Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm interested in a Burgman, not sure which size yet. I rode a 650 around the blocks on saturday. Was just far enough to wet my whistle but not far enough to really make a firm decission. My ride now is a V-strom 1000. I'm looking for something to commute to work on 20 RT, mostly city.

Questions are:

1. Does anyone know what the maintennace costs are going to be for the two models. Valve adjust, tune-ups and tires.

2. Are there any problems getting tires for either model?

2A. Tire selection better for the 650 then the 400? I think they are both radials but the rim sizes are different.

3. Is the 400 easier to work on as far as tune-ups go vs the 650?

4. Gas mileage differences between the 400 and 650.

I liked the 650 but I'll probably only be riding it to work and around town shopping trips. Might take it to the beach which is about a 100 mile ride from Portland Oregon. Will be riding 1 up only so I'm thinking the 400 will be big enough. The insurance cost difference is $94.00 per year.

I'm also looking at a Triumph Bonni but going to the grocery store on it would not be in the cards. Plus I don't think Givi makes a rac system for it so I wouldn't be able to use my Givi bags. I'm able to ride pretty much year round so I'm not sure if I'd really like riding it in the rain and getting it all dirty.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Dave

PS I'm 53 years old and I'm thinking I'd really like the auto trans around town a lot.

Also forgot I'll be keeping the V-strom.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you're keeping the VStrom, then the 400 will be all you need, but if you are going to trade the VSstrom then you'll prefer the 650. Maintenance costs shouldn't be an issue, they're probably all in the same ballpark, but, as far as I know, the tires may be different. The 650 has sporty radials which grip really well. I'm not that sure about the 400. The 650 Bridgestones are readily available. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Dave,

I own a yellow '03 V-Strom DL1000, which I bought in March of last year. I have put 5477 miles on it.

I also own a '03 blue Burgman 650, which I bought in September of last year. I have put 5054 miles on it.

Although I still ride the V-Strom occasionally, the Burgman 650 has become my ride of choice. And that is for weekend excursions, and rides through the twisties - not just urban errand running. Of course for suburban errand running the Burgman is far handier than the V-Strom, but it also handles quite well in the curvy stuff, and is more stable under windy conditions on the freeway. It has enough power to be fun, and that ECVT transmission works great. Truth be told, it handles everything well in normal auto mode - but it is fun to play with power mode and manual mode too (something you don't get with the 400).

Pirelli makes tires for the Burgman 650 at less than half the cost of the OEM Bridgestones. Remus, Leo Vince (and someone just reported Yoshimura) make aftermarket exhausts for it. (I have Remus exhausts on both my DL1000 and AN650.) There are several aftermarket windscreens available (I have a Clearview.) I also have a 52 liter Givi Trunk and a hump bag - which brings luggage capacity up roughly equal to the V-Strom with its factory luggage set & tank bag. I am wildly enthusiastic about my AN650.

Mileage for the 650 is roughly 5 mpg better than the V-Strom. You have to remember that it is not a smaller machine, in fact it weighs more than the V-Strom. Also you have an automatic vs standard transmission. The 400 would undoubtably get better mileage with its lesser weight and smaller engine. I get in the low to mid 40's with the V-Strom, and high 40's with the Burgman 650. Both run great on 87 octane gas. (Prior to adding the big windscreen, Givi Trunk, performance exhaust - I would occasionally get in the low fifties with the AN650 - I think 52 mpg was the best.)

All considered, I enjoy owning both machines, but if I had to sell one today - it would be the V-Strom. The Burgman is more fun overall.

The Burgman 400 also has a strong following, so I'll let the folks that own them speak for its virtues. One significant difference on the maintenance side is that the 400 has threaded valve adjusters, and the 650 is shim under bucket. Basically, it will cost more to have the valves done on the 650, but they should stay in adjustment longer (suggested maintenace interval for valve adjustment on the 650 is 15,000 miles).

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
since you are keeping your V-Strom the question of which is better really I think is mute. I have a 400 and it will take me any were you want to go at the speed limit with enough left to pass. The 650 from what I under stand is a great bike but bigger then you will need to run around town or go to the beach (two up with a packed lunch).
Don't know first hand about maintenance costs but it's got to be less on a 400. MPG -can't really go by me I am a big guy and 80% of my riding is at 70 MPH- but I am getting 55 MPG which is not bad.(I did try one tank full and kept the speed under 65 and it went up to 59 MPG).
Have not looked for tires yet , understand the selection is very slim for the 400 but then I am not racing it so I don't really care.
I would think the 650 is just as much fun to ride as the 400 but I don't need the extra weight and size I have a 1200 cc cruiser (BMW) which seems to get a lot of dust on it these days. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Choices

Hey there,

I own a 400 and absolutely love it. First I rode tested the 650 and to be quite frank I thought it was too large. Parking, pushing it around and generally parking it in underground lots and using it for my inner city daily commute was not what I thought to be an ideal mount. The insurance is double over the 400 and the mileage not as good. The 400 gave me 68 mpg (imperial gallons) and a range of 240 kms per tank.

Now if you were intending to do lots of hyway riding then the 650 would be better. The 400 is working at 120 kms/hr and although stable and comfortable something to be said for the comfort of an engine just loafing along. The luggage space is just about the same but the maintenance is easier on the 400. I did the tappets but I would be hard pressed to do the bucket under shims adjustments for the 650. The camshafts have to come out. Possible but definitely not a job for the un-mechanically inclined and probably a 6-7 hours job for a good mechanic. Make sure you find yourself and good one.

The way I saw it. If I bought the 650 then I would be repeating my bikes. I have other big bikes (800, 1100 and 650) for hyway riding and so maybe you can think of it as such. Timothy

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 400 and love it. I commute daily to and from work and it handles easily in traffic. I am 5' 5", so the height and weight are easily handled. It has plenty of UMPH to pass slower traffic. Also, in my area there are a lot of "canopy roads" with twists and turns and speed limits between 35-45 miles per hour. The 400 has no problems. So far it is just one up, but after I take the Safty Course later this month it will be two. I will give some feedback then. I use grade 87 gas and average around 64-65 miles per gallon. I only have 510 miles racked up on the 400 and this may improve a couple of miles after the first tuneup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello and welcome Rider 1951. I've had my Burgman 400 since April 10th and I love it. Sorry-cannot answer your maintenance questions, but would like to add my 2 cents in favor of the 400. I switched from a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 for the convenience of an automatic. I ride on country and city roads with a group of 1500 & 1800 Goldwings and have no trouble keeping up with them. Have not tried riding on the freeway but I'm sure I will. I also plan to ride my "burgie" to work--about 20 miles of non-freeway. Since you are keeping your V-Strom, I highly recommend the Burgman 400.I think it will be a great ride for your needs. Have fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

I just got my 400 after a lot of consideration and test rides between the 400, 650 and Honda SilverWing 600. I like the 400 the best. Easier to handle. Plenty fast enough, lower initial cost and better gas mileage. At our age, (I am almost 50) why do we need to go more than 85 or 90 miles an hour? I tried to be realistic and figure that it is time for me to ease back a bit and enjoy my ride more. Listen to some tunes. Take it easy. No drag races. :) But you still have plenty of power when you need it.

I sure don't miss shifting all the time. Sold my Honda Shadow and my truck. No more shifting. I am on auto-pilot now. :)

Neil

San Diego, CA
2003 Blue Burgman 400

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bossman;
When you reach my age (I see 60 in the rear view mirror) you are going to like the light weight and no shifting even more .And at 70 still being able to pass (both cars & gas stations) is not bad either . :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts