Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a used Burgman (650 or 400). However, I haven't seen many used ones in or near MN. So far, I've only seen one used Burgman around here this year, a 650, and it sold right away. Because the used Burgmans seem scarce around here, I'm considering a couple of other scooters.

A local dealer has a used 03 Aprilia Atlantic 500. It's pretty nice looking with low miles, color is light blue (not a great color) and has a nice matching factory storage box/backrest with it. (I think a new Atlantic 500 is close to the price of a new Burgman 400.)

Another dealer is getting in an 04 SilverWing in next week with balance of 4 year warranty left. I don't yet know the price. Yet another dealer may have a Yamaha Majesty coming in - don't know many details on that.
Does anyone here have any comments about or experience with the Atlantic, SilverWing and Majesty compared to the Burgman? Performance, ride, handling, gas mileage, etc.??

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Aprilia Atlantic is a pretty machine. What it lacks is dealer support. There were two guys that had them at Scootercade last year, and I did not get good feedback from them. Their main issues were poor parts availability and the very limited dealer network.

The Yamaha Majesty is strong competition for the Burgman 400. They have only been available in the USA for a few months, so used ones are most likely scarce.

The Silverwing is no match for the Burgman 650. But if you look at it as a Burgman 400 on steroids - that's pretty accurate.

Although I loved the looks of the Aprilia, it is the only one of the group that I would avoid.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The preference around these parts, of course, is going to be for the Burgman. All the scoots you listed are good machines with the exception of one.

The Atlantic I would avoid. Aprilia has some issues with dealer and parts support. Also, the Atlantic 500 had some emissions issues that caused gasoline to get into the oil. Whether the used one you are looking at has that problem or had that problem in the past really doesn't matter, I wouldn't touch it. Now according to what I have read, the Aprilia Scarabeo 500 doesn't have the same issue even though it uses the same engine.

The Majesty and Burgman 400, heck, throw em in a blender and pull one out, they are both very good machines. Unless you are riding long distance or two up frequently on the interstate, the 400's will do you just fine.

Of course, if you require the higher performance of 600 or 650cc's, or you just like speed, go get a Silverwing or Burgman 650. The Silverwing lacks the storage room and inovative ECVT trans of the Burgman 650, but it's a heck of a machine nonetheless.

But again, avoid the Aprilia.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I, for one, find the Atlantic to be tacky looking. Light blue belongs on a K-car, and the style seems geeky.

If it's a tossup between the Majesty and Burg 400, go with the bike/dealer you like best. They're both great. I prefer the style of the Burg.

As for as the Silver Wing, although I've heard of a few recalls, I will always attest to the quality of Honda bikes, cars, etc. The Burgman's features and transmission make it a favorite in my book.

I'd look at the Honda Reflex 250 as well. If it wasn't for the Burg 400 I'm getting, I would have bought a Reflex.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I test drove all of them. The Majesty seemed sluggish off the line, but performed fine once it got into it's power RPM range. The dealer could find no aftermarked replacement windshields when I complained about the stock one not being high enough. The Aprillia I nearly bought, but the dealer confessed that parts were hard to get. On the test ride I followed the owner of the dealership. He rode a sports bike. I'm not sure he was pushing it to it's limits, but the Aprillia matched him on every point. Accelerating to merge onto a 70mph 4-lane we were both at 70 by the end of the ramp, and faster as we merged into traffic going an average of 78 or so. The Aprillia also needed a taller windshield for me, and that's when I learned about GIVIs. That same dealer had Suzukis, and had a couple of 400s and one 650 in his showroom. He would NOT let me ride either one (they had 0 miles on them, which he wanted to preserve for the "buyer"), so I went looking elsewhere. I had cash to buy a 650 on me, so he should have taken me more seriously. I called another dealer and found out he had new '04 650s for $1000 less than MSRP. Rode then bought one the next weekend. I tested a silverwing earlier that day, and liked it alot. I might have bought it if the dealer hadn't insisted on adding his $300 showroom fee on top AFTER each time we negotiated to what I thought was an agreeable Out-The-Door price. The NERVE! :evil::twisted:

The 650 and silverwing will perform much the same, and both have more power and torque than any of the 400 or 500cc models.

Dave B.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brewman said:
RS

What part of the state are you from?
I'm in Shakopee - right next to Prior Lake.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Wow, small world. I am on the border of Prior Lake and Shakopee.
Last month, when shopping for my scooter, I heard about a used Burgman 650, (I think) at Hopkins Hitchin Post.
It may be gone by now, but that's the only used one I ran into.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brewman said:
Wow, small world. I am on the border of Prior Lake and Shakopee.
Last month, when shopping for my scooter, I heard about a used Burgman 650, (I think) at Hopkins Hitchin Post.
It may be gone by now, but that's the only used one I ran into.
Hitching Post has a 2003 SilverWing (Red, 2K miles, $5700) on their website - no Burgman. I'll have to check the store. There was a used 650 Burgman at Motorcycles MN in Savage last month. Wasn't there long. I was there today and they should have a used SilverWing in a week or two. Leo's in Lakeville has the used 500 Aprilia but I don't like the light blue color. I also saw Sport Wheels salvage in Jordan has a 'new' Majesty in the crate listed on their website but it has 'light smoke damage'. Probably from a dealer or warehouse that had a fire. I've heard that they can be tough to deal with. Motoprimo in Burnsville may be getting a used Majesty from a customer that wants to switch to a SilverWing, but the salesman wasn't sure if or when it would happen.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
rs,

Since the Burgmans are scarce and used ones sell rather quickly, doesn't that hint something about which you should be buying? :wink:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
:withstupid: My second choice would probably be the Majesty, then the Silverwing. The Aprillia doesnt even get consideration.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Atlantic 500

The fuel issue on the Aprilia's surfaced on 2003 Atlantics (before the big Scarabeo made it over the pond) and was the result of faulty thermostats. The issue is not found with 2004 Atlantics or the Scarabeo's.

How long is too long for parts ? I've witnessed first hand body panels and trunks and foot rests come into KC inside of 60 days. Engine parts are stocked at the dealers if they are worth much.

The question is, does this dealer have an investment with Aprilia, does he have a couple RSV's or Capo's or Tuono's on the floor ? If not, avoid him likely.

Dealer in KC is a Yamaha/Aprilia shop and he has both the Majesty and the Aprilia scoots on the floor. The Majesty looks sharp. Just pointing this out to those who suggest that you can't have it all under one roof. Reno's in KC has and continues to do so. The signage coop marketing continues with both and the owner sees nothing in sight to change that.

Mybug

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh, and I don't like that light blue either

To me, the black 650 is sharp. So were the black Silverwings a year or two ago.

I'm on a black over red Scarabeo 500 in KC. Still looking to ride with Burgman owner's. I've only got one in our small group thus far.

Not sure why anyone would choose that light blue. To each their own I guess.

Mybug

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Of the two Aprilia Atlantics that were at Scootercade, one was that light blue and the was a deep red (cranberry shade). I actually liked both colors.

I am sure that there is a city here and there that has a good Piaggio/Aprilia dealership. There is not one in Omaha, and I would not buy something that I'd have to take to Kansas City for service. The other issue is touring. I do tour, and often through very lightly populated areas. I'd be very uneasy about riding a brand that is primarily represented only in major cities. The same goes for Kymco - and I like Kymco scooters.

If you live in a city that has a good Piaggio/Aprilia (or Kymco) dealership, and you can confirm their service record by speaking to a couple of local owners, and you do not intend to venture out on long distance tours on that machine, then perhaps the product merits consideration. But if you see an Aprilia sitting on a Yamaha dealer floor there is a reason why it was traded on a Yamaha. People do trade bikes for frivolous reasons. But to me, it still raises a flag. If the dealer is able and willing to set you up with the prior owner for a conversation, you might take advantage of that. But most dealers will not.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
One other negative about the Aprillia I tested. The battery was dead when they dragged it out of the showroom. He said customers sit on them and leave the keys in the ON position, explaining why it was dead. the nasty part was that he had to disassemble the rear of the trunk to get to the battery. Took 20 minutes, and some cussing to get it started, then another 15 minutes to put the trunk back together.

Dave B.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Atlantic 500

Mybug said:
The question is, does this dealer have an investment with Aprilia, does he have a couple RSV's or Capo's or Tuono's on the floor ? If not, avoid him likely.
Mybug
billmeek said:
Since the Burgmans are scarce and used ones sell rather quickly, doesn't that hint something about which you should be buying? :wink:
The dealer with the Atlantic (Leo's) is an Aprilia (and Suzuki) dealer with 4-6 scooters on the floor - right next to a couple Burgmans. I heard that Aprilia got bought out by Piaggio in December or January which may help out Aprilia dealers. They are now part of a company of considerable size. I like the styling, accessories and many of the colors offered by Aprilia.

I'll probably be patient and hold out for a Burgman. It has rained nearly every day this month so I'm not in a big rush to get into something. The Burgman(s) seem to have the best storage layout and performance compared to the others.

The 400 fits me a little better than the 600. I'm on my toes when sitting on the 650. A little lower seat would help if I find a 650.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I have that experience a bit with my Burgman 650. If I need to reach the ground with both feet, I just scrooch forward in the seat a few inches. Otherwise, I just balance on one leg at stops.

·
Registered
550 Posts
they make a low seat option and also custom seats are worth gettin if ya ride alot, anything but a Burgman would be settling for less I promise you. I did a lot of looking and by the way, the silverwing don't hold a candle to the 650 in performance or storage. I love my 650!
Don't settle....

PS: I just rode the 400 for the first time the other day and it was pretty cool, my wife is gonna get one. If most of your riding will be city the 400 rocks, but all around I'll take my 650 till they make a 900.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's all about the dealer

pauljo said:
I am sure that there is a city here and there that has a good Piaggio/Aprilia dealership. There is not one in Omaha, and I would not buy something that I'd have to take to Kansas City for service.
I wouldn't either. No doubt about it, the local dealer plays a big part in a wise man's choice. The irony here for me is that the south KC dealer for Suzuki is less than desireable. I have to go north of the city by about an hour to find a dealer that I'll work with. I've got the same issue with cars, I'd like to drive a Subaru Outback but the dealerships in KC are owned by the same guy and he's a jerk.

pauljo said:
The other issue is touring. I do tour, and often through very lightly populated areas. I'd be very uneasy about riding a brand that is primarily represented only in major cities. The same goes for Kymco - and I like Kymco scooters.
Well, I've got a friend in the middle of nowhere, Lindsborg, KS who has completed two Ironbutt rides on Aprilia's, 1st was the Atlantic, and now he's just completed one on a Scarabeo. He rides with his son who completed both on his Concours. What you are going to need on a tour that you can't obtain easily ? If you know your bike well you know how she's been cared for and what is due. I guess you could argue you might need a belt given an unexpected failure. And that might not be easily obtainable. I know some guys have already obtain the replacement belt mail order from Austin, TX, Atlanta, GA or their local dealer for that occassion should it come.

pauljo said:
But if you see an Aprilia sitting on a Yamaha dealer floor there is a reason why it was traded on a Yamaha.
Huh ? Certainly not in KC where both are sold under the same roof. Are you saying that at Yamaha or Honda dealers you see lots of Aprilia's and at Suzuki dealers you see lots of used Hondas ?

I just think the dealer has a lot to do with the sale of the bikes, period. And that might explain why I'm having such a hard time finding local KC riders on Burgman's. Some of them are offline, not Internet surfers and that makes it challenging to find them but some has to do with the bum dealer we have in KC. So, you see, it's the dealer.

Ride safe,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took an atlantic -03 for a testdrive before I bought my T-max. The reason I didn't buy it was because : I thought the brakes didn't have enough power, The windshield was to low (I'm 6"), so there was a lot of noise, and most important spareparts was an issue. I would go for a burgman or a majesty if I were you, I think both looks very nice. If you could buy a T-max that would be the best but I don't think you guys can buy it over there :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts