Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I overheated yesterday in 90 degree heat in Grand Haven, Michigan. This morning I pulled the lower left Tupperware to get to the fan and thermostat. I discovered a broken adapter to the thermostat on my 2006 650 Burgman that I purchased 2 months ago, 42,000 miles on bike. My problem is...I have to buy a new $350.00 fan to get the wiring harness to connect to the thermostat. I think I need an adapter from sone ones old burned out fan with wiring harness. Any one out there with a solution to my problem

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
When you say broken do you mean the plastic is broken or the wires are just pulled out of the plug. If the wires are just pulled out you may be able to fix it. I have fixed a couple of plugs on my bike where this has happened.

Examine the plug carefully and you should be able to discover how it was snapped together when it was originally put on the wire. Carefully take it apart. The wires were probably inserted into the plug pins and the pins then crimped to hold the wires. You likely won't be able to open the pins and crimp them again where it will hold. What I did was crimp them as best I could then put a drop of solder on them to firmly attach the wires. Once you do that you can push the pins back into the plug and reassemble it.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I have a complete wire harness off a 2003 if that helps . TheReaper!

I overheated yesterday in 90 degree heat in Grand Haven, Michigan. This morning I pulled the lower left Tupperware to get to the fan and thermostat. I discovered a broken adapter to the thermostat on my 2006 650 Burgman that I purchased 2 months ago, 42,000 miles on bike. My problem is...I have to buy a new $350.00 fan to get the wiring harness to connect to the thermostat. I think I need an adapter from sone ones old burned out fan with wiring harness. Any one out there with a solution to my problem

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
There's always ebay, but I'll note I was able to repair the problematic pin on mine for minimal cost. Maybe 10 bucks out of pocket.
Where did yours break?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plastic around the smaller push into thermostat was smashed and one wire was broke and corroded badly. It is now in numerous parts and appears up repairable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I currently put a switch to turn on and off manually. We are traveling to St Ignace on Thursday and returning Friday. Just in case I am stuck in traffic and it goes to 5 spots, I can turn on the fan.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Back when I rode a V-Strom the group that I belonged to (www.stromtrooper.com) used wiring harnesses that we obtained from a guy (his name if Jim) who lives in Japan. He can get almost any connector or plug that goes on any Japanese motorcycle. He does have a minimum order size of $20 US due to the packaging and shipping from Japan. He is a good guy and I highly recommend him. His website is:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Looks his website over and if you don't see what you need, you can contact him direct via email. He has his email on his website and I am not going to post it here as he asks that users follow some instructions before emailing him. If he has the correct connectors, he will gladly make you up a cable with connectors attached for a fair sum. As I have already said, he is a good guy and I have used his products several times.

Doug

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
You could clean up the contacts on the thermostat and solder the wires to it and heatshrink all the connections then seal it in with some silicone. wont have to deal with a harness then.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Don't wait for 5 bars, if it gets to 4 it's already running a little too warm.

I currently put a switch to turn on and off manually. We are traveling to St Ignace on Thursday and returning Friday. Just in case I am stuck in traffic and it goes to 5 spots, I can turn on the fan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts