Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sad news...

My Burgman went to the floor and I went to the hospital !

And because of what ?????????????????

Diesel fuel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m at home resting with minor injuries, but my back is not so good.

It was a blind drop curve and I couldn’t see the diesel fuel, after that you know the rest…. I ended up underneath a car and my wife on the middle of the road. She had more injuries that me. But we are ok.

The bike is going to the Suzuki dealer. Side fairings damaged, seat with a hole and a turn signal broken.

Man…what a morning…

You can check the pictures taken with my phone on my gallery.

The bike works fine, but the seat doesn't close :cry:

Cheers

Luís

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
DAM !! Not the way to start the weekend, So long as your posting your mending.
Very sorry to hear about about your accident. you and your wife get will, that's all that important.
Just checked your pictures, would you conceder changing your name to Lucky ICE929RR :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Get well soon!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am so glad to hear that you are going to be ok.

Now, as we have done in the past, let's take a look at this to see if there was any way to prevent the accident.
In the MSF course they teach that each automobile "lane" actually has three motorcycle lanes available, a great benefit to avoid obstruction or debris in a lane is to use these three lanes within a lane to your advantage.

I saw the picture of the offending "fuel" in the curve. It looked to be covering one of the "three" lanes available which means there was two lanes available to you.

So I am guessing you couldn't see the roadway or didn't look at the roadway to ensure it was clear and free of debris/liquid.

This could have been caused by either following too close, going too fast to adjust your path through the corner, lack of an escape route, or a combination of all three.

I am not picking on you, but if we can take a look at these incidents and learn from them, it is of benefit to all.

Any other comments?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Luis,

That really sucks, I'm so sorry for your misfortune. I'm glad neither of you is seriously hurt.

You'll be in my prayers, take care & get well!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wyldman said:
Luis,

That really sucks, I'm so sorry for your misfortune. I'm glad neither of you is seriously hurt.

You'll be in my prayers, take care & get well!
My feelings exactly. I'm sure that ALL OF US feel the same way. A speedy recovery to both of you.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sorry to hear about your down Luis. Best wishes to you and the wife for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bechtoea said:
Any other comments?
Hi bechtoea and the rest of the guys,

Yes the picture shows 3 lanes, but...

The most left of the picture is an exit from a Shopping Center, the middle one is going to be a "BUS ONLY" lane and the last one - with the fuel - is the one left for us.

So in fact, all 3 lanes will converge on one single lane.

Nevertheless, we feel fine but the weekend trip has been postponed. We were going to Madrid.

Oh.. never mind, maybe next weekend or the weekend after that.

I was so calm, that I even took some pictures while the ambulance people were strapping me down for transportation to the Hospital. Ha ha ha and even had time to park the bike and put the lock on.

But the hole in the seat is a mystery, maybe it hit a car while it was skidding, damaging the seat lock.

Later on, some more pictures at the Suzuki dealer…

Cheers and thks for the kind words

Luís

·
Registered
133 Posts
Glad you and the Mrs. are okay! Please get well soon and get back on the road. God bless you.

:wink: :lol:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi bechtoea,

I added some new photos, taken a few minutes ago...

So you can see what I meant.

My bike will be up and running, next week… but then I will go on vacation to Algarve on our car, because of the kids and our dog… so she will have time to recover.

Tks to all

·
Registered
350 Posts
They say any accident you can walk away from is a good one but personally I don't think any accident is good. Just glad you did walk away from it and wish you both a speedy recovery. Any time a fellow rider goes down, we all feel it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wish you and your wife a quick recovery Luis. I was surprised at the picture quality from your phone...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just spoke to the City Hall.

They told me to complain about the diesel fuel.

Make with some luck, I will get all my expenses paid

Robert, my phone is a Nokia 6680 ;)

Tks all for your support

Cheers

Luís

PS: My wife also wishes to thank all of you

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Luis,

So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you and your wife will be up and riding soon.

Janine :)

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
sorry to hear about your fall and your injuries. hope your riding again soon!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think I was misunderstood. What MSF teaches is that within a lane, you have THREE places to put the bike. The diesel was covering just one third of the lane, leaving two thirds free.

That being said, it still was an unexpected situation and no doubt could have happened to any of us. Please don't think I am saying "hey, I wouldn't have done that" because I am certainly not that bold. Especially with the amount of traffic, I could have laid it down there as well. But we all can take a look back at the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" and perhaps help us all in the future.

Let us know when the burgie is back on the road. Take care!!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Luis

Thank God you and your wife are OK.

Diesel fuel is a real problem and causes a significant number of motor accidents in Europe. It may be that Luis pictures are deceiving - sometimes you cannot see the 'fuel' at all from the direction you are travelling - but after you have slid through and look back - you can see it!

Luis I notice your good lady wife has gravel rash injuries what protective clothing?

Did the seat hit a car exhaust?

The bike will be mended - good you are both OK (ish).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts