Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Just wonder why no one pointed out the Power button to them.
Maybe an embarrassment ?? ;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just wonder why no one pointed out the Power button to them.
Maybe an embarrassment ?? ;)
The tranny modes are mentioned:

"When in the basic mode, which the Burgman reverts to when started, the CVT holds engine speed near torque peak during acceleration and then lets revs drop during steady-state riding; a performance mode allows more revs during acceleration, and there’s a “manual” mode that gives you the choice of six ratios."

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 650 Burgman as far as power and abilities. One guy showed up with a 650 during an adventure bike camp N ride we had back in WV last May. He only had a problem when he opted for one of the more adventurous rides. Not enough clearance for water crossing. There were many dirt road rides that he could run with no problem. I ride the dirt road rides myself as I don't need the real off road drama. He was accepted as was any biker willing to camp with us.

Spring 2015 041.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: SteveG

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
They simply won't understand how to lock themselves into the scooter.

Ari Henning said:
As it turns out, nobody minded riding either of the quasi-recumbents. I was the one who ended up knees together on the Burgman on some seriously technical roads, and I had a blast! It’s a good thing there were already fires burning in Hunter Liggett (controlled burns gone out of control) because the Veggie Burger was trailing sparks. With a little more ground clearance (taking the centerstand off would do it), the Burgman could really rail.
Also, they don't care about what happens to their body below the waist in case of an accident.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Having ridden both the R1200RT and the CTX1300 I thought the article as more than fair. The quote of, "But overall the Burg is about 1,000 percent better than it has any right to be. If you owned one as a commuter and had an invitation to visit friends 300 miles away for the weekend, it would do just fine. Trust us." is right on the money. That fits my riding description to a 't'.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Why not compare the Burgman 650 to a 747?

Honestly.....they're comparing apples and oranges anyway, why not just go for the gusto?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I liked the article. I felt it was just showing readers that there are alternatives to heavier and more expensive choices.

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I liked the article. I felt it was just showing readers that there are alternatives to heavier and more expensive choices
And that's fine...but generally speaking, people shopping for a $10,000 bike are not considering $20,000 bikes......that's my impression anyway.

Alternatively, people in the market for an automatic motorcycle are probably not going to consider a manual, no matter what it is, or what the price is. I fall into this later group. I'd love to have an RT. The price would never stop me, but the fact that it isn't automatic does. If the RT were automatic, I'd never consider a Burgman, despite the price difference.

Overall, the article MAY do something to "open the eyes" of someone who would never otherwise consider a scooter, but I don't think it does anything to convince scooter buyers to consider something else.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I can't understand why the Gold Wing is still manual.

Whenever I watch GL1800 videos, the clonking gearshifts make me cringe in their gross contrast to the refinedness of the rest of the bike.

Doesn't the CTX1300 come in an automatic version?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Gold Wing is another one. Would love to have one. Will never buy it unless it is available in an automatic. The thing is a heavy, lumbering beast anyway. Not exactly "performance" material - no reason to have to shift gears. ****, it should come with retractable "stabilizers" (like a crane) to help hold the thing up at stop lights and in parking spaces.

If I had to guess, it's SO heavy that it would take a really heavy duty CVT to work with it. Maybe the CVT engineering isn't up to that kind of load? Maybe the belt would have to be changed too often - which is a big deal on a high mileage touring bike.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Whenever I watch GL1800 videos, the clonking gearshifts make me cringe in their gross contrast to the refinedness of the rest of the bike.

Doesn't the CTX1300 come in an automatic version?
The CTX1300 is not available with the DCT, but the CTX700 is!:confused:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I had them mixed up. Its the Honda VFR1200, with a transverse V-4, that is also available with DCT automatic transmission.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Article would have been a lot better if they covered the CTX700 w/DCT in the mix.
Very true. Recently, I test rode a new CTX700/DCT. I was impressed, but was turned off by the chain drive, and excessive wind turbulence with that short windshield. I loved the DCT, since it reminded me of the old Fordomatics. You could feel almost every shift.:kermit:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I had them mixed up. Its the Honda VFR1200, with a transverse V-4, that is also available with DCT automatic transmission.
Maybe that is a good sign that it will eventually make its way into the Goldwing.

I still think electric, retractable stabilizers would be pretty slick :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Gold Wing is another one. Would love to have one. Will never buy it unless it is available in an automatic. The thing is a heavy, lumbering beast anyway. Not exactly "performance" material - no reason to have to shift gears. ****, it should come with retractable "stabilizers" (like a crane) to help hold the thing up at stop lights and in parking spaces.

If I had to guess, it's SO heavy that it would take a really heavy duty CVT to work with it. Maybe the CVT engineering isn't up to that kind of load? Maybe the belt would have to be changed too often - which is a big deal on a high mileage touring bike.
The wing is huge enough they could probably use a regular car-type AUTOMATIC transmission.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I thought the article was very fair and painted the Burgman in a very good light.
+1. From the start, the Burgman was handicapped by the reviewers. So considering they were suitably impressed, it was the best outcome possible.

I haven't ridden the other bikes, but I know the big burg is capable of more than they gave it credit for (300 miles, paaaleeese). Lol :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The wing is huge enough they could probably use a regular car-type AUTOMATIC transmission.
Some car manufactures are using CVTs in cars now. Should be able to handle a Goldwing.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts