Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a stroke in Feb.
Clutch hand and left leg not fully cooperating yet.
Jonesing to ride,but ST1100 is heavy and theres that clutch issue.
Thinking about 650 Burgman.
Anybody done similar switch?
What say you?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yes, after setting up V-Strom 650 2012 with all the travel gear and Corbin seat, tendonitis in left forearm ... 2-3 days to & from work could barely pull the clutch.

I started using a tension strap that worked ok could do the full week but weekend riding wasn't as appealing anymore and it's an all day aching forearm.

Now back to enjoying my ride again.

Hope you recover well :)

Greg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well most interesting. I was all set to buy a Harley when do to a back problem my left foot developed drop foot so no shifting for me anymore.

I have been riding scooters for always. So the choice to get another one was made for me. (Welcome to the Golden years). I spent a lot of time looking at scooter's found a 650 Ex with hardly any miles on her. The price varies depending on the year and milage. I found this forum while looking for a bike. After asking questions here on the forum, reading about the Burgman I decided to buy one. As I have a bad back and the trouble with the foot the Burgman 650 sounded perfect.

By all accounts they are worry free, very comfortable and powerful. All that works for me. I do about 5 charity Ride's with biker's each year, plus I put about 8k miles on a bike. With the comfort, reliability and storage the Burgman 650 is perfect for me.

I pick up my bike as soon as I can get one of my friends to give me a ride to the dealer to get my girl...So just check out this form, go find one and make your decision... Good luck...Scooter 68

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You'll enjoy the 650.

Not quite the rush of the ST1100 but lower CogG and overall easier to ride ..and no clutch.

It still is a 600 lb bike so you do need to watch that aspect.

I switched because of hand problems ..initially a Honda SilverWing and then up to the better Burgman 650.

Had two - 100,000 km of trouble free riding between them ( moved up to a newer Exec ).

Sold the 2009 Exec as I had a long awaited cross country tour planned and needed somthing with more storage and tires that would go cross country without needing to be changed.

My hand is tolerating clutching at the moment so riding a Vstrom 650 and also an CBF1000 ...a lighter cooler running version of the ST1100.

It's 100 lb lighter than the Burgman when luggage is off so more agile around town but no where near the convenience and weather protection.

I'm sure I'll be back to a Burgman 650 at some point.

This was the review that got me onto the maxi scoot category.

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

It's a **** fine ride as many others here will attest to.

Stopped in traffic in hot weather creeping across the border my son looked over and said ... right now I'm jealous you don't have to clutch.
I just grinned. :D

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
welcome to the forum...

you will like the 650, the ST11/ST13 were my favorite sport tourers, rides.

I originally bought the 650 to replace my 25 year old honda Helix, an original 1986 which was my around town ride.

In time the 650 became my favorite ride, an all around super capable scooter. Mine is a std 2004 model with about 80k miles on it.

I sold the ST13 after a while as it kept sitting and not getting used, replaced it with a DL1000 for adventure riding.

As far as comparing the ST to the Burgman, it has the ST beat in the comfort department and ease of operation.
You will pretty much be able to do anything and everything you did on the 650 except achieve ST nominal all day long.
It will lag in the power department compared to the ST but at legal speeds, it will perform like a champ, the 650 is made
for cruising at 55-75 mph all day long, kind of like riding on clouds.

The suspension on the 650 will be much softer than the ST and the smaller wheels will get some adapting to, to handle
all road conditions. Tire wear and tear is about the same as the ST, 2 rear to 1 front ratio, will average 5-7k miles on the
rear and 12-15k miles on the front tires.

Electrical power output is better than the older STs and far more reliable.

You will come appreciate being able to ride all day long and get off at the end of the day and still be able to walk
comfortable without the back/hand cramps. My left hand would always be super soar from using the clutch extensively
on the ST13.

Add a top box, and two side cases and you will have all the storage you need with the under the seat 55l box, more storage
than on a goldwing.

Maintenance on the 650 is a breeze. If you decide to buy one, get an 05+ model, the 03-04s have some shortcomings.

hope you make the switch and joing our 650 family, always nice to have another STOC head on this forum.

Good luck.
all the best.

ps: Honda has a few automatic models if you are interested in an automatic bike, I would personally consider the CB500x, the NT700 is another choice.
if you want a sport bike, you can try and find an automatic VFR1200. There is also the automatic FJR.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yup, I had an ST1100 back in the day, beautiful candy red. But I bought a scooter and never looked back. Eventually I sold the ST cause I just never rode it any more.

Over the years, I made my way back to bigger bikes in the form of the Burgman 400 and 650. The big burg is still a substantial machine, and every bit as capable as the 1100 up to 100 mph, and a darn site more comfortable. The low CG is fantastic in the corners, better than the ST IMHO. The 650 has excellent touring manners as well. It's a trade up in that regard.

I don't know your physical limitations, but you might want to consider the 400 as well. It's not quite as capable with the big turning mission, but much easier to manuver and control. It still has very good freeway manners, with much less heft to throw around.

Lastly, scooters are just more fun to ride. Really they are. No need to shift, leaves more concentration to ride. The hand controlled rear brake is a much better set up too. You'll come to appreciate the dexterity with which you can yield it.

Good luck on the search. It's a whole new world to explore. You WILL BE impressed.

Reactions: gec343

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Had a stroke in Feb.
What say you?

Sorry of hear of your medical issue, but hope you fully recover very soon.

My favorite motorcycle was my ST1300/A, but swithed to a Gold Wing because of the top heaviness, my advancing age, etc.

The Gold Wing got too heavy too, so decided to try the Burgman 650. I find this Burgman a real delight, low center of gravity, excellent weather protection, auto transmission, etc. I cannot believe that I waited so long to make the switch.:wink

·
Registered
66 Posts
Investigate a Burgman 400 as well. Much lighter feel and an amazing machine...especially if you ride solo. See all the You Tube videos from Mitch and Patrick to see what it will do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's too bad that riders are considering Burgman 650 only after significant health event such as a stroke; missing out on good rides while being fully capable as a rider.

With Burgman's low placement of engine and transmission, the mass of the vehicles is low to the ground; offer much more stability at any speed (vs vehicle with higher engine placement), straight or curves.

Parking lot speed stability is superb with the Burgman, clutch-less shifting is just bonus.

Enough underseat storage for two full-face helmets and more, you don't need to have extra luggage to carry items and extend the overall width of the vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep and it is even worse that Suzuki dealers are not proactive and have 200, 400, & 650s out for potential customers to test ride. Give BMW and HD dealers credit for having demos and not making 200 flaky excuses why they wont allow test rides like the Jap dealers do. Its no wonder they are successful.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
1- The 650 Burgman is a step-through motorcycle disguised as a scooter, it is often referred to by many including former Goldwing owner as a mini Goldwing. It is truly a great all around bike that does so many things so very well.

2- You will have a difficult time finding a motorcycle equipped with a twin cylinder engine that have a lower frame mounted power train, lower center of gravity and easier to balance at low speed or throw around at higher speed.

3- The 650 Burgman is one of the motorcycle industry best kept secret, there are over 100,000 of these out there and it is gaining continuously in popularity. If you prefer to do your own service and maintenance it is a bike that is very easy to work on for do it yourselfers.

4- It is confortable for long trips and just as confortable for short rides, errands etc., it handles two up riding with ease and pleasure. It will run two up all day long at 80-85 mph effortlessly if you wish to do so.

5- Every dealership has dealer days once or twice per year, check with your local dealers and sign up to try a new Burgman 650 or other model of your choosing.

6- A picture is worth 1000 words, here is the power train sitting in the frame:

·
Registered
735 Posts
My good friend Scott has an ST1100 and he took my 650K4 out for a ride just after I bought it a few years ago. He was very impressed but he still has his ST. I'm working on him.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
1- The 650 Burgman is a step-through motorcycle disguised as a scooter, it is often referred to by many including former Goldwing owner as a mini Goldwing. It is truly a great all around bike that does so many things so very well.
I consider that selling the Burgman 650 short, it's truly more like a sports touring bike IMHO.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I consider that selling the Burgman 650 short, it's truly more like a sports touring bike IMHO.
Yes indeed that is also true, but do not tell everyone that, prefer for them to discover this during the ride. :grin :laugh :laughing5:

·
Registered
189 Posts
When I went to the dealer , I was looking at a Yamaha T-Max . The dealer said try the Burgman . I did not want to like the bike . But , one ride in and I was converted .

Reactions: MJR

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Coming off an ST1100 a 400 isn't going to be a smooth transition.

The Burgman 650 power will feel very similar to the performance of the ST1100 up to 70 mph and handle better in the twists. Smarter transition.

With the right seat, 700 mile days back to back is eminently possible. One thing you'd miss on the 650 is range. Small tank compared to the ST but then more opportunity for breaks. :D.

It will really impress you in the twists...much lighter feel than the ST and fabulous brakes plus if you are feeling aggressive punch the power button and you're in a whole new world.

Depending on the year you get ...be careful with the Power button initially as the engine braking can be fierce......but learn when to use it and it puts the bike in a class of its own.

I still consider it the best all around machine I've owned in 50 years of riding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This happens to be the 650 forum, so there is a bias even though some owners have both. In the 400 forum you will see a bias toward it. You should ride both and you will find the 400 much lighter and more nimble, if that is important. Depending on what your riding needs are you can decide which fits you best.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Had a stroke in Feb.
What say you?

RP3 , no question on the Burgman 650 , great bike... BUT ! It is still a pretty heavy bike especially for some one recovering from a stroke . So as I see it the question is , how's your leg / left side ? While it's true with the Burgman 650 there is no shifting , you still have to hold the bike up .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
66 Posts
True...it is **** heavy and not so nimble....though the new one is better. I hope the OP does not let the 650 Fan Boys talk him into something before he sees alternatives. For some uses a Burg 200 that gets 70 mpg is much better. In many the 400 is better. I saw another poster who was 84 and had a Burg 650. More power to him but not sure I could do that even younger.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts