Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the unthinkable happened to me. I'm locked out of my Burgman. Unable to move it or even turn it on because of the shutter locked on me! :( HELP PLEASE!!

This is my 2nd Burgman and I just bought it 1 month ago. It only came with one key (a spare one). So I ordered new black key set on ebay and when I got it, I tried using the shutter and it locked, but then it wouldn't unlock on me. I'm in state of panic. I cannot unlock it. I called the dealer and they're telling me to have it towed there and it will be $375 for the whole new part + labor ~400 = $800 for this?? Please tell me there's another alternative!

Looking forward to hearing back from you! Please message me.

Thanks
Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
There is a way to pop it open without a key. I've seen it done. I'll E'mail you how they did it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Any Burgman key can lock the shutter, even a screwdriver could lock it. Only the right key will unlock it, there are workarounds though.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Can it be drilled out? You'd never be able to use it again, but would you want to after this?

Chris

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The shutter is purely mechanical in its operation. Whittle the end of a piece of wood to a suitable size, jam it into the shutter and turn. Kenp

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
The shutter is purely mechanical in its operation. Whittle the end of a piece of wood to a suitable size, jam it into the shutter and turn. Kenp
:thumbup:

With help like this we can do no wrong. :lol:

Some of you guys should spend more time reading some of the posts and you will save a ton of money.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57174&p=532655&hilit=shutter#p532655

What is the name and location of the dealer so others can avoid him like the plague? He generated your problem and wants to make a lot of money off of you.

The shutter feature is a piece of crap which allows the dealers to rip off the customers. In my opinion it is the worst thing on a Burgman. Suzuki should be a shamed of retaining that item on the Burgmans.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
peelbrow said:
Only partially true, unfortunately. True for locking the shutter, but there are magnets embedded in the hex head that must align properly to unlock the shutter.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Why the dealer's fault? He sold the bike with no means to lock the shutter.

In the 50s, a more trusting era, if you turned the key to off instead of lock you could throw the key away and still start and drive your car.

You still needed a key to unlock the doors,though, which could be locked without a key. Same difference here.

Not dealer fault, user error.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
greenheron said:
peelbrow said:
Only partially true, unfortunately. True for locking the shutter, but there are magnets embedded in the hex head that must align properly to unlock the shutter.
I didn't believe your 'magnetic hex-head' bit until I went out and tried it. I used a pair of circlip pliers to easily close the shutter - but I could not open it again without the ign key. I am now trying to figure out how it works. Anybody know? Kenp

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
You have three magnets in the key and three in the shutter. The combination needs to match and it is a magnet holds on to and moves a pawl to allow the mechanical shutter to work. Clever but as useless as **** on a boar hog.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Chet_Benson said:
You have three magnets in the key and three in the shutter. The combination needs to match and it is a magnet holds on to and moves a pawl to allow the mechanical shutter to work. Clever but as useless as **** on a boar hog.
I don't agree. I have in the past suffered ignition switch mutilation by some pierced-nosed slope-headed low-life and it caused me a lot of money and trouble - it's incredible what damage dick-heads can do with a screwdriver! Now that I know how difficult it is to open the Burgman shutter I regard it as an extra very useful safeguard. Thanks Chet for the info. :thumbup: Kenp

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've been having another think about the Burgman ignition shutter. Suzuki could have simply made it non-magnetic but they thought about incorporating a pawl to latch it shut. I like this type of forward thinking. It reminds me of a Honda step-through I once had whereby the ignition switch was on the side, near to your left knee and to find the ignition switch hole in the dark Honda designed the horn button to become a left-winker switch when the ignition was off. Press the horn and the left front winker stayed on so that you could see to put the key in the ignition switch. Forward thinking - there is not enough of it these days. Kenp

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Yeah with that kind of forward thinking soon the scooter will cost $50,000. :thumbup:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Remove shutter lock assembly. Remove magnets. Do not put them back in. Shutter lock disabled. End of problem.
You can still close the shutter lock but anyone could also open it back up. I disabled mine on the AN400. made my own
hex key from a wooden dowel and it worked fine. Chet and i have been through this topic many times. See his post on this topic
and you will see what we are talking about.
This is a old post but it applies to what you need.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48868&p=452991#p452991
Good luck

·
Registered
463 Posts
My magnetic door stopped working about a year ago.

I had to pry it out of the way, i dont know of any other way to open that door when the magnet will not open it, and it is locked closed.

That locking door is kind of a gimmick.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Much ado about nothing folks. This is what you need to do -

Take offf the top box (8 screws)
With top box removed there are two bolts holding the security shutter fascia in front of the ignition barrel.
Undo the security shutter and leave it off - reinstall top box and Bob's yer uncle.

Alternatively unscrew the shutter, take out the magnets and reinstall - that way you can still use the shutter to hide the access to the key without risking locking yourself out. There is minimal chance the average intruder would know how to open it without using the reverse end of the key.

The whole job should take you less time than it took me to type this out on my iPad. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much to everyone who answered to my posting. I ended up just propping it open just enough to use the bike for now. Hope to have more time soon to fix it all correctly. Thanks again!!
Anyone knows where I can buy a Fuse box cover? It blew away! ugh!

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts