Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both bikes. Today I took the XR for a ride out through the country. I have always considered it the ultimate fun bike. I went down rural highways and roadways and down some fire roads as well. In all I put about 50 miles on it.

When I got home I immediately got on my Burgman and took it to Lowes for some household items. Mainly city driving with a stretch of interstate.

The Burgman is light years beyond the Honda in terms of comfort, technology, isolation from vibration, refinement and the all important fun factor. The ride on the Burgman reminded me of how crude and outdated the Honda technology is. It may not be altogether fair to compare two completely different motorcycles, but from a pure motorcycling enjoyment perspective, the Burgman is CLEARLY a better machine for me. It still makes me smile.

Now if they would just make a Burgman dual sport I'd be set.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy did they ever miss the mark with the Ruckus. Looks like a $5500 Dumb and Dumber mini bike. I think the engineering challenge in a D/S scooter would be to get the extra suspension travel in low slung scooter frame. Offroad bikes will all eventually be dropped. The plastics would take a beating.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It could certainly be done from a design standpoint. What is harder is to get the number crunchers to approve such a project based on their estimate of unit sales. It's unlikely that will happen soon. I'd probably buy one though. I've come so close to buying a KLR650 lots of times. In fact if I hadn't bought the Burgman 650 I'd probably own a KLR650 right now.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...I've come so close to buying a KLR650 lots of times. In fact if I hadn't bought the Burgman 650 I'd probably own a KLR650 right now.
It's a great bike as evidenced by how little it's changed in 15 years. It does what it's intended to do with aplomb.

But I think the Burgman is much better suited to riding on the highways and byways that I like.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If they made a KLR650 with a lower seat height and more comfortable seat, I'd be very tempted. The 33" seat height with my 30" inseam wouldn't work too well. I was seriously considering a BMW F540GS for touring and gravel-road exploring, but at ~$9000....? Too much for a simple bike that isn't very reliable. $7600 might seem a bit much for a 'scooter', but it's a bargain in comparison.

I have to admit that I question the idea of a dual-sport scooter. I've never done any offroad riding and only very little gravel road riding, but I think the scooter's seating position wouldn't be advantageous. You need to have your feet more under you so you can stand up -- i.e. on footpegs -- when it gets rough or washboardy. And putting your knees against the tank helps in maneuvering, too...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
frugality said:
...the scooter's seating position wouldn't be advantageous. You need to have your feet more under you so you can stand up -- i.e. on footpegs -- when it gets rough or washboardy. ...
You can, actually, stand up on the Burgman 650. The floorboards go quite far back before the cut-out.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Brian said:
You can, actually, stand up on the Burgman 650. The floorboards go quite far back before the cut-out.
I don't know how far forward you sit, Brian, but with my feet at the back edge of the floorboards before the cutout they are still not directly underneath me. I CAN stand up, but it's more like pulling myself up with the handlebars than pushing myself up with my legs. If I lean forward to get under my legs before standing, I bump my head on my GIVI screen. My old Elite 250 scooter was much easier to stand up on. Narrower seat, and legs could straddle more than on the 650. I would often take it down gravel roads (I lived on one) and stand as it bounced along washboard runs. The 650 does not lend itself well to the same technique. My feet want to be right where the cutout area is to stand comfortably and with control.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
pauljo said:
...I've come so close to buying a KLR650 lots of times. In fact if I hadn't bought the Burgman 650 I'd probably own a KLR650 right now.
It's a great bike as evidenced by how little it's changed in 15 years. It does what it's intended to do with aplomb.

But I think the Burgman is much better suited to riding on the highways and byways that I like.
As a general purpose ride on decent pavement, the Burgman 650 is hard to beat. For that matter, all the super scooters are quite versatile.

In comparison, the KLR650 has less power, way less brakes, way less headlight, no built in storage other than the tail rack - the turn signal switch is out of the 70's and doesn't even push to cancel. It is ugly, and has chain drive which requires frequent maintenance.

But the KLR will go places where I don't want to take my scooter. There are many gravel roads in this part of the country, and there are some nice parks and other natural attractions that can only be reached via gravel roads. With my long legs, the tall seat height feels wonderful. It has a 6.1 gallon fuel tank & gets better mileage as well. The high torque low horsepower engine and the weakish brakes are just what you want on loose road surface. And a brand new one has an MSRP of just $5149. One of these days I'll spot a nice used one for about $2000 and I'll most likely buy it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
dual sport fun

Paul,

dual sports are fun! I have a 04 DR650. I bought it for all the far flung adventures I planned on ridding with the wife on back. soo far in the 2700 miles I rode, maybe 150 were on gravel roads, dirt roads, and trails. I live in the DC metro area and use the bike mostly to commute to work 13 miles each way. When I (or the both of us) ride the bike in pure pleasure fun, the bike is worth every penny to me. when I am in traffic in DC I cant wait until next year when my budget will allow a burgman 650 so I can enjoy the automatic trans. The DR is part of the family, it travels with us where ever we go, but we cant travel on it comfortably together so the Burgman will be a welcome addition to our garage.

joe

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I dropped my AN650 off at the dealer for it's 14500 mile service yesterday. While I was waiting outside for my wife to come pick me up a fellow rode up on a Kawasaki KLR650. It was one of the Camoflage color ones - which makes what is already a homely looking bike downright ugly imho. I noticed that he was fairly short when he got off the bike. I walked over to chat with him.

He had lowered the bike 1.5 inches, plus had a cutdown custom seat on it, which made it possible for him to ride it. He had recently spent 5 months riding in Mexico with another friend who also riding a KLR, and described it as the perfect bike for the bad road conditions down there. His only issues were with bad gas, which he encountered twice. He is looking forward to doing a trip to South America on it soon. As he told his tales of adventure, that ugly duckling of a motorcycle started to morph into something quite appealing. I thoroughly enjoyed the chat.

As for the camoflage color, as we talked, I realized that it did have one great advantage. There would rarely be any need to wash that bike!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You know this is very funny in away.

When I was considering a new bike it came down to 2 choices, V-Strom 1000 (650 not available then) or the 650 Burgman. As you all know I went with the Burgman. Now I was thinking of adding a second bike to my stables and the machine on the list is a KLR 650.

Pauljo.... I'm starting to get freaked out about the similiarities in the way you and I think. Hmm oddly enough were both moderators to on this fine forum. BTW I gave up smocking all together......including my pipe. :shock:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Allan,

Congrats on giving up smoking. I enjoy my pipes a lot. I always felt bad about the cigarette habit, and to an extent cigars. But I love the pipes, and I feel they are far less harmful to me - even a benefit sometimes from the standpoint of relaxation. So for now, we'll remain apart on that issue. :wink: But if I do get a second bike, it will be a used KLR 650. Eventually I'd like to see the "other half" of Nebraska. The V-Strom was just too pretty & too expensive to do the gravel roads on. :wink:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I too, have been considering the KLR650, but since I still have the DR350, it might be a little redundant (to my wife :lol: ). I love the idea of 6 gallons of gas, as opposed to 1 1/2.

Steve

Gear up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts