Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I haven't started my Burgman for about a month, but had it on a trickle charge for a couple of weeks because I didn't want the battery to go dead. The battery charger indicates that the battery is charged. I went out to start it, but all I get is a fast clicking sound and it won't turn over. The headlights and panel work, and Chec comes on briefly, but I just can't get it to start. The kickstand is up, the engine kill is not on, and I have the break engaged. The battery is at least 3 years old, and because we haven't ridden the bike consistently, it tends to go dead over the winter. Do you think I should try a new battery, or does it sound like something else is wrong? I don't know anything about fixing motorcycles, or diagnosing what's wrong. Could it be the sparkplug? I'm hoping it's something simple....Please advise :) and Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds to me like it's either the battery has failed....perhaps a bad cell or possibly a bad connection.
Don't have to worry about it being a sparkplug if it is not even turning over. If you can jump it with
another battery and it starts.....it's probably the battery.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
Verify the battery connections are tight. They can loosen up in time.

Don't bother with the spark plugs, if it doesn't turn over, it's a moot point.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Battery or connections. I assume the gauges dim when it clicks indicating a battery problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the input!

Yes the panel dims. I tried it again this morning and almost got a growl out of it....but then it started clicking on the following attempts. I will check the battery connections, and try to jump it from another battery. I have read some posts that say you can jump from a car battery, however do not start the car or it will overload; is that correct? Would I use the same jumper cables as I would for a car?

Once I get it started, I can zoom down to the battery store and get it taken care of.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
disconnect everything and reconnect everything making sure you follow the recommended OEM connection sequence

as usual, check all the fuses, mainly the main fuse and cvt fuse under the seat and then the rest beside the glove box.

you may also want to have the battery check to make sure that it can hold a charge, one never knows with these sealed batteries
they never show any signs of failing until they do.

good luck....

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
k-burgman said:
Thanks for all of the input!

Yes the panel dims. I tried it again this morning and almost got a growl out of it....but then it started clicking on the following attempts. I will check the battery connections, and try to jump it from another battery. I have read some posts that say you can jump from a car battery, however do not start the car or it will overload; is that correct? Would I use the same jumper cables as I would for a car?

Once I get it started, I can zoom down to the battery store and get it taken care of.
Yes battery or connection. When the voltage drops below 8-volts the relay will cutout, then on again as the voltage goes above 10-volts. That's usually what the fast clicking is the relay cutting in/out.

Yes you can jump start it with a car as long as the car is NOT running. Car cables might be a bit large but if you can get them in there then they should be ok.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If your trickle charger does not have a float mode, you could have damaged the battery by leaving it on for 2 weeks.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5986475_can-car ... rger_.html

If this is the case, when you replace the battery, replace the trickle charger with a Battery Tender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks to all of you that have helped me! I will buy a battery tomorrow and make sure my charger has the float mode. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate your input! I hope you all have a nice evening :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
k-burgman said:
Many thanks to all of you that have helped me! I will buy a battery tomorrow and make sure my charger has the float mode. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate your input! I hope you all have a nice evening :D
Hope all goes well for you. It would help us if you tell us where you are, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts