Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me advice on upgrading my 2010 Burgy's suspension? I'm looking at replacing my shocks & forks with Hagon progressive forks # 400-106-03 & # 36501 twin shocks.
I ridequite a bit over the summer months, (about 25,000 klms per year)
Any feedback from anyone who has had their bike's suspension upgraded would be greatly appreciated.:serious

·
Registered
508 Posts
No shortage of information if you use the search feature.
Showa/harley air shocks on the rear and sonic springs on the front are probably the most cost effective solution.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can waste a lot of money here w/o getting much in return. A seat pad is a better investment because of the basic engineering of the scooter w/o limited suspension travel.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can waste a lot of money here w/o getting much in return. A seat pad is a better investment because of the basic engineering of the scooter w/o limited suspension travel.
Thats your opinion

I tried a seat pad of sorts, (strategic placement of self adhesive foam) yes it made it better.
Based on those results I had the seat reshaped including surgery to the actual seat base and then recovered, that made it better again, mainly by getting me further back on the seat.
None of that improved suspension and handling

What gave the best improvement by a long shot was the showa/harley air shocks for $100.
Better handling and a lot more comfort and cheaper than the seat fix or an air-hawk pad.

The sonic springs for around $100 stopped diving and bottoming out of the front forks so again, a great improvement and something a seat pad would not possibly replicate.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Showa makes excellent shocks!
Wish someone made one to fit a 400. I'm sure some measuring and research you could find one to fit, but would it work any better?

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Racer X is probably right on the money for barely used HD shocks. I run Ikons but they are a pricier option.

Go for straight rate springs in the forks though, matched to you weight/use. There's only 100mm/4" travel in the 650's forks. With correct sag, that only leaves about 2" max up or down, which gets easily eaten up by average road imperfections. Progressive springs will give up too much travel to your weight alone, IMO.

As for fork oil, try 5W. Thicker oil (10W or even 15W) will slow the compression stroke, making weak springs feel stronger. BUT compression is only half the story, for bumps that raise above the road surface. There are also holes and dips too, that the forks/wheel need to dip into (rebound!) to keep you stable.

So a proper set of springs will control your compression/sag properly. 5w oil won't interfere too much with the stiffer spring absorbing energy as it compresses. That's okay. What the 5w does do is speed up the rebound, allowing the forks/wheel to follow the dips better as they extend. The 650's forks are simple damping rods, with a single rebound refill hole that impedes thicker oils.

I have tested 15w, 10w and 5w (Motul brand) with upgraded springs and Racetech GVE and I've almost got the Big Burger dancing. Just a touch more slow speed compression damping and I think that's it.

As always, I bow to the experience of Le Dude, Cliffy, Buffalo (and others) on this subject, but the above really worked for me.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
There's also 7.5W i had success with my V-Strom. 5W looks a bit soft.

·
Registered
508 Posts
When I did my front forks with Sonic straight rate springs they said use 10wt.
As ATF is mentioned by so many I used that as it is readily available, has stood the test of time and is cheap.
Dave_J mentioned somewhere that ATF+4 is a true 10 weight synthetic fluid and that's what I used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
No shortage of information if you use the search feature.
Showa/harley air shocks on the rear and sonic springs on the front are probably the most cost effective solution.
Hi there!
Do you know the differences between those springs? They have on the Sonic website 4 different models, with 0.80 and so on till 0.90.
I imagine that those numbers refers to the strength of the steel.
Is my assumption correct?

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Interesting to see so many comments on using ATF since it's "10 weight" & cheap.
I did a fair bit of homework regarding fork oil, & it all seemed to point at the weight being a poor guideline & that other measure,s including the viscosity index, being more to the point since they are more representative of how the oil in the fork will flow both cold and at higher temperatures.

Long and short; although I still may install emulators if I feel ambitious, I ended up doing a fork oil change to a Maxima 10 weight that has a higher viscosity & other factors than stock, but less than the 15 weights some have gone to with mixed results.

It's not perfect, but was a lot cheaper and easier than installing emulators, & a definite improvement over the stuff I dumped out. Yup you guessed it. The forks were full of ATF.

Even expensive fork oil's cheap folks. The stuff I used was about 2 bucks per quart more than ATF runs around here, give or take a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tips for 2019 BURGMAN 650 - SUSPENSION UPGRADE. Hello everyone, a few months ago I bought a brand new Burgman 650 Executive. Excellent bike, but every time I need to go through an unpaved road it’s really bad :( I’dd like to upgrade the suspension but I don’t find any aftermarket solution for this year's version – any tips? Writing from Portugal here, hope my English is OK :) Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Writing from Portugal here, hope my English is OK :) Thank you!
Welcome, your english is better than OK and we’re glad your here.... but the problem is we never got the 2019 B650 here in the USA to tinker with .... check the Italian or Asian Boards for tips on the 2019 and come back and tell us what you found.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thx for the quick reply :) I'll try to find those Boards of tips you mentioned, and if I find anything mensurable I'll come back to share. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Thanks Mate, we have a lot of great guys here with lots of valuable wisdom to share so make sure to stop in daily...we all want a 2019 B650 and to ride your countryside .

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ciao!
I installer the Racetech emulators and i couldn't be more happy.

Long story short, some of my friends are at the third Burgman and them (which i really trust) abandoned any mod made to springs, oils and preloads 'cause they were never satisfied (i'm talking about guys that made almost all the dolomiti pass in one single streak).

So i started with the only thing they did'nt touch: the hidraulic part.
Now, i have a K8 and not a new one, so i don't know how much a difference there's from start, but JUST THE VALVES (i did'tn afford the springs also) my first thought was "well, the rear shocks seems really crappy".

So my suggestion is to start from the racetech valves without trying anything else before.

Reactions: Tromper

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
What'd ya drill the holes out to?

Ciao!
I installer the Racetech emulators and i couldn't be more happy.

Long story short, some of my friends are at the third Burgman and them (which i really trust) abandoned any mod made to springs, oils and preloads 'cause they were never satisfied (i'm talking about guys that made almost all the dolomiti pass in one single streak).

So i started with the only thing they did'nt touch: the hidraulic part.
Now, i have a K8 and not a new one, so i don't know how much a difference there's from start, but JUST THE VALVES (i did'tn afford the springs also) my first thought was "well, the rear shocks seems really crappy".

So my suggestion is to start from the racetech valves without trying anything else before.

·
Registered
538 Posts
What'd ya drill the holes out to?
My english is bad :(

If you asked me how i drilled the holes in the original thing, i just followed the instruction from racetech, which involves drilling the existing holes, plus two new, of a large diemeter.

You may find my post about this (sorry, i cant search and link it myself now)

·
Registered
141 Posts
650 Burgmans just like nearly every other Japanese bike are set up for a small rider
Increasing the preload & thicker fork oil, keeps the front from wasting the initial travel on sag
The rear shocks are state of the art 1980, nearly anything would be an improvement
something along these lines
Amazon.com: Mallofusa Motorcycle Air Shock Absorbers Pair Rear 13.5Inch (340mm) Clevis Ends Universal

Amazon.com: Mallofusa 14.75 inch (375mm) Motorcycle Pair Rear Air Shock Absorbers Clevis ends Universal

(Admin added longer 14.75 )

Reactions: Dave_J
1 - 20 of 20 Posts