Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I are about to buy new scooters. We both currently own Honda Reflex's (250cc) and love them but they are to slow on the interstate. Cost isn't really an issue because the Majesty is cheaper but the Burgman is being offered with 0% financing. Which way would you go? I'm asking the same question on the Majesty forum.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have ridden both and went for the Burgman, though I thought the Maj better built,
the Burgman felt better to ride, but the seating feels different and I would try
to get a test ride or at least a sit on both.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply Ralph. I forgot to mention that I like doing some of my own work and read once that the burgy was harder to or needed more special tools than the Majesty. Have you found that is true?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Not worked on a Majesty or know anything about it's servicing but
I don't find the Burgman bad in this respect worst thing is getting
the tupperware off to get at things, I do think it's more expensive
to service than a bike, but not horrifyingly so.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I recently did a bike trade in and was looking for a 400. I traded in my 650 Burgman. I found that the Majesty was a little quicker but the seating was a bit more cramped. I would think that I would have bought either but the dealer happened to have a 400 Burgman on hand. I don't think you will be sorry with either. Ernie

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
On this site I think you will get the answer of the Burgman. My guess on the Majesty site they will recommend theirs. :wink:
As far as special tools go I never used any in 46k+miles of doing service on my 400. Tires I did have mounted at a shop everything else I did. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
well if she can afford it, go for gold, and I think the side by side will barely skin out the burger on reliability and long distance trips, that's how I made my choice

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
As someone else wrote, you need to sit on both bikes. While they are virtually the same in dimensions, weight and engine hp, the "cockpit" area has a decidedly different feel to each. It may be that one of you likes the "fit" of the Majesty, and the other likes the "fit" of the Burgman better. None of our comments can decide that for you. :)

Here's some things I've noticed in comparing the two, especially since I originally planned to buy the Majesty. It was coming out on top in every comparison to the Burgman 400 (B400). What I didn't know in reading the reviews, was the B400 they were comparing it to was the older version, the 2006 and earlier model. Suzuki totally redesigned the B400 in 2007 and set their sights on the Majesty to beat it. IMHO, I think they did. But both are still good rides.
  • The Majesty hasn't been updated since 2003...except for the version sold in Europe. The USA model is the same with just a few small changes over the years.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has the largest underseat storage of any maxi-scooter in the world. The Yamaha is close, but it is split into two areas...so one large item would have a problem fitting perhaps where it would simply drop into the storage area on the Burgman.

[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The fuel economy on the B400 is better. Most of us get in the mid-60s MPG with occasional forays into the low 70s. The Majesty gets in the low 50s.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The dashboard on the B400 is readable in virtually all lighting conditions. The Majesty's washes out in bright sunlight.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 dashboard includes a MPG readout. That's unavailable on the Majesty.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has a flash-to-pass button. I'm not sure if the Majesty has hazard lights, but the B400 does.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has a 12-volt outlet. The Majesty does not.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has usable mirrors. One of the first mods many people make on their Majesty is to buy mirror extensions so they see more than their elbows.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • Maintenance intervals are better on the B400. Many of us find our CVT belt lasts far past the recommended maintenance interval of 14,000 miles. I've been changing mine at about 22,000 miles and they are still within specs. I don't remember the details, but there seems to be an issue with the two air filters on the Majesty. There's one on the B400, and some of us wash the filter and reuse it, saving $$$.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has had ABS since 2011. The Majesty doesn't.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has a backrest that is adjustable from under the seat without tools. If I remember right, the Majesty's is adjustable too, but requires tools.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • We have Mitch (micbergsma) and his videos on how to do everything on your B400 but teardown the engine. They don't. ;) Tupperware removal on the newer B400s is minimal. Changing the oil doesn't require any removal of tupperware. Changing the final drive fluid requires removing the outer and inner CVT covers. You can do everything inside the CVT to include replacing the clutch in less than an hour. I don't mean that you need to replace the clutch...but it shows you how easy it is to service yourself.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
It all adds up to the Burgman 400 being more livable over the long term. :) That said, none of the above matters if you can't stand either the looks or the seating position of the Burgman 400.

If you want to save several thousand $,$$$...buy a gently used Burgman 400 (or Majesty). From 2007 and on, there are few changes to either except the amount of depreciation you'll pay. In 2008, the headlights were changed from the European specs to the US arrangement. The exhaust gasket was changed, and the clutch went from a 3 shoe design to a 5 shoe design. In 2009, some changes were made to the cooling ducting to the CVT. None were brought in for 2010. In 2011, they introduced ABS on all models. And it has remained pretty much unchanged AFAIK. The colors also changed with each year. You can pick up a gently used 2008 400 for about $4k...or a new one for about $8K when you get out of the dealership after paying all the additional fees.

And whether Suzuki offers 0% financing or not...you still have to pay for it. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks Chris, that is what I'm talking about. Some real useable information. Unless someone on the Majesty side comes up with some really good stuff we could soon own a couple of Burgy 400's Tom

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Desert Rat said:
On this site I think you will get the answer of the Burgman. My guess on the Majesty site they will recommend theirs. :wink:
As far as special tools go I never used any in 46k+miles of doing service on my 400. Tires I did have mounted at a shop everything else I did. :thumbup:
I agree with Desert Rat - BUT maybe the real answer could be that most people will not want to ever admit that they made a mistake in their choice.......!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Variety being the spice of life, why not get one of each? Or is a matched pair of importance?

I'm sure if you got one of each, there would be interested parties in both forums for regular updates of a "long term test". :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought about getting one of each but with all the positive stuff here on the Burgman site and really no good stuff on the Majesty site I'm pretty darn sure at this point we will have two Burgman 400s to the garage by this time next year. I'm going to pick up my 08 this weekend and I'll have a full report after riding it for a week or two. Wish me luck. Oh and BTW it only took me less than 5 days to sell my 03 reflex with 13,240 miles on it for $2000.00. I'll miss that little girl but time to move up and on. Wish me luck. Tom

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I know you are going to love your new (used) :lol: 08 400. I bought my 07 400 used with 500 miles on it & then sold it after it had 46k+ miles.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Hammer said:
:thumbup: Chris
Ditto.

I looked at a couple of Majestys while searching for a maxi-scooter a couple years ago--it was the storage space (or the Majesty's lack of same) that moved me to the Burgman; I also was not wild about the look of the twin "pogo-stick" rear suspension...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up my 08 Burgman 400 two days ago and couldn't be happier. 1800 miles and only $2800.00, I think i got a great deal. Thanks for all the help. Tom (aka docjones)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
No special tools required for my Burger 400. The Harbor Freight 1/2 inch electric impact wrench is nice.
My homemade variator- clutch cover holder is a necessity though. Several others, on this site, have made this item.
I have found that no Tupperware need be removed to R&R the belt or remove the back wheel and tire.

The B400 was not on my short list originally but I'm glad I bought it. (Used) Saved a ton $$$$$ and it had low miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Mike, I made one of those tools for my Honda Reflex, I wonder if it will work? Is there a post on the tool and how it was made? God knows I'll be into that variator before to long.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts