Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've had my Burgman 400 for nearly 3 years and I daren't attempt to run the tank dry, with having no reserve. I know the tank capacity is 13 litres, and that I typically get up to 125 miles before the needle goes to zero, and I need a refill - but only about 8 litres goes in! What is the maximum range that anyone has gone to?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome Cyber Scoot!!

I don't know crud about the metric system 8) well sort of...and but, I know this doesn't parle' into a (your) 400cc realm (or, for that matter what you are specifically asking about! :oops: ) ....but just for info... Today I finally went over 130 miles without that stupid "fill-me-up fill-me-up fill-me-up fill-me-up! ding dag electronic 650-garnered electronic dashboard dog barking at me! I got allll the way to a whopping 142 miles before it happened. (you may not know about that, [i guess the 400 has a "warning light?] ...but in my simple mind, the celebration was enough cause enough to buy a bottle of wild turkey :wink: )

Here's a non-solicited responce...sorry....

I say...first, make sure your intake and gas feed system is very clean (is there no soot or grime anywhere? - no? good! Also, make sure your battery and starter are ready and able for the task of repeated starting - newish battery - non-abused starter? good again!

then get it to where you would start to worry... capacity-wise....AND, have 16 oz bottle of gas at the ready. Run it till it dies.

Pour your 16 ounce coke bottle of gas into it, and it should light off (after a modicum of cranking)....then? the very first thing to do is fill it up!

Then, after alla dat, - given a few calculations (and miscalculations,) you'd have THE "bitter end" that you can pretty much rely on.

Dumb butt Pete 8)

Geeze - so sorry, I thought I wouldn't expound.
yer scootin buddy.
pete

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am very comfortable up to 150 miles, you do the conversion to klicks. At that point I look for gas. I get from 55 to 62 mpg, the 62 being longer runs at 60 mph on the average. I do fill up of course, when the gas station are farther apart. Haven't run out yet. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have run my 650 over 180 miles on one load of gas. Of course everything was blinking at me and I had visions of pushing the bike to the nearest pump.
I thought about taking a 12 oz. bottle of petro and running to stop to see the limit - though 180 is fine. I'm usually ready for a rest and stretch by then anyway.
Glad for the hint of warmer weather - come on spring. :lol:

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Cyber Scooter. Glad to have you join us.

The fuel guage on the 400 is highly pessimistic. I ignore the guage and use the trip meters instead. When the guage shows empty, I'm at about 1/2 a tank. I normally put 170 - 180 miles between fillups. I estimate I can easily put 200 miles on with the worst mileage I've gotten so far on the 400.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to the group CyberScooter :D

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I will be getting a Executive 2005 650 in May.
It's supposed to have overdrive. (we'll see)

If so it will be interesting to see how far it will go compared to 650s without.
In other words is, does it offer any real benefit :)

I would imagine the biggest savings will be at triple digit highway speeds, where the lardy gulps the most gas at present.
(Power mode traffic light takeoffs not withstanding.) :twisted:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome Cyber Scooter!

Love your name--good description of our Burgmans.
Listen up non-believers! I've ridden about 150 miles
on a tank.

Burgwoman400 USA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Burgman 400 mileage

Hi Burgy riders

Thanks for your replies! So my suspicions were about right! I'll try to be brave enough to go for a bigger distance next time, but carry some extra fuel in the back. At worst, I'll try to run out on a downhill bit of road.

I should have said before that I am a brand new member, but now that we've talked, it's great to feel very welcome.

BCNU

The Cyber Scooter.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Welcome to the ICOBO, Cyber Scooter!

Cyber Scooter said:
I've had my Burgman 400 for nearly 3 years and I daren't attempt to run the tank dry, with having no reserve. I know the tank capacity is 13 litres, and that I typically get up to 125 miles before the needle goes to zero, and I need a refill - but only about 8 litres goes in! What is the maximum range that anyone has gone to?
I'm a 650 rider, so I can't help you with exact numbers, but if you're planning a long trip and want to get the greatest possible range be sure to fill your tank with the bike on the center stand. When you're using the side stand, the lean of the bike -- in the direction of the filler opening -- will prevent adding the maximum possible volume of fuel.
Canon said:
I have run my 650 over 180 miles on one load of gas. Of course everything was blinking at me and I had visions of pushing the bike to the nearest pump.
That happened to me last summer on my Canada to Mexico run.

Somehow I missed a planned fuel stop in Bakersfield, California. Towards the end I was "drafting" a string of 18-wheelers at 55 - 60MPH (the same trucks I had passed earlier that afternoon, no doubt) so they could "suck me along" for maximum mileage. I was keeping track of each emergency phone I passed so I'd know if I'd be closer walking forward or back if I ran out.

By the time I finally found a gas station, I had gone 201 miles! I put the bike on the center stand, and added 3.88 gallons -- to a 4 gallon tank! :shock:

Being out in the desert with only 0.12 gallons in the tank was a nerve racking experience. I have decided that even the best planning can go awry, so this summer when I do it again (for an IBA Certificate) I'm going to carry two MSR fuel bottles just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Brian said:
Towards the end I was "drafting" a string of 18-wheelers at 55 - 60MPH (the same trucks I had passed earlier that afternoon, no doubt) so they could "suck me along" for maximum mileage.
And you were sucking diesel soot :? Not fun, I know. When I back my car into my exhaust I get a whiff of diesel exhaust.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Hi

On the 400 I rode routinely on the trip meter to 150 miles, never ran out of fuel - the minimum remaining fuel at the worst was 1.2 litres.

You can see my mpg in my sig - if you do better than that you will be even more in 'reserve' at 150 miles. I always needed a pee by then anyway!! :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
My 400K3 can go to 205 miles before I get nervous about the following 5 minutes.

If I don't know where a gas station is, I slow down. The 400 gets better
milage below 4,500 rpm in any situation.

Canon,
Putting 12 oz. of gas in it After it's run out? I wouldn't.
By draining the tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, and injector, I doubt that 12 oz.
would go very far.
After filling the lines, 12 oz. would go just a few miles.
There's nothing like riding along, knowing that it's about to go completely unported
with absolutely no services in sight! (twilight zone music).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I agree with the 400's gauge being pessimistic. The Manual says I can take 3.4 gal. (sorry for the old english measurements) and I fill up when I've almost bottomed out the red, and it never takes more than 2.5 to fill it. That tells me they programmed a 60-80 mile cushion into the guage to make sure we wouldn't run out. I just follow the guage and fill up every 150 miles or so, and I never have to worry about the "low gas crisis" of not finding a station.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
As can be seen in this thread, 150 miles is about the max limit I'll now ride before filling up. I may just start using the pessimistic guage. :?

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
billmeek said:
As can be seen in this thread, 150 miles is about the max limit I'll now ride before filling up. I may just start using the pessimistic guage. :?

Gee thats funny Bill is this a Deja vu experience :lol:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
billmeek said:
Gee thats funny Bill is this a Deja vu experience :lol:
Circular reasoning, maybe? :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts