Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, another new guy lurking... ;)

I'm strongly considering buying a 400cc scooter, so naturally considering the Burg and the Maj. I've done a LOT of research on both already, and looked at new ones at a local dealer. I'd prefer to find a nice, used one, and I've noticed that there are quite a few used Burg's around, and almost zero used Majesties.
I'm wondering if Majesty owners just don't sell theirs, or are there just that many more Burgman's in "general circulation" by comparison? From my reading, I've found that the owners of each like them, but those who have owned both generally favor the Burg.
There's a used 2012 Burg. I'm considering, but I just started a new job and need to get a bit more in the bank before I can buy...

I'd kind of hate to get a "new" scooter, then have it sit all winter, but I'm sure some of the best prices on them will be found this time of year, too. Correct? ;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well first off, welcome to the forum from hot and sticky Tampa, Florida - it's great to have a fresh voice in the mix!

As to your question, I don't know for sure, but I believe that the root cause of this phenomenon is that there are simply a whole lot more Burgmans out there than there are Majesties.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I believe yamaha stopped selling the majesty in the USA two years ago. That alone would sway my decision. I don't know what the sales figures are, but I see a lot more Burgman 400s on the road than the Maj.

The yamaha is a fine scooter, and if that was your choice, I wouldn't dissuade you from it. But in the surface, the little suk is more popular, widely available used, parts plentiful, and new units still currently available.

I've heard the burg has more leg room, bigger trunk and a power socket. Performance is about the same; I've raced a maj once and he was out ahead a bit quick, but I overtook him at the top end.

So there you have it. Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yamaha is still selling the Majesty in the States. I have an '06, and have put about 3,500 miles on it in the past year--it has 26,000.

There are a number of basic design flaws; twin air filters that draw air from very low on the bike, and get dirty VERY quickly. A clutch that slips and shudders until it locks up at 18 mph. Poorly placed and shaped passenger floorboards. A battery location that's hard to access. The side-stand is annoying. Pre-'07 models are prone to splits in the throttle body diaphragm (including mine), and the suspension isn't much.

However, the scoot overall seems to be pretty durable, and, while painfully slow to 20 mph, it will cruise easily at 70 - 80 mph, and tops out around 105. I average 60 mpg on regular. The front of the seat lifts up, so you can carry luggage on the passenger seat.

I haven't ridden a 400 Burgman, but suspect it is the better machine of the two.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just checked the Yamaha website and it is on sale. Could have sworn they stopped selling it. Did it come back after a hiatus?

105 mph, is that actual or indicated? The burg will gladly go to that indicated speed as well, but sadly, a gps says actual at very low 90s top end. I can't imagine Yam's 400 would be 10+ mph faster.

But hey 90+ mph is plenty fast for a scooter with smaller wheels.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, the Majesty is still for sale, I looked at new models of each at a local dealer. I've read that the US version of the Maj. has not had any updates for several years. The new one is about $1000 less than a new Burg., but does not have ABS or the 12v. outlet.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Based on the supply of Burgmans for sale, I'd say that works to the buyers advantage when it comes to negotiating a price...simple supply and demand economics. You can't go wrong with a Burgman and you'll likely end up spending less if you're prepared to negotiate a price using the many choices you have to your advantage against a seller looking to sell in a very competitive market.

One other tip...try and find a Burgman that the seller has been trying to sell for a while....the longer they've been trying to sell it, the more likely they'd let it go for a bargain price...Just let them know you're looking at other Burgmans.

"Hey seller...I'm really looking strong at these two other Burgmans for sale. If you're willing to sell me yours at (name your price) we can make a cash deal right now." Its tough for a seller who's been trying to sell their bike for the last 2 months or so...to finally find someone and turn them down.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The TMax is the Yamaha Scoot they stopped selling in America because of poor sales not the Majesty!
I have a Majesty and a Burgman 400. They are both fun machines and the differences stated above are accurate. I do prefer to ride the Burgman personally as it has a lower seat height, better mirrors, more storage everywhere, and the riding position fits me better. The Majesty is however a solid performer and pretty easy to work on and my wife likes it better so the combination works well for us.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Liamjs, my Majesty runs 105 indicated, which is probably a tick under 100--the speedometer isn't as optimistic as the one on my 650. And, it's quite stable at that speed.

In my area, there are more always more Burgman 400's than Majesty's for sale.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, rats... The dealers around here have apparently updated their websites (or had a BIG sale I didn't hear about), the couple of used Burg's I was looking at are gone. :(

I'll keep an eye out for new listings, and in the meantime save up and maybe just get a new one......

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Don. Check my other thread, I bought a Burg. 400 on Saturday. :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks Don. Check my other thread, I bought a Burg. 400 on Saturday. :D
Hello... Pictures... Details...

Congratulations in any case.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I asked my scooter buddy who works at a center here in Austin and he said they sell waaaay more Burgmans and the Majesty. Just more popular he said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts