Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...this has been a fun day. I took the day off to finally go see a Burgman 650 in the flesh. I only found one dealer in Middle Tennessee that had a 2003 in stock. Nobody in this area has any 2004s in stock...and no plans to stock them. The dealer has a blue '03 650 and (2) '03 400s (silver and blue). The dealer is only about a 2 hour drive away from the house. The ride up there took 4 hours due to a really bad accident on the interstate. Thank goodness I filled the car up before heading up there.

Anyway, I get to the dealer and drool over the 650 for a full minute before the young salesman comes out to 'help' me. I inquired to the asking price and he quoted me $7700 <sigh>. I had talked to another salesman on the phone a few days before and was given $6999 as the asking price. The guy on the phone had told me they wanted to get rid of all 3 and probably would not be ordering anymore.

So I began talking to this young guy and I pointed out that a new 2004 could be bought for $6575 plus $300 shipping. He said "You want me to match that???" NO...beat that price. So he takes my name, address, phone, and wants my social security number. "Urrmmmm...I told you I'm not financing it. You don't need my SSN#" Yet he tries (unsuccessfully) to press me for it. Still not sure why. Anyway, I offer him $6500 cash for the bike. Fair price I thought since they wanted to dump them and I had also expressed an interest in getting the Suzuki extended warranty (extra profit for them). Joe salesman goes off to see manager and comes back with "There's no way we can match / beat that price." No counter offer, no other comment, no questions.

Sadly, I drive away from the dealership with the friend I brought along "just in case" I needed someone to drive the car while I ride home. Again heading home....get stuck in traffic due to interstate I-65 wreck. Stop to get something to eat....and 1/2 way home the overdrive on my car stops working.

Is today a hint that I shouldn't have a Burgman? Am I forever relegated to drooling over other riders pics? Do I only live vicariously through other Burgman road stories? Nope. Time to start calling dealers in Alabama! :tongue:

Bill
In Middle Tennessee
(30 miles north of the Alabama state line)

·
Registered
308 Posts
My advice

You need a dealer like that like a hole in the head.

However, make sure they have your number in case they sober up. I paid 6650 for my Blue 03 650. I could have had an 04 for about 250-300 more.

So look around at a few more dealers...no hurry. Remmember, the ability to walk away politely from a deal is the strongest negotiating tactic.

SSN??? It is illegal to ask for it unless a credit app is submitted. Even then it is questionable,.

Keep at it. A dealer who wont sell for a fair market price is not hungry enough to then give you excellent service after the sale. They made too much fat on suckers.

Remmeber, once ou get your price - that's it !!! If you get to payment time, and they slip in delivery charges, doc fees, get up...walk away...those fees will dissapear before you hit the door.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Even if you have to go a little farther to get a good deal, you can do it by mail and phone and then take a bus to town and ride home. New bikes are all the same, the warranty is the same, service will be from your local dealer (or your self) ..all you want is a dealer looking to sell at the right price.!
You don't even have to like the dealer. 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree - increase your search area.

I called every dealer in NC when I was shopping. About 75% would give me an OTD price if I pushed. Have you tried the Atlanta dealers - I would suspect some competion in that city. I live in Raleigh and purrchased mine last Tuesday from a dealer in Wilson, NC. I did not get as good a deal as some but I am happy with my '04 blackburg. I did think about the break-in driving it back on 70mph roads. I varied the speed but found that I was only turning about 4100 rpms at 70. In fact in most of my riding since, I find the rpms are almost always between 3,000 to 4,000 rpms. I am tall and have removed the driver back rest and that helps. I rode 2 up with my wife last night and with my weight at 260 and I won't comment on hers (we both have large bones :), the bergman was much more responsive and handled much better than my HD sportster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Getting a deal

Sorry about your disappointment. You might go to Cycle Trader on line just to see if there are any dealers within your commuting distance who have listed a Burgman 650 for sale. I watched a Burgman 650 sit on a dealer's floor for nearly 6 months before I made an offer, which was accepted. They are out there, friend. You do want a dealer who has enough interest to actually read the repair manual. After my warranty has expired I will probably be doing 95% of the maintenance at home and the other 5% will be completed by a motivated and highly competent independent mechanic. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Regional differences

I really find it amazing that there are such wild differences between how the Burgman is seen in different areas. About 6 months ago, Cycle Canada magazine published a piece on touring with the 650 on the BC coast late last year. This month's (May) edition reviews the 650 and the 400 (which they call the "Junior Burger" :lol: ). Both articles were very positive. Two articles on the same machine in 6 months? That to me shows a lot of interest.

The local dealer increased his order last year for the 650, but just started selling the 400 this year...and we were probably the first ones in Ottawa to buy one. I'm looking forward to finding out what sales for the 400 will be like.

The sense up here is that Suzuki is on the "bleeding edge" of where the market is heading, and that there are going to be a lot more "cross-over" machines appearing in the near future.

Sounds to me like some dealers may be fighting a losing battle.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Bill, try going to Suzuki's web site and using its dealer locator. Many of the dealers listed have email addresses which you can use to start negotiating without spending tons of time driving around. When I was shopping for my 400, I used that tactic to start weeding out the dealers that obviously were not going to budge off of the sticker price.

Hang on, let me browse up the URL for you ... http://www.suzukicycles.com/DealerLocator/

Hope this helps. Don't get discouraged -- it took me and Mike months to find a deal that we liked, but it was worth it. Knowingly getting ripped off is no fun.

Best wishes,
Chris

·
Registered
220 Posts
Suzuki does tend to be on the "bleeding edge" from time to time.

Take, for example, the DR350SE, perhaps the finest handling and best engineered medium-sized dualsport ever made. A competition rider friend said he would trade two brand new DR400SE's for one DR350SE.

Then there's the SV650 V-twin. You could take it out of the crate and ride it directly to the race track. I blew off Ducati Monsters with mine.

As far as I can tell, the 650 Burgman is a portent of things to come.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted White said:
Then there's the SV650 V-twin. You could take it out of the crate and ride it directly to the race track. I blew off Ducati Monsters with mine.
Mr White (aka Ted),

You gave away your age in the "average age of a Burgman owner" thread. Most gentlemen of your years would not be racing Ducati Monsters at the track. Most of them are now cruising around (slowly) in Buicks.

Don't ever change. You give me hope!

Oh, and I read your article in that online magazine. The one about divorce and life thereafter... I thoroughly enjoyed it. It, um.., helped me remember why I've stayed married. Between chuckles. :wink:

Be sure to let us know when your Burgman article is available to read.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow Dima,

Most of the items I saw in Russia were priced about the same or less than here in the USA.

Bill

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Follow up on the shopping nightmare:

Been calling dealers from Utah to Ohio. Got some good prices ... but shipping was going to eat most of the savings. A young lady from the same "nightmare dealer" called me back up and wanted to inquire if I was still interested in the Burgman. Poor thing...I let her know what I thought about my 'sales experience' with them and their business practices. She got a manager on the phone and I also filled his ears with my not so random thoughts.

The upshot is he offered the 03 Blue Burgman 650 to me for $5700. OTD price of $7100 including 4 year extended warranty, Tennessee tax (9.75%?), title, and tags. He'd added in some documentation charges and wanted $499 for the warranty. Waited a few days (and burned up the cell phone) and today I got that price to $6900 OTD. Guess who's going to buy a Blue 650 tommorow? :D

Oh yeah...the car that the overdrive died in....sold that junker today for cash. Added in to what I had put away and it makes a nice down payment on the Burgman.

Once I get the new Burgman, you might not see me on here as much....I'll be off riding (and grinning like a fool). :p

Bill
Waiting for the dealer to open in the AM

·
Registered
308 Posts
billmeek said:
Follow up on the shopping nightmare:

The upshot is he offered the 03 Blue Burgman 650 to me for $5700. OTD price of $7100 including 4 year extended warranty, Tennessee tax (9.75%?), title, and tags. He'd added in some documentation charges and wanted $499 for the warranty. Waited a few days (and burned up the cell phone) and today I got that price to $6900 OTD. Guess who's going to buy a Blue 650 tommorow? :D Waiting for the dealer to open in the AM
I think there is another 300 dollars of pl;ay in your fac or in the deal if you keep grinding. Just an opinion. Second thought, it is a good price with ext warr.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Grrrrrr.....

Callled the [email protected]#$% dealer before I left (at their request) so they could prep the bike. They ask "which you want, the silver of the blue?" I reply, "You only have the 650 in Blue". "Oh...that was the price of the 400...."

The dealer from hell has stuck again.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts