Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggest extreme caution when buying a used Burgman..........

This vary second on eBay (Dec. 16, 2oo4 at 7:23am EST) Someone is actually using the fotos of the Burgman I purchased on eBay last Nov. 27, 2oo4.......... This eBay item/Burgman is also using MY VIN #...............................

I have contacted eBay 4 times so far but only get a electronic/generic response. Needless to say that I am vary disappointed with eBay's lack of responsibility allowing this item to be re posted. Could it B that eBay is just as happy getting their commission from legitimate sales or fraudulent sales??????????????

Glennnnnnnnn

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Glenn said:
I have contacted eBay 4 times so far but only get a electronic/generic response. Needless to say that I am vary disappointed with eBay's lack of responsibility allowing this item to be re posted. Could it B that eBay is just as happy getting their commission from legitimate sales or fraudulent sales??????????????

Glennnnnnnnn
No. Their email queues are huge. It can take 24 hours or more before someone even reads your emails. You should get a response (probably canned) eventually. I worked for PayPal about a year ago. At that time, we were handling about 50,000 fraud complaints per month. That is a low percentage of all the transactions on eBay using PayPal, but it is still a large volume of complaints to handle. Our goal at the time was to respond within 24 hours. We did have to use generic (canned) responses from our database whenever possible - we could not "make our numbers" giving individualized responses to each email.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but..........

Thanks Paulgo,

But, I as a private, UN PAID casual eBay surfer has caught this same fraud 5 times so far, with no special training n or cyber tools, than gone thru the effort n frustration to rerport/protect others, so ????????? Perhaps U can C my frustration - NOW I see the fraud progress to using MY VIN number n Burgman on eBay......... Than I get a private eM saying I "cross posted" duplicated this fraud alert on Burgman USA. Oh well, Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I gave up contacting ebay and just contacted the winning bidder telling him it was a scam! (and why).

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Yes but..........

Glenn said:
Perhaps U can C my frustration -
I sure can. That's one reason I left the job at PayPal. It wasn't much fun to deal with upset and frustrated people 8 hours a day. And very often, there wasn't too much we could really do to help them. Email was bad enough - phones were worse.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I purchased a number items on eBay over the years and never had a problem with e-Bay or my PayPal account. However having said that, I do not purchase anything from eBay any longer as there are too many scams happening on eBay and you basically have no protection if you get scammed. I would rather pay a few more $ and attempt to avoid all the stress of getting scammed and kissing my $ goodbye.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again

Alburg,

Seems the same guy has created a NEW user ID for him self today n has re listed my Burgman, to include the same VIN Again.......

Luckily I did not get scamed but this dude hashad 288 visitors to his auction page so far, one not so intellegent guy may fall for this CONTINUING scam...

Glennnnnnnnn

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
alburg said:
I purchased a number items on eBay over the years and never had a problem with e-Bay or my PayPal account. However having said that, I do not purchase anything from eBay any longer as there are too many scams happening on eBay and you basically have no protection if you get scammed. I would rather pay a few more $ and attempt to avoid all the stress of getting scammed and kissing my $ goodbye.
I was an avid eBay / PayPal user for a while too, and like you, I never had any problems. However, working the fraud queue at PayPal was an eye opener. By the time I left, I was pretty uncomfortable with the whole thing. I closed my PayPal account, and I don't do eBay anymore. Get totally ripped off on a big item one time, and it can negate a lot of prior savings.

Both eBay and PayPal can be very handy, and I don't wish to discourage anyone who wants to use them. Just be careful - most scams can be spotted - some are pretty clever. The clever scammer reads the user agreements. He'll know that a fraud case is usually decided based on tracking information. If he sells you a PC system, and ships you a box of old magazines instead with tracking - any case you file will be decided in his favor. He won't leave money sitting in his PayPal account - those were the only funds PayPal could grab for claim settlement. Want to talk to someone who is really upset? Try talking to someone who filed a $2000 claim and was awarded 23 cents as final settlement. It happens. There are also scammers on the buyer side. They'll file a PayPal claim for anything they buy on eBay that is sent to them without tracking - keep the goods, and possibly get their money (or part of it) back too.

PayPal and eBay do go after scammers, and have had some arrested. But that doesn't usually happen until there have been multiple incidents and the dollar amounts get high. Greed makes scams work (the deal too good to be true). It can also be the undoing of a scammer.

It's unfortunate, but any system that is basically built on trust, is vulnerable to dishonesty.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Here is a CLASSIC Burger scam on UK ebay at the moment:

Linky

·
Registered
742 Posts
Glenn,

Would the police take action if you show your VIN # is being used :?:

Greg ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ebay

I have used ebay to buy and sell items in the UK and after selling a car I emailed them with a query, the reply had nothing to do with what I asked. They followed up with a questionaire on how I thought ebay performed throughout my transaction so I refered to my original question, this generated another questionaire. :roll:
I had no problems with the actual transactions which were cash only.
Cheers
Ian

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
NormanB said:

Linky
I admit the bids look too low, but how can you tell it's a scam
Educate me! :?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi Norm! What's the classic scam? It doesn't jump out at me as being a scam...

I've bought and sold a lot on eBay and only had a few problems. I bought a bicycle and what was delivered was the same model, but not the same bike (they sent me a rusted out P.O.S.). I contacted eBay and ended up getting even my shipping costs reimbursed. I also had a couple of people that bought items using "buy-it-now" and then didn't pay for weeks. It costs to list an item so I didn't want to just relist - but once again the eBay resolution center took care of it for me.

I had someone try to scam me by offereing me a very official looking 2nd chance offer on an item I had bid on, and it even had a working PayPal button in it. Fortunately I had emailed the seller previously and the other info in the email didn't "jive". The person had created an email account that was just 1 character off from the actual seller - it was very convincing.

It's not just eBay though - the animosity of email seems to attract scammers.

But then again, I had a friend fell for a telephone scam earlier this year. They called her and claimed to be the fraud center at MasterCard. They said they noticed some unusual charges and wanted to verify them. It was something like a $10,000 TV bought in Florida and such, and my friend was quick to say that no she hadn't made that purchase. They went on to say that she wouldn't be held accountable (big relief), but before they would clear it they wanted to ensure that they were talking to the right person - and they wanted to verify that she was in possession of her card. So they had her read off the credit card number, and the verification number on the back... :( My friend wouldn't have just given someone her credit card number - but she was so relieved that these people were on the ball protecting her... Her credit card was over the limit later that night.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
lilleyen said:
NormanB said:

Linky
Well funnily enough - try following the link now and see what it says.

Of course I am not so wise as to be able to say 100% for sure it is (was) a scam it just had indicators of high scam probability.

I have seen a few Burgman scams in the UK, the common themes are:

Seller - no history.
Location - London
Reserve - No reserve
Shipping - will ship world wide
Payment - goods released on receipt of cleared funds ( tend not to use paypal).

Of course none of these are killer facts alone - but they help to form a view.

In the past I have emailed these sort of sellers with all sorts of innocuous questions - once engaged I follow up with the sort of detailed questions that any Burger would know - the answers I received clearly indicated they were not genuine sellers.

Caveat emptor. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called the police

Greg,

I called the state police in PA, I was transferred here n fro n final, seems they didn't care that someone other that the owner was sell a vehicle registered in their state with out the legal owner's permission. The girl on on this Pennsylvania State Police crime line suggested that I call eBay. I told her I contacted eBay numerous times n just thanked her for her time..

I also eM the auction high bider before n after the auction ended n still have not received a comment or thank you from either eM..... Perhaps these two are part of scam too?????????

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
NormanB said:
lilleyen said:
NormanB said:

Linky
Well funnily enough - try following the link now and see what it says.

Of course I am not so wise as to be able to say 100% for sure it is (was) a scam it just had indicators of high scam probability.

I have seen a few Burgman scams in the UK, the common themes are:

Seller - no history.
Location - London
Reserve - No reserve
Shipping - will ship world wide
Payment - goods released on receipt of cleared funds ( tend not to use paypal).

Of course none of these are killer facts alone - but they help to form a view.

In the past I have emailed these sort of sellers with all sorts of innocuous questions - once engaged I follow up with the sort of detailed questions that any Burger would know - the answers I received clearly indicated they were not genuine sellers.

Caveat emptor. :wink:
Thanks Norm, just tried it.
I see what you mean. you were right apparently.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shorts on fire

'
lilleyen,

What has me so steamed is the guy is using my Burgie/VIN...........

Shall I just say "Merry Christmas" Tiz the season to rip off your fellow man..

Yes, this scam using my Burgie's photos n VIN also comes with a similar lists of traits from the UK........

Aloha, Glennnnnnnnnn

·
Registered
428 Posts
Classic scam?
First is the no reserve.
Second is the "ship worldwide".
Third, no matter where the listing is from, they will always claim to be wherever you are not.
Finally, the requirement of WU as payment. Untracable.
I'm sorry, but anyone who pays for any internet purchase with anything other than a cc is asking for a f***ing.

Peace.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bleeder said:
I'm sorry, but anyone who pays for any internet purchase with anything other than a cc is asking for a f***ing.
One other way to "cover thy butt" is to use an escrow service when paying for larger purchases.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Who does that, how much does it cost, and how would that work?

The escrow company would take delivery of a crated bike, open it up, recrate it and send it along?

I know those boys in OH were selling crated Burgers for hella deals, but it seems to me that 99% of those here in the US are close enough to a population center that mail order bikes would be not the best option.

Peace.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts