Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has started making a terrible noise!

I'll include a video so you can see yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTy0Awpw-U

For possibly useful (or useless) background information: I've been on 2 trips out of town for 2 weeks each on business in the last 6 weeks. I returned last Friday, drove Saturday and Sunday (for maybe 50 to 60 miles total). I was coming back into the office from my lunch break, when suddenly I started hearing a terrible sound. For a moment, I wasn't sure if it was my bike or another vehicle. I even looked around to see if someone was operating an electric saw nearby!

I want to say that I lost some power, but I'm not certain. It was still able to ride, and I quickly got it back to the office (I was less than a minute away) and parked it. I didn't smell anything funny, there was no smoke, just that terrible sound!

There is a local mechanic that is experienced with Burgmans that I've been trying to reach, but I have had no luck getting in contact with him yet.

Should I call a non-Suzuki motorcycle shop? Have it towed 30 miles to the nearest Suzuki dealer? Is there anything I could look at myself?

This is my primary form of transportation, so I'd really appreciate some help!

-Chris

(P.S. The site wasn't accepting my old login, and it claimed my e-mail address wasn't registered...)

·
Registered
110 Posts
A little more info needed? how many miles on the scoot, has the belt ever been changed, any warning lights on, have you checked the oil. Hard to tell about the noise the audio is not real good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
- It only has one previous owner, but he is deceased and his wife (who sold it) did not have all the maintenance records or knowledge. However, there were a lot of clues (based on accessories, modifications, the mileage, etc) that he was a bit of an enthusiast who likely followed forums like this and Mitch's videos, and that it was probably taken care of well.
- It was originally going to be sold on commission by a local motor sports dealership, and they claimed that the belt was in good condition... but I have my doubts about whether they actually checked...
- It has a little over 32,000 miles, and I've probably put about 1,000 on it.
- Oil was changed about 600 miles ago.
- The oil level looked normal.
- I did not notice any warning lights, but I might have been distracted by the very obvious sound...
- I was still able to continue riding it to park it, the clutch engages, and it will travel.

I've been afraid to ride it in the current state, as I'm not sure it will cause additional damage...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
To me it sounds like a transmission problem, as if the clutch has come loose on the gearbox input shaft. This sometimes happens when owners don't use a torque wrench to do up the main holding nut. The clutch may still work but it makes a very loud clattery noise. You must not use it until you get it checked. Of course, there are other things it could be but that was my first thought on hearing that noise. It kinda sounds a bit familiar to another bike brought to me making a noise just like that. The other thing it might be is the variator nut coming loose. or the camchain tension letting go. At 32,000 miles the engine should not have anything wrong inside. It's capable of really high mileage before needing any real spannering. It shouldn't be hard to diagnose for anyone who knows the 400 Burgman. There isn't all that much to go wrong with them actually. I would not take it to anyone who does not know the Burgman 400. Non Burgman people are often mystified and will struggle to know where to start leading to a bigger bill quite often. Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you can put it on the center stand and have someone work the throttle where you can get your ear close to the CVT and determine if the noise is coming from the engine or CVT. If it in the CVT there is a vast amount of knowledge and how to information on this forum to take the CVT apart determine the problem, the belt if your lucky, and make the repairs yourself. I would offer my assistance but by the video your not very close to the frigid state of Indiana. 8 degrees and windchill 15 below 0. Good luck and safe scootin. Jay

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yeah!! Sounds like the Fin Pulley rubbing the CVT Cover!! Because of the Quit engine Stop..

You Can Rule out the Cylinder,Rings if were Broken Would not have Started!!

if it's the Fin Pulley Recommend you don't Start it NO MORE..

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Chris, where are you located ? If you are anywhere near the Tampa Bay area I can recommend a great mechanic. If you list your location someone close may be able to help. Good luck, I hope it's not anything to severe.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I was thinking variator nut loose and so variator fins against cvt case as Elliott said. You cold remove the cvt air intake and filter and see if the fins are touching

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris, where are you located ? If you are anywhere near the Tampa Bay area I can recommend a great mechanic. If you list your location someone close may be able to help. Good luck, I hope it's not anything to severe.
I'm north of Atlanta, GA. (Roswell/Alpharetta area). I have contact information for a guy who has a good reputation for working on Burgmans, but he seems to be out of town or something.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you have ANY time to spare. you could take off the CVT covers and check this out quickly. I did it. that proves it not difficult !

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Like Chappy Said, Pull belt cover 3 Screws , and then Filter 2 Screws, If this is the Case there may be a lot of Damage on the Fin Pulley, Against the Air Filter Screen as well.

This happened to me Once and the Fin Pulley was Totaled + the Filter Screen

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm north of Atlanta, GA. (Roswell/Alpharetta area). I have contact information for a guy who has a good reputation for working on Burgmans, but he seems to be out of town or something.
I live in Acworth / Woodstock area myself. Where is the bike stuck at?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you have ANY time to spare. you could take off the CVT covers and check this out quickly. I did it. that proves it not difficult !
Hey, I like your humbleness!!!;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Belt cover is pretty easy to pull on this scooter, several videos showing it on youtube. 8mm bolts all around to get the cover off.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Belt cover is pretty easy to pull on this scooter, several videos showing it on youtube. 8mm bolts all around to get the cover off.
My Fin Pulley Broke them and the Mounting Brackets That Hold the Filter Screen, Shame, I had to JB Weld the Filter screen back on mines.. Im real sure that clafferty, is just Rub Damage around the CVT Cover and Fin Scrape Damage, Pray that none of the Fins Broke off, it Sounds Bad on the Video....:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in Acworth / Woodstock area myself. Where is the bike stuck at?
Hi,

Sorry, I had a bit of a hectic week, and then of course Georgia had the mess of a snow storm. It's not far from North Fulton Hospital. I'll shoot you a direct private message as well.

I've been trying to talk to a few local places around, but it seems I've been having some poor luck reaching people who are available.

Unfortunately, I don't have an ideal work space for a bike (yet), or tools (though I might be able to borrow some.

Do you know a good local Burgman mechanic?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi,

Sorry, I had a bit of a hectic week, and then of course Georgia had the mess of a snow storm. It's not far from North Fulton Hospital. I'll shoot you a direct private message as well.

I've been trying to talk to a few local places around, but it seems I've been having some poor luck reaching people who are available.

Unfortunately, I don't have an ideal work space for a bike (yet), or tools (though I might be able to borrow some.

Do you know a good local Burgman mechanic?
Did you figure out what the problem was?

Looks like we are in for Snowstorm # 2 tomorrow :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts