Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title of this post may sound a bit arrogant but it is not meant that way. I would like to see a honest review of the BMW650, Silverwing, Kymco Myroad, and burgman 650. I have a Silverwing and Burgman 650 so I know about the difference between a CVT and a Electronic cvt. I use my Silverwing as an everyday commuter, roadster type scooter. When it comes to 2 up and Interstate touring I want the Burgman. I have found that the Burgman 650 is the BEST MID SIZE TOURING MOTORCYCLE you can buy. It just happens to be a step thru with an automatic transmission. There is not another 650 or 750 that is as smooth or comfortable as the Burgman 650. You get tired of your sitting position just move your legs in or out or shift your body position. I have found that a 1000 miles on a super scooter is like sitting in your lounge chair. In drive the Burgman will run 80 and 90 mph all day long. When you put it in manual mode and go to 6th gear that is the same as overdrive I am running 5500 rpm at 95 mph. It cuts through the air better at 95 than it does at 70 mph. A lot of 1000cc plus bikes cant do that, and when it comes to the other super scooters it just walks away from the at that speed. The problem is that the cycle mags do not have scooter people doing the reviews, they have crotch rocket test drivers that hate anything that resembles a scooter.

I have met a few old Harley riders that could not ride a conventional motorcycle anymore because the riding position was to confining. They now have scooters , but don't want to be seen by there old buds. imagine having friends based upon what you ride. BSA started making parallel twins years ago when there land mark was single cylinder 4 strokes. That would be like Harley making a 1000cc step through today. peer pressure can be a powerful thing.

So to the cycle magazines, Step out of your biased scooter reviews and let a real maxi scooter rider do the scooter reviews.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I agree , nothing rides like a 650 Burg . That said as much as I really don't care for the Silverwings , they are much as in MUCH , easier to work on and if you take care of them they will run forever .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
"Rider" magazine covers scooters every once in a while.
They've written about the Burgman 650 a few times.

·
Registered
515 Posts
While I agree that the 650 Burgman is a great touring mount and an all around super motorbike. The jury is still out as far as comfort is concerned , at least in my case.

I find the riding position to be less than optimal , at least for me. I can and do move my feet around , but am not comfortable in the feet forward position as it puts too much pressure on my low back and I get a terrible pain in my hips ( sciatica) . That's why I stopped riding cruiser styled motorcycles.

I had Cary Vincent build me a seat , added an Isuzzu back rest but i am still fighting with the low back/sciatica issue.

I love the CVT transmission and the options it offers, the wind protection is superb. The suspension is abismal IMHO .

All in , I would prefer a V Strom 650 with better wind protection ( less buffeting) and a CVT :confused:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Try a Beadrider for your sciatica....I have it as well and a Russell Daylong seat and the Beadrider improves it and keeps my sciatica at bay on long rides

I think the Burgman 650 is the best all around ride I've owned.

Can tour well, do the twisties, do the grocery shopping and tolerable in traffic and "okay" gas mileage at lower speeds plu incredible weather protection.
Exec is a very sweet ride.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
When you put it in manual mode and go to 6th gear that is the same as overdrive I am running 5500 rpm at 95 mph. It cuts through the air better at 95 than it does at 70 mph.
I'll have some of whatever you're drinking ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
IMO the Burgman is the best kept secret in motorcycling. I've had all the street cred bikes in the past just to fit in but the Burgman does everything well and is the most comfortable bike I have owned.

·
Registered
748 Posts
IMO the Burgman is the best kept secret in motorcycling. I've had all the street cred bikes in the past just to fit in but the Burgman does everything well and is the most comfortable bike I have owned.
Agreed. I don't think 95% of people/riders know it even exists much-less how nice of and all around scooter, cruiser, tourer it is. You just have to ride one;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Try a Beadrider for your sciatica....I have it as well and a Russell Daylong seat and the Beadrider improves it and keeps my sciatica at bay on long rides

I think the Burgman 650 is the best all around ride I've owned.

Can tour well, do the twisties, do the grocery shopping and tolerable in traffic and "okay" gas mileage at lower speeds plu incredible weather protection.
Exec is a very sweet ride.
I have the BeadRider mounted for summer and use a Sheepskin in the cooler temps. Neither one seems to help with the Sciatica.
I have found that stretching every morning before I start the day seems to help a little sometimes.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Agreed. I don't think 95% of people/riders know it even exists much-less how nice of and all around scooter, cruiser, tourer it is. You just have to ride one;)
My friend spent all summer last year trying to get me to ride his 05 650. I finally rode it through the mountains o n a Thursday in October and bought a 400 on Friday.

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Doubt if we will ever see a honest review of a scooter in a motorcycle article. What ever we call a big scooter be it a Burgman, Kymco, Silverwing or BMW they are a breed apart form other 2 wheelers. Most everyone that asked about my 650 can't believe it's a scooter. Those should have flat floors & top speeds of 45 mph & get 100 mpg.
Guess our Burgmans will just have to be our secret.:thumbright:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
One of the best-kept secrets. The best has to be the '89-'91 Honda PC800 (Pacific Coast).

-Former PC800
cultist owner :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
One of the best-kept secrets. The best has to be the '89-'91 Honda PC800 (Pacific Coast).

-Former PC800 cultist owner :)
It looked like a scooter before they invented Maxi-scooters. It was perceived as a girl's bike.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Burgman riders rate the 650 higher than reviewers

I have found that the Burgman 650 is the BEST MID SIZE TOURING MOTORCYCLE you can buy. It just happens to be a step thru with an automatic transmission. There is not another 650 or 750 that is as smooth or comfortable as the Burgman 650. The problem is that the cycle mags do not have scooter people doing the reviews, they have crotch rocket test drivers that hate anything that resembles a scooter.
In one comparative review of maxi-scooters, the Burgman 650 came in third primarily because the motorcycle reviewers could not figure out how to handle the throttle when taking the bike thru the corners. They also disliked the weight and the handling.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/244/10387/motorcycle-article/2011-suzuki-burgman-650-comparison.aspx

There are also favorable reviews out there:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles...12-suzuki-burgman-650-executive-ar122308.html

Motorcycle magazine writers gave the Burgman 3 out of 5 stars.
Owner reviewers gave the 650 a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.

http://www.visordown.com/reviews/mo...gman-an650/reader-reviews/124.html#review2481

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
We ignore those clueless reviewers.

Hands down, the Burgman 650, followed by the 400 are some of the best bikes for sport and touring. What those senseless writers do not understand is the clutch is made to slip.

·
Registered
753 Posts

-Former PC800 cultist owner :)
Hey, no argument here! I still own my 1995 (they made them for several years longer than '91 BTW) PC800 that I bought new. Put over 70,000 miles on it the first 5 years I owned it. Changed the oil now and then, the spark plugs every few years and thanks to the hydraulic valve adjustment that was about it. It don't look quite a sharp as it did 18 years ago but it still runs great and will always have a place in my garage. My widow may sell it someday, but I never will.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
From http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/244/10387/motorcycle-article/2011-suzuki-burgman-650-comparison.aspx
Justin Dawes in response to Colchicine said:
..I still say the Burgman has clutch slippage issues. It should lock up much sooner and should not backshift and hunt for the optimal ratio as much as it does, especially in corners.
Hands down, the Burgman 650, followed by the 400 are some of the best bikes for sport and touring. What those senseless writers do not understand is the clutch is made to slip.

The clutch is not slipping, but the CVT responds very quickly to throttle changes. My SpeedoHealer "speed exaggeration" mod to the CVT makes it upshift sooner, like "winter mode" on some upscale cars' auto boxes.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Heh heh! Me too! It be neat to own the first vehicle in history to defy the laws of physics! :)
Yes, but my reference was more to the claimed 5,500rpm @ 95mph. At that speed the Burgie is pulling well into 6,000+.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, no argument here! I still own my 1995 (they made them for several years longer than '91 BTW) PC800 that I bought new. Put over 70,000 miles on it the first 5 years I owned it. Changed the oil now and then, the spark plugs every few years and thanks to the hydraulic valve adjustment that was about it. It don't look quite a sharp as it did 18 years ago but it still runs great and will always have a place in my garage. My widow may sell it someday, but I never will.
I still have my '95 PC800 and still prefer it for long distance rides; huge luggage capacity with GIVI Maxia, tank bag and tail bag and it is as good or better than new, I never pack, just throw stuff in until I think I have everything I might need; did a totally uneventful, comfortable 1181 mile IBA ride on it in 17 hours last year.
I like my '13 650 Burgman quite well, but until I can get it adjusted to fit me better, I rarely ride it more than 300-400 miles at a time, unlike the PC which is ready to go any distance at any time and requires only limited maintenance......may be one of the very best solo touring bikes ever.
Both would be better if they carried another gallon or so of fuel; with +4 Rifle screen, the PC has better weather protection and is more comfortable on longer rides than the Burgman......power is similar......Burgman has better brakes, including ABS, and requires less mental bandwidth to ride......will keep the PC until I die, though that may not be all that long.......I don't even buy green bananas anymore......have had dozens of bikes since I began riding in 1960 and the PC would be the one I would choose if I could have only one of them.....love the Burgman for local/day rides, though......time and adjustment will tell......main thing is to ride......
TW

1 - 20 of 29 Posts