Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up bike yesterday and trucked it home, hard to work out where to strap it :sad: did not like the plastic wrapped bars giving no place for front straps.
but worked something out. Is there some pointers someone could give me if I need to truck it again? The owners manual was in a compartment I did not know of, so worked out most and took it around the block, odd feeling compared to a bike. Fun But odd. My kids cant reach the passenger foot boards :sad: any kid friendly ideas for putting wee ones on the back? I was thinking of making some foot towers and mounting them down there, maybe something exists? some way to raise the hand holds a few inches?
I can weld and have lathes etc at my disposal so DIY is my preferred method, not that I will ignore a purchased solution :)
Any plans for trailer hitches floating about?

Thanx

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You might want to check legal restrictions on small riders.
I'd look for a solution with armrests - I've seen some Wings with them.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Commercial-made hitches are available for the 650...
hitches for the 400 are a DIY deal, or you'll have
to see the guy in Kingsport, Tenn. that makes'em
while you wait ( probably all day )
If you add your location & model scooter to your
avatar, maybe somebody close to you can help.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Not sure what wee one mean specifically, however a child below 12-13 year old have no place on back of motorcycle or scooter.

Here some insurance if not most now carry exclusion for this, which is dam! good thing.

Purchase front wheel chock to place and bolt in trailer front, have tie down rings in rear to strap from rear shock to.

Good example of homemade wheel chock trailering:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Try http://www.canyondancer.com/, I have the original version and it works great on tying down a Burgman, or any other bike for that matter.

Greg

·
Registered
230 Posts
i actually have the one above i use it on all the bikes i pick up and it works a treat just dont pull down to hard as not to put to much strain on the folk seals

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not sure what wee one mean specifically, however a child below 12-13 year old have no place on back of motorcycle or scooter.
My experience is different, Chérie. I started riding my littlest one around when he was 7. He had a whole bunch of his own gear - jacket, pants, boots, and helmet - all of which had to be replaced regularly as he kept growing.

They actually have dirt racing for 5-year-olds down here so the small gear is easy to find - got some of it used from other parents and sold off most of the stuff he outgrew.

I even took him touring in the summers. We had a great time and got lots of pictures.

However, he could reach the foot pegs. I've got to agree that if they can't reach with their feet, they need to grow a bit more.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah I almost got run over at teh local motocross track by an errant 3 year old with training wheels and full gear.

She was a little terror.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah I almost got run over at teh local motocross track by an errant 3 year old with training wheels and full gear.

She was a little terror.
That is wrong on so many levels. Parents need to wise up, quick.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Why - she was having fun and very safely - there were dozens riding from her age on up to teens...

http://www.motoparkracing.com

If you review the galleries you will see dozens of shots.

I took this shot - Jay may have been writing her a speeding ticket :D

My kid learned there tho he was older and he went from cautious wimp on a 230 Honda to king of the world in a couple of seasons. Tho he did okay on the 230

The YZ250 scared him at first.....then he mastered it.

Now on the FZ8 he just runs away from me in the twists.

Best background he could have riding dirt and starting early best of all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My problem is with my 10yo girl, she is a fairly accomplished BMX racer and has been racing since 5yo so has a great sense of balance and good reflex's for being on a bike and knows how to fall.
Also will be riding with her dirt bike gear, body armor NOT roost protection :), full face DOT helmet, race pants and gloves etc.

She is however much on the small side and cannot reach the floor boards, also she cant grab me well as the Burgman sets the passenger too far back from the driver for the back rest :(
I am making up 5" risers for the floor boards, still not sure of the hand hold problem.
I wont let her ride till there is a reasonable way for her to hang on!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Do you have a topcase with a backrest on ??

I'm thinking you want some sort of grab bar that loops around her from the back and lowers to rest on the grab rails so she has some side support
Not sure if you can visualize it.

Bit of a cage that comes from the passenger backrest

Like so

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@macdoc

now your talkin!!!

Burgy is stock but this looks like what I want.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also just found these

http://www.gearscanada.com/products/details/80/20/passenger-grab-belt.html

looks like a good alternative, I would like to "feel" that she is on the bike with me, I know its a phobia really but I have images of her falling off and me not knowing it :(
Just to feel better I want her to be holding me not the bike I guess.

I had the same fear when I first got my burgman, but after 2 or 3 rides around the block,.. fear is gone. Just make sure your little one understands the safety instructions you give. My now 8 year old has been riding (with full gear) with me since last year and he still couldn't reach the footrest (Maybe by the end of the year he will be able to). NO PROBLEMS.. My 10 year old is OK. Invest in Sena SMH10 dual headset/intercom so you can talk and check with your child.. you can also listen to the same music if you wish ;)

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I've seen a 'Grab-Belt' simalar to this one,
except with the hand-holds a bit more
around the sides....
might have been something home-made.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've seen a 'Grab-Belt' simalar to this one,
except with the hand-holds a bit more
around the sides....
might have been something home-made.
Although I haven't seen one first hand, I have seen pictures in online ads for a belt with the hand-holds more around the sides.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also came up with the idea to remove the buttrest and put a seatbelt like loop thru under the posts, put the butt rest back in and she has a hand loop.

she showed me she can reach the hand holds on the side towards that back and plants herself very firmly with them. still a bit phobic of the cant feel she is there thing, but tonight I should have the foot rest towers built, see where it goes from there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts