Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I and a friend rode 160 miles yesterday. First good ride after the long winter. We rode mostly down in southern Iowa around the Lacy Keosauqua State Park area. While in the park and a couple other times on the ride the wifes 04' 650 Burgman lost power and died. We sat a while and played with switches (including side stand) and it would fire back up. Screen kept saying "CHECK" , but nothing was ever wrong?? Called dealer today and he said some gas stations have BAD GAS and to put some SEA FOAM additive in the gas tank and hopefully it will clean out the injectors. Hopefully this is all that is needed. Mostly happened while climbing small grade,but not real steep. Gas tank was full. Pretty upset since bike has less than 1,000 miles on it. Anyone out their had this similar problem and what did you do? Again thanks in advance for your help from this fine group of scoot riders!

Its Wednesday April 13th and we got Burgman back from dealer today. Seems the Burgman had a bad "Kill Switch". Switch has been replaced and hopefully problem solved

:D
Helix

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
If you had old gas in it and did not add gas stabilizer before putting it away for the winter, then you have your answer.:wink:

It has happened to someone else already on this forum.
A "gas" search should find it.

Injector cleaner and new gas should fix it.
Also check that your spark plug caps are on tightly.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Where did you store the bike for the winter? Did you put stabilizer in the tank during storage? Is this the same gas that sat in the scoot all winter?

I did not have problems with start up after the winter myself. However I am putting injector cleaner in my first few tanks to get rid of any varnish buildup that may have occurred over the storage period.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The winter gas tank has been burnt. We took the same trip a few weeks ago on the winter tank with SEA FOAM in it and the scoot didn't miss a beat, so this would be fresh gas yesterday from a couple different gas stations. Maybe there was some stuff still in bottom of tank moving around from the winter storage? Thanks for replying and trying to help. I am going to put some more sea foam in with different gas and try again.

:?
Helix

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Does using any, or a lot of fuel injector cleaner do anything to the oil?

I read somewhere that it might be a good idea to change the oil after using a lot of this stuff.

Any truth to this?

Anyone?
Allwalk?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick,
I am not sure if it hurts oil or not? I also would like to know if I should get fuel injector cleaner or SEA FOAM? Are we talking apples to apples?
Maybe I should get a automotive injector cleaner rather than trying SEA FOAM again. Anyone know if this stuff hurts the scoot? My dealer was a little vag on the SEA FOAM,but thought it was OK to use.

Thanks again.......

8)
Helix

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re: Burgman lost power?

Helix said:
Screen kept saying "CHECK" , but nothing was ever wrong??
"CHECK" means that the red kill switch on the upper right handlebar is in the engine-off position.

It may have been inadvertantly switched during the ride, causing the motor to stop running.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rich,

I think I would use a fuel conditioner/ cleaner rather than an injector cleaner. The best fuel cleaner I have found is from Suzuki. I have gotten bad gas a couple of times on the Suzuki Bandit that I used to have and this stuff cleaned it right up. If your local dealer said to use SeaFoam he probably doesn't carry the Suzuki stuff though.
Another thought. Have you checked the spark plug caps/ coil packs to see if they are seated tight on the spark plugs. They may have come loose with the little mishap she had awhile back.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Again I say - if you run fuel system cleaner through you induction system some of it it will get dragged down to the crankcase.

Run the juice through your gas system, but, after that, change your oil asap (like within 800 miles?) - my gosh - it's not an emergency type thing.

Pedz

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I maybe wrong and probably am but this is the way I look at it. If the injector cleaner is good enough for my regular gas , oil using car/truck than why not my motorbike.

The only thing I do different is that I use one of those small bottles for 4 tankfulls (approx 60 litres) I don't use the whole bottle at once. The instructions on the side of the bottle says it will treat 60 litres so I only use approx. a quarter of a bottle for each fill up.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Ditto what Wasquid said; if "Chec" was showing on the dash, then most likely the kill switch was inadvertently tripped or there's a short in it somewhere.

If the fuel system was having a problem I'm pretty sure you would have gotten an "F1" indication on the panel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Thanks! to everyone for helping me try and solve this problem. Put SEA FOAM in yesterday and took for a brisk ride running it a little harder than normal to try and get rid of any varnish that might be there from winter storage. I will also make sure that all the connections are tight. I don't think the kill switch is the problem, because both times the bike tryed to fire up (which it wouldn't do with the kill switch on). Just had to let is sit a minute and turn key on and off and it would fire right up!
:roll:

Helix

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scoot heading to dealer Wednesday. Was on it last night crusing 60mph and the engine just died like I ran out of gas even though I had plenty. I pulled it to side of road and noticed CHECK was up on dash. I turned key on and off a couple of times and CHECK stayed on and scoot would not start. Finally with CHECK still on and Key turned on I hit Kill Switch and could hear something clear its self and scoot started and I drove home. At home it did it a couple times while sitting in driveway. I think there must be a electrical short somewhere or a computer problem. Im sure dealer will get it figured out.
:? :( :?
Helix

·
Registered
719 Posts
Helix said:
Finally with CHECK still on and Key turned on I hit Kill Switch and could hear something clear its self and scoot started and I drove home. At home it did it a couple times while sitting in driveway. I think there must be a electrical short somewhere or a computer problem. Im sure dealer will get it figured out.
Good luck with it. I think you are narrowing the possibilities down. I look forward to hearing how it is resolved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts