Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing this modification completed by others including Rollingbones (who ultimately motivated me) I decided to take a stab at the RUNNING LIGHTS on my Burgman 650:

Items used:

1 - 2006 Burgman 650 (SPG)
1 - Mini Add A Circuit Fuse Block
2 - Conduct Tite Light Sockets - Part No. 84725
1 - Package of 1157A LL bulbs (2-pack)
1 - Roll of 12 gauge wire

Cost: Approximately $20 (not counting the Burgman)

I know these items are available at Advance Auto Parts and I am sure they are available at others too.

Please Note:

1. Follow the instructions for removing the turn signal lenses, I decided to try to pop them out and cracked one at a cost of $36 shipped. If you remove them correctly they will come right out and no damage will be encountered. (See section 10 of the service manual)
2. I used 12 gauge wire, much too much for the amps being transmitted and it made the wire pulling more difficult than it should be...but I had the wire and did not want to go buy a different gauge. I would recommend 16 gauge.
3. I would classify this MOD as moderate. If you can install a car stereo without instructions you should not have any problems with this project.

According to the information I received from Rollingbones in this thread http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21429&highlight=, the Light Sockets fit perfectly in place of the factory sockets...they did.

Installation Steps:

1. Remove the Turn Signal Lens, Upper Dash, Fuse Block/Air Filter Cover, and disconnect the battery. Follow the instructions in the manual for these steps.
2. Un-Plug the Turn Signal Lens wiring from the harness and remove the socket from the lens. You will notice a metal socket inside the plastic retainer.
3. extract the metal socket from the plastic....it will be tight but a little twisting motion and they slipped right out.
4. Install the Conduct-Tite sockets in the plastic retainer. The result should look like this:

5. Wiring: Run a single wire thru the mirror and down into the dash on each side of the bike. Specifically, I started from the mirror and pushed the wire thru to the little hole shown in Rollingbones' Photo here:

from there, the wire needs to be pushed down into the tunnel/passage that leads to under the dash. Once under the dash, feed the wire from the right side across the front of the bike to the left and bring both wires to the fuse block. Be sure the wiring will not interfere with any moving parts.

6. Fuse Selection: I chose the 15A SIGNAL fuse circuit to connect to. Remove the fuse from the Fuse Block and insert it into the bottom plug on the "ADD A CIRCUIT".

For the Runnning Lights, I selected a 5A fuse (I will update if this ends up not being enough) and inserted into the upper slot. I connected the wires I pulled from the mirrors to the Add A Circuit using my trusty Soldering Iron and left it disconnected from the fuse block.
7. test connect the new socket to the wiring and determine which hot wire burns which filament in the new bulb and mark the brighter of the two (this will be the blink connection).
8. Splice the three wires, the constant burning (dim filament) to the new wire you ran, and the other two to the flash and ground wires. Again, I used my trusty Soldering Iron to make the connections.
9. Test the connection.....I recommend a volt meter to test them before re-connecting the fuse and battery. Plug in the add-a-circuit and re-connect the battery.....turn on the ignition and check the bulbs...they should be glowing constant. Now turn on the hazard flashers and check that the bulbs are burning constant and flashing.....if everything is good, install the lenses and the dash parts.

If everything works....your results should resemble this:

Pictures Located at: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Clocklaw/Mods/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Running lights/turn signals

Hey Clocklaw, Thanks for the great narration and info regarding this needed modification. This is also one thing I really want to do to my 650. besides adding a Fehling backrest with luggae rack. I don't understand why Suzuki didn't set the Burgman lights up this way from the factory :shock: since all it would have taken is the dual element sockets and bulbs! That would be one easy one up on the competition. WHO KNOWS? I guess this gives us something to do on those rainy days, (WHEN WE COULD USE THE EXTRA LIGHTS UP FRONT) when we can't or won't get our BURGMANS out to play :D Thanks again for all of your hard work and for taking the time to share on this wonderful forum!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
hey clock
I have found the unit you mentioned in your post at pep boys.
"Conduct Tite Light Sockets - Part No. 84725 "
but this unit is metal and smaller that the original with a plate that you have to use to make the unit work and not sealed at all
where did you buy yours?
I would like to do this mod also, but having mucho difficulty finding the right part.
thanks
Steve/Dallas,TX

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Thanks Clock... for the nice write up. Unfortunately, I'm dumber than dirt and didn't understand Item 6. Which says:

"6. Fuse Selection: I chose the 15A SIGNAL fuse circuit to connect to. Remove the fuse from the Fuse Block and insert it into the bottom plug on the "ADD A CIRCUIT". "

Do I take it from this that you are "Add a circuit" which replaces the SIGNAL fuse Circuit? Or are you tapping into that circuit and adding the Running Lights to that circuit? (Leaving the turn signal portion of the circuit intact).

And, I'm still looking forward to your Power Port write up also.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maxfun:

The Socket you found is the correct one. What you do is remove the plastic retainer from the lens on the bike and pull out the metal socket from the plastic retainer and replace it with the 84725. My pictures show the new socket in the retainer....see the picture attached.

Joe:

Specifically what you do is:

A. remove the 15A SIGNAL fuse.
B. Install the 15A SIGNAL fuse in the bottom of the ADD A CIRCUIT.
C. Install a 5A fuse in the top of the ADD A CIRCUIT.
D. Connect the wires pulled to the pig-tail of the ADD A CIRCUIT.
E. Plug the ADD A CIRCUIT into the 15A Fuse Location.

This adds a connection point for the added wiring without cutting the wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Thanks Clocklaw, your instructions for this mod were great. Your method of running the wires through the mirror housings saved me a lot of time not having to take the mirrors apart. I used a different bulb socket. The one I used was a Conduit Tite #84803 from Auto Zone. This socket is for the 1157 bulb but does not come with the attached bracket the 84725 has that needs to be removed anyway. The 84803 is also less money. $2.99 ea. I did have to solder a ground wire to the socket body to ensure a good ground connection. Since the 5 Watt side of the bulbs draw so little current, I used the 12 volt wiring that goes to the accessory power plug.

This is probably one of the best mods I have done and the total cost was less than $11 and about 2 easy hours labor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: Running lights/turn signals

UPDATE: Well I did the modification this week and it looks awsome :!: While I had the dash out , I decided to go ahead and add new AMBER LED lights in the upper corners of the head lights, Check out my pic's and modification on our local riders club web sight (( Look under "How To" )):arrow: http://www.WILDHOGSS.com :idea: Great Idea :idea: This is a fairly easy up-grade that I highly recommend to everyone that rides a BURGMAN 650! ((MORE LIGHTS=MORE VISIBILITY)) LED side markers are next--stay tuned.

·
Registered
248 Posts
light mod

Finished the mod last night. had to special order the sockets, no longer carried on the shelf at the auto parts store. Advance or autozone. at 10$ each they are kinda expensive.

took the mirrors off to get the wire snaked thru but they are easy to do. soldered and shrink wrapped all the connections. works like a charm..

THANKS for the details and pictures. now to tackle the extra running lights I have laying arround from the last bike. mike

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Very nice!! I love it!

I am wondering....Conduct Tite Light Sockets - Part No. 84725 is same one what 07 burgman 400 has???

I am dying to make front signals on as running lights too...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
micbergsma said:
Very nice!! I love it!

I am wondering....Conduct Tite Light Sockets - Part No. 84725 is same one what 07 burgman 400 has???

I am dying to make front signals on as running lights too...
I am not sure if anyone has tried this on a 400.

·
Banned
457 Posts
I just did this mod - thanks so much for the guiding hand in this how-to post. It took a while longer than I expected, but it was worth the effort to do it right.

I paid a few extra bucks for Silverlight 1157A bulbs, which seem to be nice and bright. I'd like to say that I thought about it beforehand and made the decision intentionally - but in all honesty I stumbled across them by accident when I couldn't find any "standard" amber bulbs.

:oops:

I posted a quick video for a friend (hello, Sven) so that he could see how the lights behave. It's fairly poor quality because of taking the vid at night on a small digital camera. For those that are interested in checking it out - here it is.

Thanks again for all the help - the biggest hassle was running the wire - and I probably wouldn't have figured it out without this primer. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
HHaynes said:
I just did this mod - thanks so much for the guiding hand in this how-to post. It took a while longer than I expected, but it was worth the effort to do it right.

I paid a few extra bucks for Silverlight 1157A bulbs, which seem to be nice and bright. I'd like to say that I thought about it beforehand and made the decision intentionally - but in all honesty I stumbled across them by accident when I couldn't find any "standard" amber bulbs.

:oops:

I posted a quick video for a friend (hello, Sven) so that he could see how the lights behave. It's fairly poor quality because of taking the vid at night on a small digital camera. For those that are interested in checking it out - here it is.

Thanks again for all the help - the biggest hassle was running the wire - and I probably wouldn't have figured it out without this primer. Cheers!
thanks for showing the video, beautiful!!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I did it... on a 400 :D

This mod cost me less a dollar to do that :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Help ANYBODY!!!!!
Today is Thanksgiving - Hey, happy Thanksgiving to everyone out in Burgland!!!!

I was out in the garage trying to do the running light mod and everything is OK - EXCEPT I'm having a heck of a time running the wire through the hole in the mirror housing and getting it to go down the tube and under the dash. For the life of me I can't seem to get it to turn down and feed through. I've tried a small flat blade screwdriver and a small phillips but they won't push the wire down through and I'm afraid I might chew a hole in the insulation of the stock turn signal harness in that area. Pushing on the wire just wrinkles it up inside the signal housing.

Anyone have any words of wisdom on how to get-er-done? I have been using 14 gauge wire, so I guess I'll wait until morning and go get some smaller 16 guage and see if that will go through better.

I even tried putting a little Vasaline on the wire hoping that it would slide easier and make the turn, but no go.

Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
457 Posts
It takes patience (and thin, stiff wire) but I started the feed to both the mirror assembly *and* into the body cavity through that divot that sits above the hinge on which the side-view mirror pivots. (per the guidelines and pics listed in the original post). I also had a very long thin set of needle nose pliers that helped pull it through into the light assembly.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Rollingbo ... 9.jpg.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmmm,
Thanks Houston,
Are you saying to start the wire down through the hole in the hinge, and then after you get it under the dash, also feed the other end 90 degrees into the mirror housing :?:

I've been coming in through the mirror housing, following the stock turn signal wires and once I could see it down in the hole of the tube in the hinge assembly I was trying to push it down to get it to go under the dash. I just couldn't get it to feed and continue down :(

Yes, patience is a virtue as my mom always used to tell me, and after working on this thing for 3 hours today, I felt like I had the patience part down pat, its just getting it to do what I need it to do that isn't working! :lol:

Let me know if I need to feed top of hole to bottom and THEN 90 degrees into the signal housing or if I'm still missunderstanding.

Thanks,

·
Banned
457 Posts
Biker Boy said:
Hmmmm,
Thanks Houston,
Are you saying to start the wire down through the hole in the hinge, and then after you get it under the dash, also feed the other end 90 degrees into the mirror housing :?:
That's how I did it. Bear in mind that the "original" line feeds through that path could twist and make it difficult to move a wire alongside it. You might try using a stiff wire from a coat hanger to shift things around and clear a path. Good luck.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I fed the wire from the mirror end to the hole....pulled it out of the hole and pulled a little excess wire, then turned it back down into the hole and under the dash....piece of cake.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts