Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My seat containing helmet, gloves, registration and owners manual will not open.

I put in the key and push as usual and nothing happens. If I can not get it open I will have to trailer scooter 50 miles to the dealer. The owners maual might have helped if I had not put it ins such a secure place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions eslecially as weather is warming and I was hoping to start riding.

Glen in Maryland :(

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
When you turn the key, try pushing down on the seat, then up. Sometimes my stock seat stuck and doing this would open it right up.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
That brings up a good point... If the seat release is a mechanical link, it might just need some lubrication. If it's an electric relay, then you might have a bad connection, a bad fuse, a bad part, or all.

If you do get it open, consider putting a little grease on the latch anyway.

Good luck.

Dave B.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
gpb47,
casek makes a good point but you may fine it better to have someone else push down on the back of the seat as you turn the key,
I find it very hard to do both at the same time and get enough force on the seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stuck Seat

Thank you both. I have been trying the push and pull to no avail. I will continue until Monday and then think about trailering. Lubrication is certainly a must and if I ever get it open by myself will chek that part out.

Thanks again,

STuck in Maryland

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
gpb47
I was thinking...............
Just in case your helmet is pushing up from inside the seat you may need more force then you think, have some one push down hard b/4 you push the key in and turn then while you are still holding the key have them try to open it......
If you really don't feel any resistance to the key when you turn it then maybe dealer time. :(

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I don't think you can get the top body panel off without having the seat open on a 650. The two front fasteners that hold it on are under the seat edge.

If you've got a backrest installed, that's gonna have to come off too.

Anyone with a service manual... Is their any sort of diagram that traces the path of that latch release cable? Perhaps there is somewhere else along it's path it can be accessed and pulled.

·
Registered
639 Posts
gpb47 said:
Help! My seat containing helmet, gloves, registration and owners manual will not open.

I put in the key and push as usual and nothing happens. If I can not get it open I will have to trailer scooter 50 miles to the dealer. The owners maual might have helped if I had not put it ins such a secure place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions eslecially as weather is warming and I was hoping to start riding.

Glen in Maryland :(
Hey Glen, this happens to my bike quite often. Threw me for a loop the first time, thinking that I was going to have to look through this forum for a solution that I had read before, but I've got it figured now. I just make a fist and bop it down once :shock: at the tail end of the seat, then turn the key & it opens everytime. Used to have to that with old TV sets. Seriously though, I think the problem has something to do with closing the seat. Bopping it seems to fix the problem. Try it! At least it will make you feel better! :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hope you have got the seat unlocked by now. Once you have, you need to put in the "Sertified BurgmanUSA Seat Release Safety System". Its described in the post "Seat Latch Release", sorry, you will have to search for it, as I don't know how to help you to "mouse" over to it.

As a separate thread, please will one of our computer wizards list how you do a link to photos and previous threads, please.

In haste, just about to go riding and castle visiting here in England, kind of a spring day, expecting 8C temps.

Update
Thanks Brian, here is the link

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ight=#8791

We did not get to use our 650, flat battery again, so it will have to be booked into the dealer for a check, as I did not put the steering lock over to the light position. We think if may be a problem with the alarm/immobiliser.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ladnar said:
...will one of our computer wizards list how you do a link to photos and previous threads, please.
Go to the photo or thread to which you want to post a link.
For an image, right click on the picture, then select "Show Properties" in the dialog box that pops up.
Press-and-drag across the picture's URL to highlight it, then press Press [Ctrl]+[C] to copy.
Highlight the address in your browser's address bar for a link to a thread, then press [Ctrl]+[C] to copy.
Go to your new post on BurgmanUSA.
Click on the [ Img ] (Image) button to link a picture, or the [ URL ] (Universal Resource Locator) button to link to a post.
Press [Ctrl]+[V] to paste in the address.
Click on the or [URL] button again (the correct button will have an asterisk after its name, like [Img*]).
Click the [Submit] button (or the [Preview] button to see approximately what it will look like on screen, then the [Submit] button if you're satisfied).
Done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
650 Seat Stuck

CAJEK, 4DTHINKER, RANDY, RUBBLE, VFDCAPTAIN, IADNAR:

Thank you one and all. Finally got it open. Believe it or not the BOP IT worked and it really did make me feel better. I opened and closed about 12 time with no problem and nothing seemed amiss with the systme.

I do not see many problems relaed to this issue but with that long cable and the mechanics involved I am surprised it is not causing problems but maybe as it is not worked too often it stays forever.

I might try the picture hanging wire trick.

If it stops raining and temps hit 50 I intend my spring fling next weekend.

Again, thanks to all,

Glen

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
gpb47,
Thank you one and all. Finally got it open.
....That's one of the beauties of a forum like this.....

Just a thought ---if you really feel you saved money (not to mention time and trouble) why not think about becoming a BurgmanUSA Supporter ? 8)
With just casek I feel lonely on this thread :lol:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Re: 650 Seat Stuck

gpb47 said:
Finally got it open. Believe it or not the BOP IT worked and it really did make me feel better.
Sometimes the simple solution is the best. I hope others who have this problem pick up on this "BOP" method. :)

I can't see any clear mechanical reason why my seat refuses to open sometimes, but I'm wondering if I occasionally don't close the seat hard enough so that it latches properly. The "BOP" probably just pushes it down further into the latch so that it can be open normally with the key.

Whatever the reason behind it, the "BOP" seems to work.

Cheers! 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts