Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went riding with an organized motorcycle group, who I had ridden with a few times when I had my Honda Magna. There were about 60 bikes on this ride, and all but my Burgman 400 and 3 Honda Goldwing touring bikes were large Harleys. I noticed some raised eyebrows and smirks as they saw the Burgman 400 lined up to go on the ride with all of the big bikes. The first leg of our ride was on the interstate and I had to do 90+ miles per hour to keep up with the big Harleys. I know this is much faster than they normaly, ride and I believe they were trying to see if the scooter would keep up. It did, but about 20 of the Harleys dropped out and did not make the first stop.

The second leg was on two lane back roads, and again the speeds topped 90 MPH in some spots. The Burgman 400 kept right up, but we lost another 18 Harleys and 2 of the Goldwings. After that, they never went over 80 MPH. At the second stop they all started asking me questions about the Burgman and could not believe that it was only 400 cc and a single cylinder.

I don't like to ride that fast and may not do any more rides with that group, but If I do they will probably calm down and ride more sensibly, as the 40 bikes who dropped out were not well served by these antics, and the scooter they were trying to discourage finished the ride without falling behind.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Go Burgman Go!! :D What were the reasons for all the bikes dropping out of the ride? I could understand the Harley thing (parts falling off, all the oil leaking out) but what happened to the Goldwings? Maybe the Burgman just scared them all off :wink:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Terry Eade said:
The second leg was on two lane back roads, and again the speeds topped 90 MPH in some spots.
The whole time I was reading your post, I felt an very strong need to say "Terry, Please be careful." Then I looked at your bikes and the mileage thereon, and I felt more comfortable knowing how much experience you have.

Then, I reflected that it's most common for me to hang out with my buddies on Sunday mornings, going through the countryside at a similar pace. Maybe I'm telling myself, "Russell, please be careful."

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Wasquid said:
Then I looked at your bikes and the mileage thereon, and I felt more comfortable knowing how much experience you have.
The problem is, at those speeds and that number of bikes, it's how much experience do those OTHER guys have. The rider in front of you or right behind you may have just gotten their license yesterday. :cry:

Don

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I had that happen last summer, riding with a group from "ABATE".

link to report,

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2738

We started out slow (55 mph) and had several stops. After each stop, our speed seemed to increase. (it did) They set the pace, and kept their distance, checking me out I guess, I was doing the same. By the end of the run, we hit speeds of 80+, on some streches of road, I felt we were safe. The next run with the group was pretty much the same. If there was any "macho madness" going on, it was during acceleration, up to 60 or so. I was riding 2-up on my 650, running against Harley's of all types, Crusers, full dress. etc. Some had to take there turn, against us and the Burg.(checking out the scooter) 1 had beat us, (he got an early jump). I don't think he would be bragging about it, beating a scooter 2-up with his bike, solo.

Lets just say, we were very welcomed, and a lot of intrest was expressed in the Burg.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Terry,

So 2/3 of the bikes dropped out of the ride. Seems their ride captain didn't care too much about his riders. :? Doubt I'd be riding with them again if it were me since I ride for enjoyment rather than to show off. But I am glad you showed them the 'lil 400 scooter' can keep up with'em. :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have ridden group rides in the past and the camaraderie is great, but only at the stops. Once on the road I have always just "ridden my own ride", if the leader got the speed 10 mph above posted then I would see them at the next stop. I ride on the street for enjoyment, I ride on a track for speed.
Just because he (the leader) does not care about insurance / points / tickets that does not mean he will pay mine.
I am not worried to much about safety because I just will not do anything I feel is stupid, but what do I gain doing 85 or 90 in public? At that speed tunnel vision has long since taken over and your not riding for fun anymore.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Burgman Shines

I think that the reason we lost 40 bikes is because only the ride captain knew the exact route we were taking, and the bikes up front did not try and keep track of the folks behind. On the first leg I was in the middle of the group and when we got to the first stop (I didn't know where we were going or where we would stop), that is when we realized that we had lost the first 20 bikes. I was in the middle of the group on the second leg also and there was only one bike behind me when we reached the second stop. I would guess that we lost the 40 bikes because either they did not want to go that fast or they lost us and didn't know which way to turn when they got to an intersection or turnoff. I had never been on some of the roads before. I don't think any of them had mechanical problems.

The group rides I had been on before were with the Goldwing Roadriders and they are very good about keeping the group together and making sure no one is left behind. Of course we also had CBs on the goldwings and would keep in touch with each other this way too. On our goldwing rides we also did not make any lines longer than five bikes so cars could get between us if they wanted. We also always kept right at the speed limit, so nobody got lost or got a ticket. Different groups have different rules.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have never understood how people could have such trouble getting a group of bikers from Point A to Point B. The folks I ride with have a rule...

You are responsible for only one very simple thing: make sure the rider behind you clearly sees where you turn off of one road, onto another.

No ever has to worry about keeping up. No one gets lost.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
In my opinion the group leader in your ride was very irresponsible. Now I realize there were a lot of bikes involved in the ride . I believe he was a lot throttle happy and showed no concern or respect for his group. If I were involved in a group ride that showed this recklessness I too would drop out. It's not the kind of pace I want to set on the streets. If I want to travel that fast with a bunch of other bikes I would get back into racing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts