Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post here, so please bare with me.

I'm currently the owner of a Honda CBR250. I use it exclusively for commuting, a tad less than 50 miles round trip, 3 or 4 days a week. Though it has proven an extremely frugal ride, as I'm getting up in age I find the forward lean less and less desirable (numb hands). This is especially evident if there's an accident on the highway and I have to sit in traffic clutching it for an uncomfortably long time. Also, during the colder months, the lack of wind protection becomes an issue. I live in AZ, but in the winter 30 degree mornings are not uncommon, in fact rather typical.

Lately I've been looking around to possibly replace my ride, and I don't want to overlook any of the auto bikes, such as Honda's NC700x, or the CTX, and of course maxi scooters. I'm not necessarily ruling out a manual, CB500X looks nice for the $, as well as many others. But when I sit down and consider what I really want: LOTS of wind protection, LOTS of comfort and LOTS of storage the Burgman 650 shoots right to the top of the list. It also has considerably more power than my current ride and heck, the auto tranny might be pretty sweet.

Oh, I should throw in for fun that I used to own a PC800, probably one of my favorite bikes just for the convenience and simplicity. I'm not much of a chrome polisher, though I do do my own maintenance I don't want to be overwhelmed by it, maybe hose it off once a month or so, keep the oil clean etc.

Anyhow, I also like the looks of the Silverwing, or even the new BMW, but the Burgman seems to have so much more, here is a short list of reasons I like it over the Silverwing:
Larger electronically controlled windscreen
Wider fairing with body mounted rear view mirrors (also liked this on the PC800)
More glove compartments
Twin headlights
Larger wheels
Heated grips and seat
Passenger floor boards
Less vibration
and, the variety of shifting modes

Now here is where I have to apologize as I'm sure these things have been asked a 100 times. I have done a few searches on the forum and quite a bit of reading, but I still have questions.
There are also some sweet looking deals on craigslist which are so tempting, but ... I get worried reading about the potential for a CVT failure. This is something I (well, I'm sure all of us), desperately wish to avoid. Are the late models, say 2011+ any less vulnerable? I did read that the stopper bolt has been upgraded? Or is it completely hit or miss? The Burgman has so many advantages in my mind over the silverwing except for that one big issue. I definitely need a dependable ride. Or, as long as you keep an eye on that bolt wearing are you okay?

Well, sorry again for the long post asking a question that's probably been asked many times before, but I certainly would appreciate some informed feedback.

Thanks ...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I have all the big scooters except for the BMW . If you want the best ride get the 650 Burgman . If you want the most economical long term ride get the Silverwing . That said the Silverwing is no where near the scooter the 650 Burgman is . Like I said I have all of them and guess what ? I drive the Burg 99% of the time . Also I just bought second 650 Burg , the deal was so good I couldn't pass it up . All that said I would recommend you look around for a very low mileage 650 Burg in the $3,000 range , that way if the CVT blows up on you your losses are limited . If you go with the Silverwing still try and stay in the 3 to $4,000 range . Resale value on bikes and scooters are in the toilet right now , so you should be able to get a really good deal from a private owner . Be PATIENT when you are shopping and don't be afraid to ask us about a find before you lay out your cash .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
There is no assurance that you will not have a CVT problem but in my opinion the likelihood that you will is overblown on forums. The likelihood that you will have a problem at less than 50,000 miles is even lower. With the commuting mileage you referenced that gives you 5 years before you need to start worrying.

I've got 104,000+ miles on my 07 650 now and all I've done to the CVT is clean the filter and change the belt at about 82,000 miles. I did the work myself and spent a little over $300 on it. I can't guarantee your experience will be the same but no one can guarantee it won't be either.

Suzuki did make some changes in the CVT in 2011 and 2012 that should enhance the reliability even more.

Edited to add, I did change the stopper bolt at around 50,000 miles but it didn't really need to be changed. I just did it as a preventative.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My first Burgman was a 400 because of my concern with the CVT. After it was totaled, I bought a 650 because it was the best available at the best price at the time. I enjoy it very much and I am no longer concerned with the CVT. The 650 does not have heated seats and grips and only the Executive has an electric windshield. My non-Exec 650 has a vented Clearview that I like very much.

If your commute is on high speed roads, I would suggest the 650 but if it doesn't, the 400 will do a fine job (better fuel economy and cheaper tires.) The 400 has a larger trunk under the seat.

I considered a Silverwing but it is like a larger 400 that uses much more gas.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I bought my 07 400 with 500 miles on it & rode it for 46k+ before selling after 44 months. I read the post about the so called CVT problem. I to decided it is way over blown & bought a used 09 Exc with 7300 miles. I commute 50 miles like you in the desert of So. Cal. Find a good used under 10k 650 & I don't think you will be disappointed. ;)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Pretty much dittos as to what everyone else has said. You only hear about the ones that have given people troubles and it seems that those are few and far between.

Even though scooters for the most part do not get ridden the miles like most motorcycles do, especially full blown touring bikes, there are literally millions of trouble free Burgman miles put on every year. I bought mine several months ago with the intent of keeping my mileage down somewhat on my 2010 Goldwing but that may have backfired on me because it seems that I am riding my Burgman more and more and my Goldwing less and less!

Bottom line is if you what a Burgman 650 then get you one and ride it in confidence. Suzuki certainly would not still be making them more than 10 years if there really was any problems with them after all.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
First off, you're embarking on a wonderful journey. I too was a motorcyclist for 20 years. I actually came close to buying a PC800 back in the day, but opted for an ST1100. Then I tried a Maxi, bought an old Helix and never went back. Soon my ST was sold and scooters are all I've ridden for the past 15 years. THEY ARE ADDICTIVE! Once you realize how comfortable, and reliable and practical and just plain fun to ride, you will hit yourself in the head for not getting one sooner.

Now to the question at hand, should you get a Burgman 650? Yes.

Either of the Burgs would do just fine. The 400 is better around town, the 650 is better on the freeway and two-up riding. The CVT is a non-issue with the amount of good used bikes on the market. I got my 650 non-exec with 3500 miles for only $3300 USD. Even if I only get 50k miles out of the bike, which seems to be the minimum for the belt, I will consider the 650 a win. But chances are very good it will surpass that minimum.

So go, buy and enjoy. Your fretting is for not. My dad used to say, don't spend a dollar's worth of worry on a quarter decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the good advice, I have to admit I am certainly getting the itch. Yep, I can't imagine I would have it past 50k miles anyhow, typically I'm ready for a new ride when that time comes.
Osbornk, I must have misunderstood a review I read, it said something like Suzuki had dropped the executive moniker in the US, though it's being kept in Europe for the models with heated grips and seats. Maybe it's just an option in the US, or at least pre wiring I think. I did forget one other plus over the silverwing, I think only the Burgman has a 12v outlet in a glove box.
Yep, my commute is pretty much all highway so the 650 would be the way I'd go. One guy locally on craigslist had a 2011 executive for 7 grand, only 2,500 miles, probably more than I'm looking to spend but that sounded like a good deal to me.
In reality I'll probably keep my eye open for an older one with lower miles. Several others were 06 or 07's with 25k to 30k+ for 4 grand plus, perhaps in time I'll find one with lower mileage and price :)
Another nice thing about an older one (in my mind) is that I'll typically only get liability insurance, barely over $100 a year. So far, I'm ahead of the game I guess.

Thanks again for the input

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That $7k deal is sweet for an Exec.

Most reliable and best all around bike I've owned in 45 years of riding.

Two batteries ( aside from tires ) are the sum total of my "repairs" on a 2005 and 2009 - 75,000 km ridden between them.

I suspect it will compare favourably to the PC800 and when you hit the power button in the twists you are in for a very pleasant surprise. Transformer bike for sure.

Get the low miler 2011....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a couple of 650's. I am in Chandler and as long as you have your M/C endorsement we can take a nice long drive together. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Do not remember reading of CVT failure on 2009 plus later model year, this may happen but very rare. CVT issue always seem on 2003 to 2007.

650 Burgie is best, most fun, most trouble free, most reliable and most complete bike me ever own. My biggest problem went purchase me first 650 Burgie in 2005 was '' What will friends think, it a scooter '' once over that all the fun begin and never ever stop after.

·
Registered
426 Posts
OP, the "executive" moniker has been dropped since the new redesigned/restyled 2013 (AN650L3) models were released, as the electronic mirrors, screen and ABS are now included as standard, so dropping the moniker makes sense. However the extra heated grips and seat are only supplied on the AN650L3 and AN650L4 models slated for the EU market and excludes the USA, AU, NZ, (most of the Asian) markets, which IMO is pretty short sighted, given that many other regions suffer cold/wet and harsh winter climates. Occasionally one can stumble across a model outside the intended market.

Seems pretty short sighted of Suzuki to only single out the EU market with these additional options.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
OP, I bought a '09 Burgman 650 Executive with about 2000 miles on it this past spring after going through much the same torment as you are going through right now. I too owned a Pacific Coast, put about 150,000 miles on it while I owned it. Loved that bike. The Burgman 650 is the nearest thing to the PC on the market currently. I have medical problems and needed to find a bike that I didn't have to pull a clutch lever on and that limited my choices to bikes that have automatic transmissions of one type or another as I wasn't interested in trying to adapt a clutched motorcycle over to remove the clutch lever.

In spite of what I had read about the "transmission troubles" of the Burgman 650 I decided that what I was seeing was more than likely affecting maybe 1% of the Burgmans out there. So, I put the money on the table and bought my bike. Haven't regretted it for one moment. Love this bike too just like I loved my Pacific Coast.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
351 Posts
In 2011 I had the same dilemma... I didn't want to buy the B650 because of the CVT problems that I saw on this forum. I test rode a B650 2003 and really liked the way it rode... but I didn't like what I read about the CVT problems.

Same answers here as back in 2011 when I asked the same question. The answers were comforting, but I still felt like I had a "ticking time bomb" that if the CVT failed that I'm looking at $3,000+ in repairs as I don't work on motorcycles anymore.

I bought a new 2009 B650Ex in 2011 as they were having good deals trying to get rid of the '09 as the '11 were already out.

I now have 10,000+ miles on my B650Ex that I've owned for almost 3 years. In the back of my mind I know that if the CVT goes out, I'm just going to sell my B650Ex. So at the rate I'm riding, I'm going to have another 6-9 more years of riding hopefully before I think of selling it. My B650Ex has been more reliable than either of my BMW F800GS and R1200R.

There is nothing I can say to ease the feelings of the CVT because I have the same feeling... I'm not Buffalo or LeDude -so fixing the CVT myself is not an option for me if it goes out.

I already sold my B650Ex back to the dealership as I didn't want to deal with the CVT issues. Nobody wanted to buy my B650Ex and it was in better condition than when I first bought it with all the shimming to get out any rattles. After 3 months I bought my B650Ex back from the dealership :p still knowing about "IF there was a CVT problem", I would get rid of my B650Ex.

They say that the 2013 B650 has 35% less drag on the transmission, but that does not ease my fears of buying a 2013+ in the future. I really like my B650Ex, but if I replace my B650Ex; it will be for another motorcycle unless Suzuki does something to make the CVT more accessible in the next 6-9 years :toothy9:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Last summer I did some long distance runs with the Burg 650. One day we did over 650 miles on the interstate at speeds of 80mph showing on the GPS. Only problem we had was the 1200cc Harley loosing 3 of the 4 bolts holding the muffler on. The CVT thing is way over-blown in my opinion. This summer I am doing an 16 hr one day ride to the Black Hills in South Dakota. Not worried one bit about the Burgman making it or having something go wrong with the CVT.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
132 Posts
The BMW scooters are nice but be warned that maintenance on the BMW is costly. 12000 miles the belt is scheduled to be replaced and at 24000 miles the belt AND the chain are scheduled to be replaced. They are beautiful scooters but you better have deep pockets for maintenance.
respectfully,
David miller

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The BMW scooters are nice but be warned that maintenance on the BMW is costly. 12000 miles the belt is scheduled to be replaced and at 24000 miles the belt AND the chain are scheduled to be replaced. They are beautiful scooters but you better have deep pockets for maintenance.
respectfully,
David miller
I am a member of 3 BMW forums. Also, there are several issues that have been or are in the process of being resolved.

I have had (until late summer) 4 BMW motorcycles. I didn't have any problems but according to friends who ride them and folks on the forums, many BMW models have issues that are far more frequent than the CVT issues of the 650. The R1200 oilheads (2005-2009) had issues with rear drive failures as did the R1200 Hexheads (2010-2011). The Boxer engines and the K-Bike bricks have always had clutch spline issues that are very expensive. The newer K-bikes and Wethead R1200s have a wet clutch rather than an automotive dry clutch (that has to have the splines lubricated are regular intervals--requires transmission removal). Their largest and nicest bike is the K1600GT and GTL. and they seem to be plagued with water pump failures.

I bought my Burgman with the knowledge that the CVT might possibly be a problem but I left BMW partly because of the multiple possibilities of problems. My last BMW had servo assisted ABS brakes that sometimes fails at a cost of $2,400+ for the part alone.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Do not remember reading of CVT failure on 2009 plus later model year, this may happen but very rare. CVT issue always seem on 2003 to 2007.
That's what I found also. That's why I bought my 09. In 8 1/2 months I've but more miles (8k+) on it then the first owner did in 4 years plus. :D I did replace the stopper bolt (1 small nick) when I did my first oil change at 10k. Only other thing has been tires & gas which is normal.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've been wracked by the same fear of catastrophic CVT failure for over seven years and 35000 trouble-free miles. And the look of unease and dread etched upon my face is constantly mistaken for the 'Burgman Grin'.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i've been wracked by the same fear of catastrophic cvt failure for over seven years and 35000 trouble-free miles. And the look of unease and dread etched upon my face is constantly mistaken for the 'burgman grin'.
good one!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts