Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time owner. I purchased a used 2008/400 Burgman and recently took it in to the dealer to have the final drive oil changed. The scooter currently has 4200 miles on it. As the scooter was being ridden to the shop area the service manager said he noticed a noise coming from the rear wheel area. I had never noticed the noise over the sounds of the engine, and road noise, etc. Being a new rider, if I had heard anything I probably would have assumed it was normal. Once the scooter was put on the stand and raised on the lift, the rear wheel was rotated and the noise could be heard for throughout the entire rotation of the wheel. It sounded as though something was scraping, dragging or rubbing. The mechanic changed the rear drive oil and asked me to bring it back later so he could investigate further. I took it back a few days later and after looking deeper for the problem, I was told that it was a sealed bearing causing the noise. The mechanic said the bearing had become dry, probably due to belt dust. Since it is a sealed bearing I did not understand how this could happen and was told the only remedy was to replace the bearing. I inquired about preventive maintenance and was told the only thing to do was to have it checked every 2000/3000 miles. This situation does not sound good for a scooter that I thought was built better. I was told it was going to cost about $250 for the repairs.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any comments appreciated.

Medoze
South Boston, VA

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
You will be most unlucky to have a failed bearing at such low mileage - well unless you have done 4000 miles underwater.

I think your mechanic is shooting the breeze.

Get the bike up on the stand and take out the rear pads. Then turn the wheels and see if the 'scraping' noise has gone.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
22K on my 08 400 and haven't had any bearing failures. If you are rotating the rear wheel on the center stand it is going to make some noise as it's turning all the gears in the final drive through to the clutch bell and the brake pads will also be adding to the noise as well, I would say it's normal.

·
Premium Member
8,134 Posts
i'd say it's time to take a ride and find another mechanic with a less disreputable rep or more knowledge, or whatever, find a burgman near you and listen to it, chances are if it's a wheel bearing the back wheel will have more problems than a little noise ,
post your location and there may be someone nearby who can help, or at least come over and eyeball all the ladies at your house, drink all your liquid refreshments, eat all your food , borrow your tools and tell you the frammits is probably broke 8) :cheers:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
There is a roller bearing on the inboard end of the driven pulley/clutch shaft that becomes noisy when the grease hardens (weeps out its oil and the soap/wax base is all that's left). On a 2008 with only 4200 miles it i entirely possible that the OEM fish oil grease has deteriorated--with regard to lubricants not much use is often as bad a too much use.

This is the bearing in question:

It is Suzuki p/n 21214-15F00 and costs $24 from Boulevard Suzuki. Replacing it is not a complicated task for someone with moderate mechanical skills and appropriate tools--it was one of the first repairs I made to my '03 with 12.3k miles when I got it in May of 2011.

The bearing only has relative motion to the drive shaft (not shown above) when the scooter is stopped with the engine running, or when the rear wheel is turned with the engine stopped. On an '08 with 4200 miles I would be that you could pull the driven pulley/clutch assembly, wipe the bearing clean with a rag and solvent, re-grease it and reassemble; and be ready to go.

As to why a "sealed" bearing would have problems, a) it is an imperfect world, and b) I disagree with your mechanic's analysis as stated above. It is much more likely that the grease hardened due to infrequent use and if you pull the assembly that is most likely what you will find.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I would suggest that Cliffy is probably right in his analysis. However, also bear in mind that Suzuki often doesn't use 'proper' sealed bearings on their wheels and if someone has been hitting the power washer and directing it that way, that could cause early failure. I've not stripped wheel bearings on the Burgmans, but I've done loads of other Suzuki's and found them all to be the non sealed type. I'm thinking the Burgman is probably the same. I've seen early bearing failure many times on Suzis and other makes due to improper power washers use since the water just goes straight into the bearing. If you ever need to replace the wheel bearings and you like to power wash, make sure to buy only fully sealed bearings (Timken, SKF etc) and not the suzi oem's that are sealed on one side only.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I didn't realize that the 2007 and up models had that same problem too.
I replaced mine last summer on my 2005 and it runs nice and quiet now.
Cheap waxy grease and no seals = early flat spotting of the needle bearings and eventual failure. :?
I also repacked all the bearings with good quality axle grease at the same time.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It's the crappy fish-oil grease mostly--it weeps out the oil in just a couple years and nothing is left but hardened up soap base. A decent grease like Green-Grease will last for 5 or 6 years easily.

Single sealed bearing are OK, and and arguably better as they can be re-greased, IF the open side is facing a sealed environment such as in the front wheel hub or the driven pulley/clutch hub on a 400.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2002 Burgman 650 and noticed a handling problem at 21000 Km. Right rear wheel bearing on right side-brake side- had failed. It did not appear to have been installed with a seal. Left side bearing was rough but had not totally failed. It had a seal

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently installed new sealed bearings (rear wheel)and the old bearings were only sealed on one side. I take the seal out of the new bearings and put more grease in them as from the factory there is very little grease in them. Then simply replace the seal when done.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oh...it's worth bearing in mind the Burgman 400 does not have any rear wheel bearings. It's shaft driven and the wheel rides on a splined drive shaft so no bearings needed in the wheel. The right side exhaust hanger that also carries the brake caliper, has a bearing in it that give support to the end of the drive shaft and steadies the exhaust hangar itself. It can go out to lunch if the pressure washer is used on it, or it just plain wears out due to the enormous amount of crud it gets hit with if you ride in all weathers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts