Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Wales, UK. Interesting site, and thought I might learn/impart a thing or two. I've been riding Burgmans for about 12 years, starting with a 2nd-hand 125, then a new 400, and for the last 7 years new 650 Exec's. Now coming up to 70 years of age, I've loved the "Burgers!" However, every one of mine have had brake/calliper problems. I currently own a 2013 model, bought new, which, once I got used to its different feel, have found it to be (on balance) the best one, although true to form, I've found the wheels have that binding feeling, and after several weeks of wet, windy and cold weather, the front brakes/callipers have seized. I'm wondering if any of you have had similar problems. Regrettably, I have no mechanical expertise, so am dependant on qualified Suzuki Dealers. Reference earlier comments on the forum, I find the 2013 model a little lighter, less drag, equally as comfortable, and much more fuel-efficient than earlier models; perhaps also a little more "skittish," but still a joy to ride on our narrow, twisting country roads. Very high fuel consumption in and around the cities - but you can't have everything ;)

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've never had any problems with the brakes on my Burgmans binding but then the weather here in Texas is not like the weather you have there.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Unlike my previous bikes, Honda's, Yamaha's, BMW and Moto Guzzi, the Burgman brake calipers do not have an outer piston gator which moves with the piston and covers it.
On the Burgman calipers, as the pads wear down, more and more of the piston is exposed to the elements, and eventually they get chipped and start to rust, starting from the end.
When the pads are exchanged with new pads, the rusted part of the pistons get in contact with the outer seal and the pistons stick, or at least give much more friction than when undamaged.

The price for aftermarket stainless steel pistons to replace the OEM chrome plated steel pistons has gone down, and they are what I would chose today.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/99826-front-brake-bind.html#post1026370

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its our UK weather that does for the brakes, that coupled with salt enhanced grit. Every year brake caliper's need a full strip clean and reassembley with appropriate copper grease. Also if out and about in winter wash off brake calipers on return home. A Watering Can and a brush would suffice anything to stop a build up of crud. Every 2 years new brake fluid. All Burgers pre latest model are draggy when you push them around, all to do with the drivetrain design, you may or may not be getting this confused with drag casued by your brakes.

WM

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Its our UK weather that does for the brakes, that coupled with salt enhanced grit. Every year brake caliper's need a full strip clean and reassembley with appropriate copper grease. Also if out and about in winter wash off brake calipers on return home. A Watering Can and a brush would suffice anything to stop a build up of crud. Every 2 years new brake fluid. All Burgers pre latest model are draggy when you push them around, all to do with the drivetrain design, you may or may not be getting this confused with drag casued by your brakes.

WM
Just don't get the copper grease anywhere near the rubber piston seals.
For the piston and seals you should use this:

ATE BRAKE CYLINDER ASSEMBLY PASTE BRAKE RUBBER GREASE/LUBE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burgman brakes

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated. Unfortunately, and as I said, I have no mechanical expertise, getting on in years, and have no access to facilities (top floor of block of flats!!), so am reliant on dealership nearly 60 miles away. Front wheel now solid; battery has died; Dealer mechanic advised me to break the plastic lug on the battery cover for removal in order to recharge battery- saying I could then use the engine to "break" the bind - seems very odd advice from authorised Suzuki mechanic. The bike is 20 months old, has done 5,000 miles and been regularly serviced. Via this site, I came across a marvellous YouTube site - Delboy's Garage. His tutorial was brilliant and crystal clear, making me think I could do the job - up to a point.
I'm totally reliant on the bike for my shopping, general transport and touring. So now I need to get it back on the road. This site has been an eye-opener, and nice to learn of others' problems and fixes. Thanks all.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts