Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my search down to 3 bikes (2 scooters and a motorcycle) with, needless to say, the Burgman having made the cut. I strongly suspect I'd be happy with any of them, but each is fairly different, with different areas in which they excel.

As I've been reading voraciously about each bike, it has become quite apparent that there is no "perfect" bike out there. It's just a matter of where and with what to make compromises. I'm aware of some of the "shortcomings" of the Burgman ...

But what would you say are the downsides/caveats of this, otherwise gr8, scooter?

·
Registered
426 Posts
The Burgy's ability or lack thereof for handling poor 'road' conditions ([email protected] roads and the like), any flooded road environments or similar, bigger diameter wheels would improve this - which is where I think the Honda NC Integra scoot should shine. Others might say the screen and shocks, but this is subjective, as I think the burgy650 does pretty darn good on both counts. A few, might chime in with the supposed CVT shortcomings... many others might likely disagree.
What are the other two rides under consideration?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've narrowed my search down to 3 bikes (2 scooters and a motorcycle) ...... I'm aware of some of the "shortcomings" of the Burgman ..... But what would you say are the downsides/caveats of this, otherwise gr8, scooter?
What are these "short comings" you speak of?:confused:

And "downsides" / caveats" ........... Compared to what??

The 6fitty is a great bike......many on here would say its as close to perfect as your gonna find. I would be one of them:)

A lot depends on how you will use the bike. :)

My testimonial is ..... you can putt putt around all day on the back roads and then get on the superslab and cruise home at a smooth 80 mph. It works great for both!

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should research if it is correct for your riding style. A poor short travel suspension that becomes evident on poor surface roads. Overpriced as compared to motorcycles with the same or more performance and relatively poor resale. Past problems with CVT unit that can cost more to repair than the value of the scooter. Negotiate heavily on a new one and add extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It all depends on how you ride? Lot's of highway miles? 650 will likely suit you better.
Not that many highway miles the 400. What motorcycle are you considering?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
First off....best all around bike I've owned in 45 years of riding is the Burgman 650 Exec but it really depends on your use.
What is your use.
WHat are the other bikes.
How tall are you?? ( Burgman can be heavy at slow speeds but very agile at speed )..

Short stiff shocks are a disadvantage on rough pavement ( tho I don't mind much ) and an advantage in twists....the bike stays on line, no diving.

Not the most fuel efficient at speed ....pushed a lot of air but at 50-60 mph quite decent.

But more info on use and the other machines will help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It really depends on what you want a big scooter for? For me I haven't found any negatives yet, only perhaps at slow speed turning not as stable as the many bikes I have had, but that's cos it aint a bike so I can't hold that against it. Only good for me so far, but ask me again in a year.
(2014 650)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If you make a list of the +'s and -'s of things you want from the bike, the Burgman will more than likely win over most other bikes overall, except for one item, you can not get any respect from other riders. But who cares what they think, it is your ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you make a list of the +'s and -'s of things you want from the bike ...
I think I've already heard all the +'s.
I want to make sure I cover all the -'s.

... the Burgman will more than likely win over most other bikes overall.
That's something safe to say only on a Burgman forum. :)
And if it were true, we wouldn't have this thread. No doubt the Burgman's +'s are many and substantial, but everyone has his/her own list of priorities, be they well-advised or not; otherwise, how could you explain so many Harley's on the road? :D

... you can not get any respect from other riders. But who cares what they think, it is your ride.
Years ago, I rode a moped; I didn't care then what others thought and, at my age now, I certainly don't give a [email protected] :thefinger:

It all depends on how you ride? Lot's of highway miles? 650 will likely suit you better.
Not that many highway miles the 400.
Absolutely. And after careful deliberation, I've eliminated the 400 from the short list. It will be a definite consideration some years down the road.

What motorcycle are you considering?
Although the Honda CB500X was very tempting, the motorcycle I'm leaning towards is the V-Strom 650.

What are these "short comings" you speak of?:confused:

And "downsides" / caveats" ........... Compared to what??
I'm now well versed with the upsides of the Burgman. I was hoping to hear the flip-side from you folks. A number of gr8 points have already been made:

- The considerable relative cost of the large scooters opens the doors of possibilities to quite a few substantial motorcycles. As westnash said:
"... Overpriced as compared to motorcycles with the same or more performance and relatively poor resale..."

- Large scooters, both new and used, are a bit of a relative scarcity here. I've been keeping close watch and there are very few which have tempted me (looking for late model/low mileage). On the other hand, there seems to be V-Stroms a-plenty in our neck of the woods.

- As has been mentioned:
"...The Burgy's ability or lack thereof for handling poor 'road' conditions ... "
... A poor short travel suspension that becomes evident on poor surface roads..."

- As has also been mentioned, there's the weight
, something which probably wouldn't have been a consideration for me 10 years ago. I have no doubt that on the road, the weight won't be an issue. But I witnessed a salesman who, having told me that the weight isn't bad at all, struggle for several minutes, desperately trying to push a 650 back into its parking spot, over a "huge" 1/2" high bump and a very, very slight uphill slant.
I've had the odd cement slab which proved to be a wee bit of a challenge to back my 366 pound GSX-R up and over; I can only imagine how fun it would be to watch me try to back a 600+ pound Burger (with smaller wheels) over that same slab.

- Relative to the T-Max 530 (the "
other scooter"), aside from the weight difference (and without trying to start an argument), off the highway, the Burgman doesn't handle nearly as well or with the same agility. My concerns here are primarily with accident avoidance and ease of manipulating the bike when I'm in the big, congested city (something which, I hope, won't be all that often). Comfort/luxuries/storage/highway comfort vs every day riding/handling.

- The acres of Tupperware, in replacement cost, awkwardness of servicing and, to a lesser extent, overall looks, are a consideration.

These are a few of the things which come to mind, off-hand. I know there are others.

Having said all that, the Burgman's obvious and substantial attributes keep it sharply lined up in my sights.

Thanks for all the input so far!!!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The salesman part is not so much the weight as the rolling resistance due to the ECVT.
That said - even with the not so light Weestrom with luggage - any bike can be gnarly to back up on uneven pavement or footing.
I find the Burgman 650 not so bad to paddle backwards uphill where there is good footing but of course there is the art of parking a hefty bike that comes into play.
The Burgman 650 is VERY stable for use of the side stand on awkward angles and it does not "unload upward" as the Weestrom will do.

Burgman 650 is fine in traffic...but not nimble like a smaller bike....trade off for other positives.

if you are tall enough/strong enough a Weestrom 650 is a sweet machine.

From your description tho CB500F or X would seem to fit the bill. It's the ONLY bike I'd consider against the Burgman 650 for my riding and the X gives me light off road.

My goals this year and next tho the Burgman 650 is the better machine given it's all weather ability. ( I actually really enjoyed the ride home in the rain from PA ) and with my set up 1,000 km days are not unreasonable on the slab.

If you not demo ridden the CB500 x or f i'd for sure give it a go.

As far as service...battery and tires are the limit I've ever had to do tho a rear brake pad is about to be changed out.
I have a good and fair mechanic and I use synthetic oil and go twice the distance for the recommended for regular oil and the mechanic noted how ultra smooth the motor still was at some 60,000 km.

Aside from tires ( it eats rear tires ....a negative but then Shinkos are $69 ) it is a super low maintenance machine.

Big question tho is what are you transitioning from. Neither of your main choices are what I would consider starter bikes.
The CB500 would be hellish more suitable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big question tho is what are you transitioning from. Neither of your main choices are what I would consider starter bikes.
The CB500 would be hellish more suitable.
Although each of my three choices
would probably be a decent choice for a competent beginner,
I'm definitely not looking for a starter bike ...
just something which suits my current situation.

Currently, I'm on a GSX-R750.
It's a truly awesome bike for what it is.
It's just not my cup of tea.

Next bike will be a lot different,
but should be an easy transition.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You willhave no problem with any of them and the two bigger motors will be appreciated.
My bet is you are Weestrom material :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
650 Strom is an awesome motorcycle for the money and power you get from the 650 twin and reliability. People talk of well over 100,000 miles on them with no problems. The newer ones are more expensive but have ABS. Different from a scooter...just depends on your purpose.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As I have gotten older and hopefully a little wiser, what's important to me concerning bikes has changed. I care very little now about high performance, and a lot more these days about comfort, ease of maintenance, storage capacity and safety. All my current bikes, but for the antique Eldorado have ABS. All the bikes are fairly easy to work on as far as routine maintenance goes which I do myself. And after having the seats redone by Russell Day Long on the BMW's and the Norge, those three are comfortable for long days on the road. All three also have side bags and a top boxes big enough to carry a few days worth of cloths and supplies for long road trips.

I'm lucky that my current financial situation allows me to own a few bikes at a time. I'm not wealthy but make a decent living and don't have a lot of bills. Each of the bikes has it's role, although the Norge and the R1150RT are very similar as sports tourers. The big K1200LT is for long distance touring, which because of all its bells and whistles and a fairing that is huge, it does very well.

Then there is the Burgman 650 that gets 50+ MPG. It's purpose in the stable is to provide me an around town and commuter bike. I'm sure it could be made comfortable by doing something with the seat, which for me is a pain in the ass after about 50 miles. It has all kinds of storage with what's under the seat and a huge Givi E55 top case. And with the kind of miles I'll put on it commuting back and forth to work, 8.5 miles each way and the occasional trip around town running errands, it will be a few years before the valves will need to be checked. Assuming nothing breaks it will be a long time before it will need to be stripped of its plastic body work to get at any maintenance items. Bottom line, the only negative for me about the Burgman is the seat, but I didn't buy to do long distance touring like some here do, so it isn't headed to RDL for a redo.

Personally I don't like chains all that much on a bike and the last bike I owned that had one was my 07 Triumph Tiger 1050. Lubing and adjusting a chain all the time is something I just don't want to do anymore, especially if I was using it for touring.

·
Registered
724 Posts
1. Weight- Over 600 pounds
2. Suspension- Not great on bumpy roads (below average)
3. Handling- Not great at slow speeds (below average)
4. Seat- Average comfort at best
5. Windshield- too much wind noise for me, Easily replaced with Givi (now) or Clearview (next year)

Despite the above 4 (number 5 is easily fixed) I like and recommend the Burg 650.

·
Registered
346 Posts
1. Weight- Over 600 pounds
2. Suspension- Not great on bumpy roads (below average)
3. Handling- Not great at slow speeds (below average)
4. Seat- Average comfort at best
5. Windshield- too much wind noise for me, Easily replaced with Givi (now) or Clearview (next year)

Despite the above 4 (number 5 is easily fixed) I like and recommend the Burg 650.
^^^ That sums up my response also. However, I find the seat is not that bad - I can go about 100 miles before squirming. The stretched out leg positions available help this factor.

My bike (bought used last year) came with a stock windshield as well as the Givi. Like Goldilocks, the stock w/s was too short, and the Givi too tall (I'm 5'11"). So I took the Givi to a glass shop and they trimmed off about 2 inches on top. Now it's the perfect height.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah - the Burgman needs the Daylong or some such to do distance....but then many bikes do

·
Registered
704 Posts
My friend has a Vstrom 650 for sale. A 2012. It was difficult for him to mount so I helped him lower it nearly an inch but it was still plenty high. He installed a $1000 electronic cruise. I don't know off hand how many miles on it but he bought it several months before I bought mine and I passed him pronto and then passed the double the miles. He bought a scooter.

Now for the negatives of the 650.

1. My biggest complaint is it has no sense of direction. I run 3 miles into town to pick up groceries, a part, etc and get home with another 30+ miles added to the odometer. Today I ran a quick trip into town to fuel up and take it thru the car wash and when I got home the odometer said 62 miles. The bad part is this has been an on going problem.

2. The suspension. Old brick streets with concrete patches tests one's skill and maneuvering at slower speeds. Some interstate bridges can be rough on the enter or exit.

3. Fuel consumption. I've been getting 52-55mpg lately. My 50cc moped thirty years ago got double that.

4. The seat. It was uncomfortable but I got it changed. Better then factory but not quite perfect.

I've owned it 2 years and 1 month and have 23500 miles on it. Will most likely see 24,000 by the end of the week.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts