Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a NEW Burgman. Based on the fact I ride about 10k or more a year I would consider the extended warranty. Since I have been reading the other threads I want to know for what services MUST the bike be taken to the dealer for in order to keep the warranty valid?

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
None.

You just need to keep records that you either did the service yourself or had someone do it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I am in no way contradicting - but you need to check your local consumer laws. There can be a difference in the way a standard warranty (and the responsibilities of the dealer and manufacturer) is treated by law and the way the law may treat an extended warranty - for instance the latter may be treated as contract law rather than consumer law. I hasten to add I have no expertise in this area nor have I had an extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
The USA passed the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in 1975 that says they cannot void a warranty because you did not use the dealer for service. That Act also applies to extended warranties under section 301(8). The act also says you can't be forced to use dealer supplied parts when you do the service.

The only thing they can do is charge you to fix a specific thing that was damaged because the work was done wrong or the part that was used was faulty. However they have to prove the part or work caused the problem and the rest of the warranty cannot be voided because of it. Anything other than that one specific fault will still be covered.

Here is a link to a FTC discussion of the subject. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume ... lt192.shtm

And here is another discussion of it by The Center for Auto Safety.
http://www.autosafety.org/the-magnuson- ... n-overview

·
Registered
203 Posts
I called the phone number for the Warranty Company, keep receipts for what you bought,oil filters parts in order to validate the dates,write a log of what you did date and job. Also follow the manuel on maintance schudule. :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Craig - thanks for the comprehensive post - with references.
I am sure that will prove to be most helpful to US members well into the future. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's why I am a member here. Someone will have a good answer with some facts to back it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a brand new Burgman 400 the last day the 0% was supposed to end in May. Also purchased to extended factory warrenty. The dealer told me that I dont need to have the bike factory serviced to keep the warrenty valid and that I may perform any or all service work myself. Just make sure to keep all receipts for maintaince purchases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts