Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an old Burgman 650, I'm having the rear shocks replaced - since my wife rides pillion often, I'd wonder if it were possible to add helper-springs to accept the load of her + the saddle bags for our trips? :shock:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I wonder if you could get get stiffer springs. I would almost think you should go with something like Ikon rears instead.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Motorcycle springs are available in every conceivable overall length, diameter and rate--just get a higher rate spring rather than "helper" kludges. But be aware that if the new springs (or helpers) have a rate that is a lot more than the OEM springs you may also want to look into other shocks, better suited to deal with the "bounce" of higher rate springs...

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
One caution. If you want to change the springs you will have to replace the shocks with something other than the OEM ones. The springs on those are not removable without damaging the shocks.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Actually, the springs on the rear stock shocks are able to be removed without damage as they are only held on by a lock colar of sorts. I removed them by hand to take a closer look at how the rear shock were constructed when I swapped them out for the SHOWA air shocks. Compressing the springs and removing the colar on the top of the shock from around the piston shaft will get them off there with a little bit of effort.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
I could not get the collar off of mine without having to bend it so that it was not reusable.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Ah, I guess I just got lucky with mine :(. Sorry to hear that.

Well, in hindsight, the easiest way (and safest) would be to use a spring compressor tool like this one, only bike sized -> Link 1 or link 2 or Link 3

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Maybe there was a slight difference in the 07 shock and the 09 one. They have the same part number but Suzuki might have sourced them from different suppliers leading to slight differences in construction.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Buffalo said:
Maybe there was a slight difference in the 07 shock and the 09 one. They have the same part number but Suzuki might have sourced them from different suppliers leading to slight differences in construction.
Not sure but I just looked at my '03, '05, '06, and '09 which are standard models. Mine are all the same, compress the spring, the keeper drops down, and slides past the shock shaft with the notch opening.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I couldn't find any serial or manufacturer number on either shock so they must all be the same as MJR mentioned. I re-assembled one to show both the assembled and exploded views.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Is the intent to exceed the load and weight limit of the 650?

tory1942 said:
Having an old Burgman 650, I'm having the rear shocks replaced - since my wife rides pillion often, I'd wonder if it were possible to add helper-springs to accept the load of her + the saddle bags for our trips? :shock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts