Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that it would be nice to have a forum area for members to list dealers that are knowledgable about the Burgman, service, sales for their local area so that others will know who to go to when they are ready to buy or for service and which dealers to stay away from. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More

We have a section for product reviews, we could have one for Dealer reviews!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I thought about that when posting about the dealer I was trying to buy a Burgman from a couple of months ago. It should not be an issue if we only post about dealers who provide a positive user experience.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill,

I'm not sure. I think if a dealer really gouges a customer on prices, or provides poor service, or makes statements that are anti-scooters - we should know about it. Dealers like that don't deserve our business. The recent story about a dealer that alledgedly told a customer that the windshield was optional cost on a Burgman, was amazing...

Here's the thing. If a member lies about, or creatively embellishes something bad about a dealership. That's slander. And it is bound to happen. I think if a dealer did take legal action, it would have to be against the person who made the slanderous statement. But I'm not a lawyer, and there are a lot of twists and turns in the legal system.

If we create a special category, it kind of showcases these dealer reports. If a dealer stumbles onto the forum he is going to look there - guaranteed. And we simply can't verify the accuracy of the reports posted there. 95% of the information would probably be accurate. But it would only take one slanderous statement, discovered by the dealer being slandered, to cause trouble.

So although I don't think we should withhold information from each other, I'm not sure we should highlight it in a special category. It is really Bryan's call though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would love to see a listing of dealers with whom list members have had very positive experiences. This is especially true of service quality. Over the years, we have lived in several widely separated locations and I have always chosen motorcycles (and automobiles) by dealer service quality rather than brand. Quality post-sale service has always outweighed brand selection and price. Saving a few dollars on price does no good if service is nonexistant.
With current levels of communication, pricing is not a secret. The real question comes down to which dealer has a qualified service department that will get the job done in an efficient and customer centered manner. The Burgman, especially the 650, requires little beyond routine service, but when it does, appropriate service requires a qualified technician.
I have also always purchased virtually all parts, clothing and accessories through my dealer, even though the mail order prices are somewhat lower. By patronizing the dealer, I am helping him maintain the personnel and inventory that will support a stable and well-trained service and sales system. This reciprocal loyalty and the resultant quality of ownership has a value in and of itself. I hope we can identify these outstanding dealers and go out of our way to utilize their sales and service departments.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Docta,
You have a great dealer right there near you. I bought both my Burgman's from A&B Xtreme in Bellaire. Great service, great price, all around great experience.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think that having a section that is dedicated towards POSITIVE experiences with dealers is a good idea, but it should be very carefully monitored for any NEGATIVE comments about dealers. Any such comments should be removed immediately.

A dealer could easily sue Bryan (and the moderators). I'm not saying they'd win, but it would still cost Bryan $$$$ to defend himself.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Someone should do a poll to see how many members live close enough to each other to even use the same dealer.
And if your touring and have break down I don't see much of a choice anyway

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
With positive experiences, we do want to see the name and location of the dealer. Those guys deserve credit for their efforts.

I've seen negative experiences documented many times without mentioning the name of the dealer. I tend to think that this is the way to go. The dealer name can always be traded via PM or email between folks who live in the same region. So we can certainly protect each other from the bad guys without risking legal action by publicly posting their identity.

I am stating my opinion here, not establishing policy. So further discussion and comment on the issue is welcome. Any new forum category or posting policy would have to come from the board administrator (Greengoose).

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
This forum exists for our mutual benefit.

I think it is a great idea to organise a good dealer directory (although I would not get much benefit).

We would need to be careful how we allow new recommendations through and I am not sure how we would do that. For example Bill Meek highlighted one dealer who went above and beyond and I am sure that is going to generate a lot of business for that dealer - and deservedly so. But consider this - we never once questioned Bill's credentials - did we? - because he has a track record here.

However, once word gets around (amongst dealers) it is not beyond the realms of possibility for one of them to sign up and spin us a line about how his Burger let him down and what a fantastic dealer 'so and so' is - and then undeservedly get more business. How do we deal in this case.

My suggestion would be - and it ain't foolproof - is that members wishing to nominate a 'good dealer' award has to pm a moderator with that nomination. The moderator can then add to the directory or consult the other mods if he thinks the nomination is suspect.

I agree with the other posters - negative publicity is a legal minefield and could not be hosted (but it could be shared by PM) for example:

'Hi I am xxxx and I have a Lardy and live in Smalltown has anyone used Useless Larry for Burger servicing?' Members who know Useless Larry could then PM.

Just my opinion tho'

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've been called several 4-letter words in my life.... but never a 'mole' before. :lol:

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: More

casek said:
We have a section for product reviews, we could have one for Dealer reviews!
If we leave negative product reviews, would that be a liability too? :?:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts