Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read many prior posts. Bought a used 650 with excessive whine, especially on acceleration. Quietens down at level speed. Local dealer serviced and changed all fluids, transmission, etc. Noise no better. Bike only has 4,400 miles. The dealer said to rebuild transmission would be $3,300. Is it safe to ride with the noise. The bike is perfect otherwise. Any possibility of it locking down? Do not know what else to try, sure do hate to put $3,300 more into a $4,800 bike. Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If you would put your location in your profile someone may live close enough to compare the sound with there's. Also what year is your 650? I believe the earlier models were a little noisier.

Reactions: minimac

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the omission. It is a 2008 and located in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The service manager worried me when he said it "could" lock down. I would hate to be going 55 or 60 mpr and start skidding with no control. I can live with the noise for awhile if there is no safety issues.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Gary , was the bike whining when you bought it ? Some thing isn't quite right here , with 4800 miles that thing it should be like new . That said the Burgman does have a bit if a whine to it naturally . I have a 2006 and a 2008 and while they do sound different for my Tmax or my Silverwing they both sound the same and nothing out of the ordinary . I would also like to know how the dealership came to the conclusion you needed a transmission rebuild .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it was whining. I believed the owner when he said that was natural. He only let me ride it about a mile. Gullible me, I believed him when he said it only did it while accelerating. The dealer said they have rebuilt two because of the same thing. I talked to the dealer here in Greenville, SC who I know and if it safe, I am going to ride it down here and let them check. He says they have never had to rebuild one. I have Burg 400 that makes no noise, with 9,000 miles. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Yes, it was whining. I believed the owner when he said that was natural. He only let me ride it about a mile. Gullible me, I believed him when he said it only did it while accelerating. The dealer said they have rebuilt two because of the same thing. I talked to the dealer here in Greenville, SC who I know and if it safe, I am going to ride it down here and let them check. He says they have never had to rebuild one. I have Burg 400 that makes no noise, with 9,000 miles. Thanks for everyone's help.
Honestly without being able to listen to it I don't know. Yes there is gear whine on the 650 because of the straight cut gears in the swing arm. You can't compare a 400, they are totally different animals. The best sugestion put forward was to find another local owner and compare. At that mileage there shouldn't be anything wrong.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm with MJR... My question would be, how in the Dickens could something go wrong with that kind of miles, even if it was rode hard for a few short miles. Have you checked the fluids yourself? Final drive etc

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
MJR As Chappy said check the fluids . If ok I would not worry about it. M y 07. Wined like a Lear jet for the first 15000 miles. It has since quited some what.
Ear plugs make it dead silent. Do your normal maintance and ride till the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
szirkitrider: hope to be in PF Tuesday and rest of week. Will call, thanks. And Roy (cav86), I may just buy earplugs. You described it best - sounds like a Lear jet. My only concern was it just locking down. I was on an old Suzuki oil mix years ago, the oil ran out and the rear wheel locked. Skidding to a stop is NOT fun. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the fluids are new and of proper weight and type hard to believe anything would go wrong at 4,800 miles. I would not pay the price the dealer will want for a rebuild unless it totally quit running. Almost every motorcycle makes some type of sound and if you know the fluid levels are full and no one has previously monkeyed with it, you should just ride it. Maybe the dealer looking at it will make you feel better and hopefully he both knowledgeable and honest enough to say you don't need to spend $$$$ if that is the fact.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 with 22000 miles on it and has whined from day one. it sounds like a tubo without a air filter on it but has never left me down. I think the belt is making the noise because i can't find anything wrong with the gears and the oil is clean.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A lot of this noise that sounds a little like a turbo is the sprague clutch on the starter. My BMW K75 had the same noise. Normal. My Burgle has it. Normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2004 an650 burgman now with a loud WHINNING NOISE at aceleration speed at only 45 mph. 12000 m on replaced CVT ($5300 bucks) couple years ago. The bike shop is looking at it now, but I am not inclined to drop thousands to repair an 04 with 52,370 m on it. So wait and see. It would be hard to go back to a typical cruser again. ACERKEN many bikes, many years!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You could buy a much newer used one for wht you have and would spend on the old one...with this miles I would not spend any $$.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hopefully it's not too involved a repair but westnash makes a good point on buying a newer used one, upgrade.

Reactions: acerken

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a 2013 and when I got it it wined a lot but I changed the rear oil and engine and trany and has quite 70%. I called Motul and they recommended 100% synthetic 7100 4T for engine and transmission and for the final gear Motul Gear box 80w90 Hypoid semi-synthetic. It has made a big difference for me so you may want to try this rather than a rebuild that is very costly and possibly unnecessary.
Just a suggestion Hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts