Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of selling my Burgman and getting a 650 V-strom. I would like some opinions from folks in here that have had or do have both.
I think my main consideration for even balking or asking any questions about the V-Strom is that I'm so darned comfortable on my Burgman!

BUT, I like camping in National Forests which requires going down miles of gravel roads. I went camping this winter and took the Burgman down about 1 mile of gravel and it is not made for that.

I could resign myself to the Burgman and State Park camping but if the V-Strom is or can be made a comfortable ride (with farkles) I think I may make the jump.

I'm over on Stromtroopers checking them out (saw Doug in KY there). I want ot do my homework before switching.
I really like the height of the Strom (I'm 6'2") and the feel. I haven't ridden it yet, but sitting on it feels great for this tall lanky guy!

The 1000 is out of the question. Too much bike for me.
The 650 will cruise at 80 and has plenty of power for this 58 y.o.
I know I can almost pay for a used 650 with selling my Burgman.

So, all that to ask, how comfortable are the Strom riders in here -if any?

Thanks - Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've owned two 650 V-Stroms in the past an 2007 and a 2011. Probably one of the best bikes I have ever owned and would by another today if I was going to do more highway riding, but it's great for the city as well. Everything always worked flawless on both of them and neither ever went back to the shop for any repairs. I have three riding buddies that still have them and none are thinking of selling, just because it's just a bike that can do it all and for the price it's probably one of the best buys out there. I myself being a dual sport rider I did ride the bike off road at times, but most was just hard packed dirt road surfaces where it did do ok there, it's still a road bike at heart. You should be able to load the bike with all the camping gear that you will need to carry and the bike will be fine, it can handle it. If you put bags on the bike, buy the ones that are off centered, that is the larger one on the opposite side of the muffler, just looks better and balances the bike. Most put on the Givi windshield with the Madstead brackets, takes all the wind baffling away which is a problem with the stock windshield, but easily corrected. I see you said that you have been on the StormTroopers website so you should know all the answers about this bike, or can find them there. Good Luck,

John

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Have owned the DL1000GT k8 for 4 years prior to my Burgman 400 and it's a cracker! But as you say, can be too much for many. Have ridden the 650 lots and in my opinion is the smoothest of the two and just a bullet proof. And much better fuel economy. Physically, it's the same size as the 1000cc version and fairly comfy too. You won't go wrong if you need that ability to off road at will.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have one and to me they are much more comfortable than the Burgman because your legs are under you to protect your back and the suspension although not the best is light years ahead of the Burgman. However, the wind protection is non-existent and the stock windscreen is one of the worst ever foisted upon mankind, you'll have to add a Madstad windshield support and the screen of your choice through the help of Stromtrooper. The gas mileage is about the same as the 650, (the newer 2 plug versions may be better) the motors never seem to die or overheat, the transmission is strong but you may want to add a different cog on the front of the chain drive to lower the highway revs by about 5-700rpm. This will also make it possible to get through an intersection in first gear! One thing you will hate though is the constant chain maintenance, especially if you do much dusty roading. All in all a great bike that is well proven to be bulletproof with an incredible support network and knowledge base. Also, one of the first things you need to add are the front crash bars...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've not owned the 650 vstrom but have ridden a couple of summers with riding partner who did and think it's a very capable bike.

That said - is it not possible to have your cake and eat it too?

For $2500 and maybe less you get a bulletproof ride for camping and backwoods exploring that you can equip with proper tires for the job instead of continual compromise. This is in Louisiana

http://motorcycles.yakaz.com/klr-650-for-sale-louisiana#lo=4&docid=0007l7god0rkch5c

Kawasaki klr 2009 650cc
Posted: ... :29pm 2009 Kawasaki klr 650 - $2500 (northeast) 2009 Kawasaki klr 650 Great bike with many expensive upgrades. Moving therefore shedding my toys. I am the second owner. Low miles and well maintained. The seat needs to re-upholstered or repaired. The bike is prepped for long rides with pannier cases, motor protector, upgraded air filtering system and front ...
Put a Sargent seat on it and you'll have a true backwoods thumper that is 40 lb lighter and 2 more inches of ground clearance. I love my Burgman 650 but here in Aus the KLR makes many areas accessible.
Tires that will do a good job in the dirt I run 606s on the back will drone and wear on the highway and that goes even more for the heavier Vstrom.
So you end up with little traction in the creeks and tracks if you go adventure tires and some compromise on the wear and handling putting knobbies on the twin.

I'd bet you'll get killed on selling the Burgman - this way you can dabble your foot in the off road category without losing the sheer joy of the Burgmans all around usefulness.

Now IF the Burgman is too small....then that's a different story.

But having two machines that are properly set up for their use is a real treat.
The difference proper tires for off road made on the KLR here in Aus was incredible.
Most adventure tires simply will not hook up properly off road.

If $2500 is affordable for you ....I'd grab the KLR and see how much off road you'll do.
They hold their value. I bought my first KLR for $4k and sold it for $4400 the next year.

And this is the truth on the VStrom

it's still a road bike at heart
and a very good one.

New member ..V Strom vs. KLR 650 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your ...
www.klr650.net › ... › Member Introductions‎
Jun 9, 2007 - 20 posts - ‎10 authors
I rode my pal's V Strom 650 last weekend and was impressed..then I stumbled ... But, the KLR is better on the highway than the strom is offroad.
The KLR you don't mind dropping in the mud and having fun on forest tracks.
Might be something you have not considered.

This is a very good definition

I believe that the term "dual sport" is too broad of a term to accurately describe the various bikes that have been lumped into this category. So, I suggest 2 categories - dual sport bike and adventure bike - is a better way of classifying these types of bikes.

A dual sport bike is a street legal bike that can easily be ridden "off-road". Off-road meaning just what the name says - not a road. This means trails, paths, single track, etc.

An adventure bike is a street legal bike that can easily be ridden on any road - paved, unpaved, dirt, gravel, etc. - but is not designed for or really suitable for "off-road" terrain.

Any bike can be ridden off-road, but the question is not if it can be done but if the bike is designed for that type of riding.

With the distinction made between "roads of all types" and "off-road" and between "dual sport bikes" and "adventure bikes", then it becomes much easier to classify the various bikes that have previously been lumped into 1 category.

With the above definitions, the Stroms are adventure bikes, as are the Ulysses, 1100GS, 1150GS, & 1200GS. All of these bikes are adventure bikes, not dual sport bikes.

Bikes such as the KLR, DR, and KTM are dual sport bikes.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yep, I own both a V-Strom 650 and a Burgman 650. I am an active member over at Stromtrooper as well as here. My V-Strom is a 2007 bought new by my son and adopted by me after he discovered he couldn't pay for it.

What do I think of my V-Strom? I love the bike. It is more of a road bike but mine has gone off of the pavement. It is kind of a pig in offroad situations due to it's weight. It does hard gravel roads without any problems. I did put crash bars and a bash plate on it before leaving the pavement. I would still prefer to ride my V-Strom over my Burgman if my basal joint in my left hand would allow it. Pulling the clutch in city riding is very painful for me and is the reason for the purchase of the Burgman. As to the choice between the V-Strom 1000 and the V-Strom 650, I encouraged my son to buy the 650 because of fueling issues with the 1000. There is also a possible "clutch chudder" problem with the 1000's. The 650's have none of those problems although I felt the 650 had too much fork flex which I fixed by adding a fork brace to the bike. Most people have head buffeting on the V-Strom's which I fixed with a MadStad bracket and windscreen.

It is too bad that you don't live closer to me so that we could get together and I could show you my 650 V-Strom. They are really nice bikes and almost bulletproof. You do need to be aware that it is easy to put a large amount of money into them to get the bike dialed in. I have put a little over $3000 (after purchasing the bike) in mine before I was truly happy with it. I feel my V-Strom is probably the most comfortable bike for riding I have ever owned after the expensive dialing in (new handlebars, new seat, feet lowering kit, highway bars, etc).

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
wtf -- where's the CB500XXXX?!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Not gonna be a cheap solution - think he'd do better getting a low cost KLR650

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not really interested in the KLR. That is a great idea though - getting one for woods. I'm not going to be going much off the main gravel roads (Yeah, I say that now!) so I don't need knobbies or anything like that. It will be mostly on the road but able to go camping on.

I went and sat on a new 650 again yesterday. I really like the height of the seat on them.
They have a 2012 NC700 with 1,500 miles on it for $4,200. It's not as tall as the V-strom, though. I have to admit, the price of the NC is appealing!
I'm heading to Deals Gap the first week of May and am conversing with a guy up there that has this- what do you think?
http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/4408145195.html

He's open to a trade and cash. I told him I'd have to get get top-end of KBB to make the trade. No response to that, yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I traded a 650 vstrom 07 with 127000 ks it it looked like it had done 27000ks and ran fantastic rode it for 3 mths it ran faultlessly so reliability is not an issue . A friend has one with full knobby tires white power suspension and the way he rides it would put some motocross riders to shame

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah - all the twin adventure bikes CAN do harder off road. Whether worth the effort against say a KLX or DR is another question.
•••

OP - for your gravel roads use the V-strom should be fine and that's a big top case as a starter - might be enough with a strap on bag for camping without expensive side cases.
Nice looking bike - looks like it has an optional lower seat.

For your size I think its a better choice than say the CB500x which I'd like to have here in Aus for similar light touring/light off road use.

That's an awfully low price for an NC700 but then I'm not surprised - I did not like the bike's power train set up.
Rev limited at 6500 rpm.
Likely very durable and for sure good gas mileage.
The Vstrom way more spirited.

I do ride my Burgman 650 on dirt roads all the time but not in gravel or sand. The low C of G makes it comfortable on dirt....it's the rider that has to get used to the squirming on loose surfaces.
I think all riders should spend time on dirt roads so they know what their bike feels like if they get into construction zones etc.

This however was thanks to buddy's GPS leading us down a rocky streambed

Those are rocks not leaves and it was a bit of a grade but the bike was fine even tho the rider was a bit white knuckle.

Buddy's Vstrom was hard to turn around than the Burgman but he was height challenged ( he dropped it twice on the trip - bike was new to him and he was short and he overloaded it so it was top heavy. )

That will be a big change for you with any of the dual sports - the change in CofG and the much long shock travel ( getting on a KLR with a 35" seat height and a 30" inseam takes some practice ....luckily I have much sag when completed :D )

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for comment MacDoc.
I'd probably go for the NC 700 except I know it won't take long and I'll be wanting the power of the Strom. Surely they make an aftermarket something to override the rev limiter, eh?
I just have to have patience. I know a deal will come along. I've pretty much made my mind up to get a V-Strom.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Not likely as it's a odd shaped bore.

You'll enjoy the V-Strom with your height.

The NC700 has power....it's just in a different manner - very flat torque curve.
If you like the rush of a bike winding out .....it won't

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not really interested in the KLR. That is a great idea though - getting one for woods. I'm not going to be going much off the main gravel roads (Yeah, I say that now!) so I don't need knobbies or anything like that. It will be mostly on the road but able to go camping on.

I went and sat on a new 650 again yesterday. I really like the height of the seat on them.
They have a 2012 NC700 with 1,500 miles on it for $4,200. It's not as tall as the V-strom, though. I have to admit, the price of the NC is appealing!
I'm heading to Deals Gap the first week of May and am conversing with a guy up there that has this- what do you think?
http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/4408145195.html

He's open to a trade and cash. I told him I'd have to get get top-end of KBB to make the trade. No response to that, yet.
It is a fair price for the Wee he has. You do realize that his bike does not have ABS. Not sure how important that having ABS is to you, mine doesn't have it either. No crash bars or skid plate either. Stock seat and you may have wind buffeting with the stock (even though it is a tall) windscreen. The stock seat is hard on most people, you will probably need to replace it with a custom of some type.

Just a heads up.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would get the Wee -- L-twins are torquey by nature and they don't give up till almost the red line. it's also a bigger bike better suited for tall rider. I found seating position quite a bit comfier that the NC's. To me although nice in general design, the Honda looks somewhat incomplete just yet.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would get the Wee -- L-twins are torquey by nature and they don't give up till almost the red line. it's also a bigger bike better suited for tall rider. I found seating position quite a bit comfier that the NC's. To me although nice in general design, the Honda looks somewhat incomplete just yet.
Yep, the Wee-Strom (the 650 V-Strom) has an engine that is really nice. Kicks ass for a bike with a 650 engine. Plenty of low torque that stays on until almost at redline. I have a friend who has a NC. He tells me he is happy with it but I have ridden it. I was not impressed with his NC on anything except for it's awesome gas mileage. You pay your money, you take your chances. In my book, the Wee-Strom is as close to the perfect bike as any I have ridden in my life. That is why mine is still in my garage. If my hand is not hurting (much) I ride my Wee-Strom and the Burgman sits (and I really like my Burgman).

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have both a Burg 650 and a V Strom 650 2012 ( + A Versys 1000 and a BMW K1200 RS). Both are brilliant and the Strom will cope with the gravel roads better than the Burg and as we should be all aware it is more of a road bias bike but it is fitted with Road trail tyres from new and can be fitted with Metz Tourance Next or the like that would not be phased by gravel forest roads. The V strom is a superb bike for performance, handling and economy. I agree you need a fork brace and I put in progressive fork springs as well. Get one with ABS and if it is the only bike you have still feel lucky. It copes well with luggage and passenger or both at the same time.

Enjoy it

WM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts