Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The Burgman 650 is a tall motorcycle with lowered suspension to allow normal human beings to reach the ground.

The ride is as bad as other lowered motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
As was stated earlier it can do a bit of dirt road navigation from time to time if the road is in decent condition. Granted the Burgman series is the only bikes I've ridden aside from the 250 Honda rebel around a parking lot during the MSF course and a small stint on a Harley softtail so Haven't had much in the way of experience with other machine in terms of suspension. I would have to wonder how the geometry would be affected to raise it a little with longer fork tubes in front and longer shocks in the rear. If it would then be comparable to something else in that regard as long as you had the legs to get on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I've discussed this with the guy who built my front fork. He says that since the inner fork tubes have the same length as bikes with longer stroke, it's not impossible to increase the stroke by an inch or 1½.

The rear shocks are already among the longest on the market, but you can weld on some tabs.

There is an ideal loaded angle on the swing arm, but an extra inch or 2 is not enough to make a noticeable adverse effect on the angle.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Be careful - it wouldn't only affect the swing arm angle.

The rake and trail at the front would be affected.
As a guestimate, 2" at the rear equates to 2 degrees less rake on a 650 and less trail (more if you also have an oversized tyre)

I've seen 2 deg. produce noticeable changes in stability and a very twitchy ride - it does quicken the steering though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've ridden just about every type of motorcycle built. Sport, Drag, Dirt, International Trials, Sleds, Naked, Adventure, Choppers, Cruisers. Those with shaft, chain, belt, V Twin, single, verticle twin, 4 cyclinder, opposed twin, etc. etc. I like some things about them all. My first experience on a scooter was 2 years ago and a Yamaha Vino 125. I will never sell it. It fills a slot that no conventional MC ever could. Twist N go and built in storage, wow. I did get to ride the Burgman 650 and 400 in the twists and hills plus run them up above 70mph last month. Both the 400 and 650 IMO could easily run with any of the bikes I've ridden on the highway. I rode a Hyabusa along with a couple Burgmans and when riding for fun and pleasure we worked fine together. I'm secure in my manhood and I really believe I could live with a 400 or 650 Burgman for my primary 2 wheeled transportation. I do think the biker snobs are the only folks I would offend. Why do some MC riders get "angry" with what bike anyone else is riding is beyond me. Can the Big Burgmans run with the big dogs, sure they can...............ride safe.............Mike

·
Administrator
20,204 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Be careful - it wouldn't only affect the swing arm angle.

The rake and trail at the front would be affected.
As a guestimate, 2" at the rear equates to 2 degrees less rake on a 650 and less trail (more if you also have an oversized tyre)

I've seen 2 deg. produce noticeable changes in stability and a very twitchy ride - it does quicken the steering though.
The rear would only be raised along with the front, to keep the bike level.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying -
but moving one spring mounting point and increasing the travel in the other doesn't sound like they will change equally under load (static or dynamic) so the angles will change.

Rake is rake, there are 3 types: mechanical, normal and tandem wheel (to an engineer, "normal" means perpendicular to something).

Do what you want - I'm just saying think through the consequences and test it before you go full tilt on it.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
With 70 mm effective stroke up front, adding 30mm will make a huge difference.

The increased ride height will be less than the vertical projection of 30mm on the fork, because static sag can be increased and the spring rate lowered.

A slower steering side-effect is something I can live with.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts