Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the main reasons I got this scoot was to be able to take the ferry off the island for half price. But the main reason I leave the island is to attend BMX events with my daughter.

So I decided to put a bike rack on my Burger :)
check it out, this was final fit, I will disassemble for more pics and paint it b4 final install.

Ok seems posting pic not working, check my gallery.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok I see what I did wrong :) now I know how to put pics in :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like an accident waiting to happen.
its solid and cant hit the ground on the most aggressive lean too either side.

don't see why else you might think that.

I certainly wont be lane splitting with a bike on tho lol!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I started with this and cut it down so that all I had was enough left to mount two bikes and about 20cm of tube sticking out of it, grinding off the unused mounting plates. The 20cm of tube was to be welded to a plate I had manufactured to mount on the three spacers I made up, the one closest to the seat is longer to make the plate mount flat. The tube was crushed down a bit on the end before I welded it on, this was to allow the next plate in the sandwich to be angled much like the body was in relation to the backrest base. I made up the top plate by hand, using a makeshift anvil a vise and a hammer. Just formed it to be similar to the body.
This plate had larger holes in it to allow the backrest frame to pass thru it.
it was held to the top of the tube with a tech bolt. Another set of spacers were used to adjust the angle of the back rest back to its original setting.
It looks angled forward, but measuring shows it where it was, I think its because its raised 8cm and not hiding behind the seat it just looks leaned like that. The bolts are grade 12.9 120mm M8 and have a huge total load capacity. The weakest point in the assembly is the frame of the Burger itself. Since I will never put on a load of more than around 10kg I figure I am more than tripled up strength wise. Pics on PhotoBucket, here is the link to the album:
http://s338.photobucket.com/user/Rubarb_bucket/library/Burgman%20Bike%20Rack
And yes I know the welds are ugly, **** strong tho :)

As far as lean goes, I always planned to mount the bike by the lower tube, to keep the wheel out of the exhaust flow area and to allow for much more lean. Tests show the Burger center stand hits b4 the front tire of the bicycle does. A larger bike like a 26" wheel would likely hit first tho.
But I never intended it for that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have you tried it out at say 60-80 km hr ? I would be concerned about the effects of the wind on the bike and it tugging the burg around affecting the overall handling.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried it out at say 60-80 km hr ? I would be concerned about the effects of the wind on the bike and it tugging the burg around affecting the overall handling.
let you know later today :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Scary looking, hope it works. I've seen motorcycle racks for golf clubs but never for bicycles.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
If you are serious about carrying a bicycle on a motorcycle, take a look at the
2x2 Motorcycle Bicycle Rack, well worth the price.

carrying a bicycle side ways can be dangerous as it can get entangled by side traffic, getting caught in mirrors etc...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LeDude, I agree if the bike was simply horizontal, in this case its mounted 45 and its a smaller bike 20" wheels BMX Race setup. So its short.
I took it out for a spin today now that the paint is reasonably cured.
I could not even notice it, right up to 140k it was dead stable like the rack and the bike on it were not there at all.
I am adding a pic that shows how much wider the bike mounted at 45 deg is than the mirrors, its about 12-15em wider than the mirrors. True it could tangle with traffic, fortunately for me I don't run into traffic hardly ever. Live in a small city and the only time I would use this setup is to run from home to track, most all hwy. The worst of it would be loading and unloading on the ferry. Not too much of a problem to be carefull for a short bit of time.

Now for those thinking of this layout, if you have a bigger bike, I would just get the rack LeDude posted, $300 is cheap for what that gives you. I am done for what I need to carry, but if I had seen that b4 I did this, my bank balance would be about $350 short of its current number.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Personally I'd be too worried about weight or more importantly leverage against the seat frame mounting.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like it. How about a picture directly behind the Burg with the bike mounted in the rack. And a picture of the mount itself.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Me too. I like it! I've seen some crazy stuff that is hauled off the back of tiny little scooters. Yours is nothing compared to what I've seen. I personally witnessed two guys loading an 8' long sofa sideways on the back of a honda dream 50cc scooter and saw it drive down one of the busiest street in Saigon, VN. w/o the sofa dropping or swaying.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
903 Posts
This seems like a good thread to add my design to....

Pic below shows initial prototype on first ride.

Cost is about $6 in wood and deck screws. Parts:
- 1"x2"x8' pressure-treated wood
- Scraps from a 2x4 and 1x6 to make the wedge the bike hangs from.
- 10 deck screws.
- black spray-paint

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice work on both of them. If it works for you, that's all that matters. The fact that you did it yourself just makes it better! Thanks for sharing your designs and pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts