Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in finding out more about Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

Has anyone here has ever used it? Does it work? Any moral issues involved?

Thought I'd check with the Burgman Brain Trust for info/direction/recommendations before I start any heavy research.

Any help would be heartily appreciated!

Dee

·
Registered
969 Posts
You know the line . . .

"If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is."

I'm a skeptic. I suspect (without doing any real research, mind you) that all the 'tricks' you might learn will not only take a LOT of practice (that is, the investment of time in learning their methods, is probably greater than the time you're willing to invest - otherwise, you wouldn't be looking for shortcuts), but are also readily available elsewhere - for free.

But I could be wrong.

I usually am. :(

Steve

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Short cuts

Steve,

Thank you for the reply. Actually, I am willing to invest both time and money. I just didn't want to invest it without inquiring about it from those in the "know". I am planning on using it for positive "suggestions" in our memo's and procedure manuals. I feel anything subliminal at least borderlines on immoral however I'm at the point where desperate measures need to be taken. This will be used in conjunction with the One Minute Manager and other training we will give management. I don't blame it all on the employees!

Unfortunately the retail work force in central Florida is generally indifferent. I know not everyone is this way but it is one of the reasons I closed my own business.

No matter how much money I paid my employees I couldn't get a decent days work out of them. My standards are not ridiculous. Every person I interviewed was given a job description and expectations prior to being hired so they knew what was expected. Basically I expected (and do in this job too) that the employee take ownership of their position, arrive at work on time, provide good customer service and project a positive attitude. I also expect that if something needs doing it should get done. If it isn't part of the employees job description they should either get the person who's responsibility it is or bring it to management so it may be handled.

Sorry for the soap box but I'm at my wits end.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Dee,
You just rattled my memory! I started reading a book a couple of years ago:

NLP: The New Technology of Achievement published by Nightingale-Conant. ISBN# 0-688-12669-3

I found it to be quite interesting as I do most motivational/thinking programs and such (I've done lots of things like firewalks etc). I put it down part way through as I was moving and it kind of got lost in the shuffle so to speak. I'm going to start re-reading it today. In any event, as with all things of this nature there are those who embrace it and those who call it nothing more than bunk. You have to decide for yourself if it will help you achieve what you want or not. You have to put the effort in to see results in any case. I think it would be worth your while to research it at least. For what it's worth, Tony Robbins went through NLP training prior to becoming who he is now. You can say what you want about him and his program but he sure built an empire out of nothing.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The techniques, if you want to call them that, are what high-pressure salesmen have been using for years now. How else do you think they talk very smart well-off well-educated people into buying time-shares in Cancun or Branson?

As for the quality of the retail work-force, I understand your frustrations completely. While you CAN find very talented and hardworking people, it is a rare find. Most that are great employees are on their way to a higher-paying profession, or at least have that potential. So they don't stay in that work category for much longer than it takes to get thru college or find that higher-paying job.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I am not smart enough to address such issues.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I did a little reading, and it does sound interesting.

If we see that some "mental illness" are retermed "character disorder" then we can also see the attempt to separate "nature" from "nurther" -- the latter implied that they can be changed through "behavior modification."

Behavior modification is better known as learning and training, and indeed it can be done. We have been "programmed" to react to certain phrases certain way, but most of them can be retrained (call it brainwashing, if you will). So, this type of "sensitivity" training really involves learning the "right way" to state the problems, arguments, and answers. Well, one extreme manifestation, in my not so humble opinion, is the political correctness.

I have noticed people no longer have "problems" but "issues." For those of you who have been flamed in newsgroups you know there are some keywords that can be used to make people jump (like, helmet law, oops, now i messed up).

One word of caution, though. While computer technology attempts to mimic certain brain functions, psychology also tries to use computer as an analogy to explain certain brain functions -- which, unfortunately, feeds upon itself sometimes.

This is my quick take of NLP, and I think there are enough justification for its being useful. However, sometimes it is difficult to tell whether it is really snake oil under that nice packaging; because a misapplication of the best theories in the world will still render the system useless.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Nightingale-Conant used to have for sale a set of tapes by the originators of NLP.
Can't remember their names.. Bandler and Hindler or Grindler, something :lol:

"The map is not the territory"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts