Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'
FYI:

I am a new Burgman owner (a used 2oo3 AN 650). Today I had my first opportunity to check my fuel economy. I used 3.244 gallons to travel 140.1 miles or 43.24 MPGs........ My four wheel vehicle is a 2ooo VW Jetta 5 speed with the diesel option. It gets 47.2 MPGs and is a tad bit heavier. I am not bragging about one of my vehicles nor am I complaining about the other. I just found this info somewhat interesting and thought others may too..........

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
43.24 is a bit low, unless you are running with a Clearview XXL windscreen or at constant speeds over 75 mph. You might want to take mileage readings on the next couple of tanks. There can be some variance in how full the tank is when the pump clicks off. With a stock windscreen you should be at least in the high 40's - equivalent to what your oil burner gets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TNX

'
Paul,

No high speed stuff 4 this boy, scares me too much. Also I have a stock wind screen.

Yes, your suggestion to be patient is a good one. I will do it a few more times n try to be consistent duplicating the fill level each time re fueling.

I do note that it seems that you can keep the revs lower if U use the manual transmission mode. I seem to do 80 to 90% of my driving in automatic mode. U think this makes a difference?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: TNX

Glenn said:
'

I do note that it seems that you can keep the revs lower if U use the manual transmission mode. I seem to do 80 to 90% of my driving in automatic mode. U think this makes a difference?
No I don't. I do at least 95% of my riding in Auto mode. It should give you optimal gas mileage. I suspect that for one reason or another you put more gas in the tank at the end of the ride than was in it when you started recording your mileage. A few more mileage readings will tell.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I am looking forward to much better economy with the lardy than I am getting with the svelte! :lol:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Glenn my numbers mirror Dero's to a tee. I also get 22 kilometres per litre giving me a range of 330 kms per tank or 51 + mpg.

When filling your machine make sure you put it on the center stand or you will not get the full amount in the fuel tank. If you filled using the sidestand this will account for your lower mileage.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Glenn said:
'
FYI:

I am a new Burgman owner (a used 2oo3 AN 650). Today I had my first opportunity to check my fuel economy. I used 3.244 gallons to travel 140.1 miles or 43.24 MPGs........ My four wheel vehicle is a 2ooo VW Jetta 5 speed with the diesel option. It gets 47.2 MPGs and is a tad bit heavier. I am not bragging about one of my vehicles nor am I complaining about the other. I just found this info somewhat interesting and thought others may too..........
Over the 32,000 km (20,000 miles) that I've had the 650, it has averaged 64 miles per gallon Imperial which would be 53 MPG US. I have a Givi windshield, Givi E52 and ride mostly 90 to 120 kmh (55 to 75 MPH).

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Gas Mileage

I'm 280 lbs with the tall windscreen. I'm on the freeway most all the time. I'm getting 42 mpg.

It's been mentioned before, that if you're using 49 state gas, you.ll get 4 more mpg. Shell gas will help the mileage as well.

The correct tire pressure will really help the mileage too. Check em often.

·
Registered
276 Posts
59.43 mpg Imperial average over the 6000 miles since new. Mostly two up, underseat and Givi box loaded, wide range of speeds depending on whether we are cruising side roads, or getting to and from on the freeway. 67 mpg best at 1444 miles, 49mpg worst at 917 miles, so its not a function of the engine being bedded in.
Regards

·
Registered
611 Posts
I get 42-44mpg on my 650, but 60mpg on Ann's 400. My 650 has the larger Givi windshield, and I'm a big guy that likes to ride pretty fast - but I have to wonder if the engine braking (which I seem to use a lot) is what's killing me? I wish I could just coast-down from speed.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Keep in mind Robert, that the Imperial gallon is bigger than the US gallon, os the mileage will look better in the UK.

·
Registered
611 Posts
More accurately I'm wondering if my riding style combined with the CVT's version of engine braking is contributing to it. I grew up riding two-stroke multis with no engine braking, and my riding style shows it. I like to hit the gas and then back off and coast down through stuff or coming up to places where I want to slow down. The Burgman 650 really doesn't seem to coast at any speed, so I wonder if my riding style is doing something similar to using the gas, then the brakes, then the gas... When I ride Ann's 400 my mileage is as high as everyone elses. I'll have to take it for a day ride in the country and check my mileage when I'm not letting off the gas to account for some car darting in front of me. :|

Are the people getting 50mpg US getting that highway only? I'm not sure if I've checked it after a tank of only out-of-town riding - but I haven't ever gotten over 44.

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
Robert,
I did, on ocassion get in the 43 mpg range. Most of the problem was opening up the throttle to full, on acceleration and playing with the power button. I learned by opening it up 1/2 - 3/4 gave me close to the same acceleration, with out sacrificing mileage. Like driving a Car or Truck.

My best mileage was crusing 2 up at 60-62 mph indicated, about 52 mpg on a 100+mile trip. Crusing at 70 indicated, lowers mine to about 48-49 mpg. Longer runs do improve mileage, as the bike stays warmed up, and not cooling down and warming up, several times per tankfull of fuel.

Taking it a little easier on acceleration, and slowly rolling of the throttle on deceleration, even on short runs of 20 -30 miles, I still get consistantly high 40's (48-49) riding 2 up. Slowly rolling off the throttle, eases the engine braking, as well as the brakes.

Once that throttle is held past 3/4 for any length of time (crusing @ 85 indicated), or "spirited driving", the mileage really drops.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
allwalk said:
...When filling your machine make sure you put it on the center stand or you will not get the full amount in the fuel tank. If you filled using the sidestand this will account for your lower mileage.
Sorry, but that's not correct.

Filling on the side stand will result in less total fuel, thus less range; but that won't affect the miles per gallon in any way (assuming it's on the side stand for both the before-trip and after-trip fill-ups used when computing).

What will affect the mileage is lots of short trips, or lots of stop-and-go city driving. Once the 650s are broken in they seem to average high 40s to low 50s on the highway, and low to mid 40s in the city.

Robert said:
More accurately I'm wondering if my riding style combined with the CVT's version of engine braking is contributing to it.... I like to hit the gas and then back off and coast down through stuff or coming up to places where I want to slow down. The Burgman 650 really doesn't seem to coast at any speed, so I wonder if my riding style is doing something similar to using the gas, then the brakes, then the gas...
The Burgman 650 does require a different style; best mileage, and smoothest ride, comes from learning to smoothly roll on and off the throttle. After an amazingly short time, according to most riders I've talked to, it just comes naturally and is one of the great features of the 650 in my opinion.

I expect that in a short time your average mileage figures will come up. It may not match a diesel cage, but I bet it's more fun. 8)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts