Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon Burgman Riders,

Haven't posted anything on here in quite a while. Thought i would share my recent experiences with my 2-wheel Family.

I live in S. Florida, just 5 miles Southeast of West Palm Beach.

With my Burgman 650 Executive, i have taken Road trips to the Florida Keys a few times, have gone on a Round trip to New York twice, and last year i participated in the "Scooting the Ozarks" Rally in Eureka Spring, Arkansas...which 1 way is a 1300 mile Ride from my town. I then went up through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, back down to S Florida following the East Coast, which was over a 4,000 mile trip.

This year in September, i will be participating in the STO Rally in Eureka Springs, AR again, but first....i will be taking a 2,000 mile Road Trip from S Florida to Mt. Rushmore.

Impressed?...... :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
Shaun, keep in touch with the STO. There is a good chance it may be postponed or cancelled this year.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Shaun, keep in touch with Maggie at the STO. There is a good chance it may be postponed or cancelled this year.
Dave, I think Maggie is Maxi-Scoot Meet Up and STO is Scooting The Ozarks with razorbackredneck as the contact.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m impressed, did you have to buy any tires on the trip or did you start with fresh treads ?

You may enjoy this thread :

And keep an eye on this thread :

Hi Daris,

Glad that you are impressed!

I start all my long distance trips with freshly changed oil, and tires that will have enough tread to limit the amount of maintenance stops. I got an Oil change in Arkansas prior to heading over to NY, and didn't need one again until i came back home to S. Florida.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shaun, keep in touch with the STO. There is a good chance it may be postponed or cancelled this year.

Dave J,

I've been communicating with a handful of local Riders i met at the STO Rally last year.....all of them are optimistic that there will be an STO Rally this year....so i have my fingers crossed.

Either way, i'm still going to be heading to Mt. Rushmore in September.

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
Well, look up Member Ctran as he lives in Custer SD.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Hi Daris,

Glad that you are impressed!

I start all my long distance trips with freshly changed oil, and tires that will have enough tread to limit the amount of maintenance stops. I got an Oil change in Arkansas prior to heading over to NY, and didn't need one again until i came back home to S. Florida.
I’m not sure what your calendar looks like but this look like a fun group of Burgmans running from west to Arkansas :

I'm planning a ten day group road trip, from Friday September 4 through Sunday, the 13th, traveling from Grand Junction, Colorado to the Maxi-Scoot rally, spending Tuesday through Thursday on the rally rides, then back to Grand Junction. On the way to the rally, our first two days will be spent traveling a number of excellent roads in Colorado on a not very direct route. Total trip about 2500 miles plus rally rides, which look to be 100 to 300 miles a day. Including myself, I've got eight riders committed. I am still working on details, but have the route fairly firmed up and have made reservations for up to twelve people each night out to, and at the rally. To my knowledge, all eight will be returning to Grand Junction, but as some are joining from other states, including Texas, I can see them breaking away for a more direct ride home or staying over for the STO rally. That said, I have four openings on a first come basis for anyone wanting to join us from Grand Junction, with my approval. Lodging when available will be such as KOA Kozy Kabins to minimize cost, with hotels as necessary (hotel at rally). Let me know!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not sure what your calendar looks like but this look like a fun group of Burgmans running from west to Arkansas :

I love nothing more than to see my Burgman family racking up the miles!!

The STO 2020 Rally takes place on Sept. 14th.... my trip to Mt. Rushmore will take up probably 10 days, as i plan to explore also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Shaun,

Greetings from Boynton Beach. Nice to see other 650 Executive owners in the 'hood. I ride a 2016.

I live north of Gateway off Congress. Lake Worth is my failsafe destination if I haven't ridden all day (I feel like I need to get at least one ride in before the clock strikes midnight). I'll start north on Congress, right on Lake Worth and take my pick of US-1, A1A or I-95 to head south. Kind of a modified version of "going around the block."

I'd love to hear more about your itinerary for New York rides. My hometown is Rochester and I was planning to ride there in June to spend the summer. How many miles do you cover each day? Where do you stay overnight? What "just in case" gear do you carry?

I have a big Nelson-Rigg Route One soft case that sits on my passenger seat. I strap it to my Best backrest so I can lift the seat without untying the case -- works well and holds a ton of stuff. Also have a GIVI top case that I use for my XL Schuberth helmet. This morning I ordered an Air Hawk seat cushion anticipating some long rides.

My initial plan for the Rochester run was to take the Amtrak auto train from Orlando to southwest Washington D.C, then ride north through Pennsylvania and the Finger Lakes. With the virus thing, I'm leary of enclosed spaces like the train and hotel rooms -- I have been exploring tents that are portable enough to carry on the Burgman.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This year in September, i will be participating in the STO Rally in Eureka Springs, AR again, but first....i will be taking a 2,000 mile Road Trip from S Florida to Mt. Rushmore.
Shaun, if, on your trek your route takes you through or near Grand Junction, Colorado, We've got five acres great for rural camping, and may even have a hooked up RV for use as long as it's not in use already. Water, sewer, shop with tools.
IMG_1817.JPG
. This offer goes to any two-wheeled road warriors, as long as they behave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Afternoon Burgman Riders,

Haven't posted anything on here in quite a while. Thought i would share my recent experiences with my 2-wheel Family.

I live in S. Florida, just 5 miles Southeast of West Palm Beach.

With my Burgman 650 Executive, i have taken Road trips to the Florida Keys a few times, have gone on a Round trip to New York twice, and last year i participated in the "Scooting the Ozarks" Rally in Eureka Spring, Arkansas...which 1 way is a 1300 mile Ride from my town. I then went up through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, back down to S Florida following the East Coast, which was over a 4,000 mile trip.

Impressed?...... :cool:
"STO" ?

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shaun, if, on your trek your route takes you through or near Grand Junction, Colorado, We've got five acres great for rural camping, and may even have a hooked up RV for use as long as it's not in use already. Water, sewer, shop with tools. View attachment 90338 . This offer goes to any two-wheeled road warriors, as long as they behave.

That's one hell of an offer! I will keep you in mind, because i will be taking several Road Trips that will take me through the Mid-West. When i ride to Mt. Rushmore, i will be stopping overnight in Sioux Falls & Sioux City....opposite side of the State from Grand Junction, CO.

2-Wheels for Life =)

·
Registered
956 Posts
The Ozarks - is that the stomping grounds of the James gang of bank/train robbing fame - in the days when most people rode (but not Burgmans)?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Ozarks - is that the stomping grounds of the James gang of bank/train robbing fame - in the days when most people rode (but not Burgmans)?
It just may be!!!

You'll have to forgive me as History was not my best subject in School lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shaun,

Greetings from Boynton Beach. Nice to see other 650 Executive owners in the 'hood. I ride a 2016.

I live north of Gateway off Congress. Lake Worth is my failsafe destination if I haven't ridden all day (I feel like I need to get at least one ride in before the clock strikes midnight). I'll start north on Congress, right on Lake Worth and take my pick of US-1, A1A or I-95 to head south. Kind of a modified version of "going around the block."

I'd love to hear more about your itinerary for New York rides. My hometown is Rochester and I was planning to ride there in June to spend the summer. How many miles do you cover each day? Where do you stay overnight? What "just in case" gear do you carry?

I have a big Nelson-Rigg Route One soft case that sits on my passenger seat. I strap it to my Best backrest so I can lift the seat without untying the case -- works well and holds a ton of stuff. Also have a GIVI top case that I use for my XL Schuberth helmet. This morning I ordered an Air Hawk seat cushion anticipating some long rides.

My initial plan for the Rochester run was to take the Amtrak auto train from Orlando to southwest Washington D.C, then ride north through Pennsylvania and the Finger Lakes. With the virus thing, I'm leary of enclosed spaces like the train and hotel rooms -- I have been exploring tents that are portable enough to carry on the Burgman.

Mike,

Gateway Blvd is where i used to have a lot of morning meetings for work before the Virus started, so i am very familiar with Riding routes along that area. I would love to join you on your routine rides, day or night, if i am not working that day what better than to go for a Breeze ride.

When i went up to NY both times, luckily i didn't have anything health wise to worry about. My nightly stay over spots are Quality Inns. I find there are never any big gatherings, easy check in and outs, places to eat nearby within walking distance, safe overnight parking, etc.

Day 1, i left Lake Worth at 7 am, stopped for lunch at a Burger King in Georgia, then stayed overnight at a Quality Inn in Fayetteville, NC just off of 1-95. Day 2, left Fayetteville, NC at 8 am, stopped for lunch on the NJ Turnpike, and arrived in Long Island around dinner time. I used an Airhawk Seat Cushion the 2nd time, but didn't like it, so now i just rely on the already comfortable Burgman 650 stock seat. Other than that, i didn't have any saddlebags, cases, nothing....i fit all i could under my seat, put my jacket and Shoei helmet on, and hit the road.

Before i leave for Mt. Rushmore this time around, i will be getting a Back case, and 2 side cases installed. It will be nice to have extra space, and who knows, i could have a #2 join me at any time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Shaun,

Riding together locally sounds great. I'm a big fan of U.S. 1 and A1A. I often ride through downtown Palm Beach in the early evening and continue north as far as it feels good. Also like roads way out west, Lyons or 441, as they get more rural as you go north.

Thanks for the info on your travel itinerary to New York. Given that we'd be starting out less than five miles apart and both ending up in New York, I was thinking maybe we could do one of those trips. I always prefer long distances with a companion/s vs. alone. Not sure I could keep up, though. I can ride from here to Jacksonville in a day but you rode there AND through Georgia AND through South Carolina AND one-third of the way through North Carolina. You're a freaking beast, man ;o)

I am more of a meanderer. I can take an hour of interstate and it gets too intense; I need a break. Usually I'll hop on an adjacent road, like U.S. 1 for an hour, then back on I-95 or whatever highway I'm following. You would likely leave me in the proverbial dust.

Quality Inn is a good choice. I use that for business trips a lot. Always reliable, always a good price, always a room available.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shaun,

Riding together locally sounds great. I'm a big fan of U.S. 1 and A1A. I often ride through downtown Palm Beach in the early evening and continue north as far as it feels good. Also like roads way out west, Lyons or 441, as they get more rural as you go north.

Thanks for the info on your travel itinerary to New York. Given that we'd be starting out less than five miles apart and both ending up in New York, I was thinking maybe we could do one of those trips. I always prefer long distances with a companion/s vs. alone. Not sure I could keep up, though. I can ride from here to Jacksonville in a day but you rode there AND through Georgia AND through South Carolina AND one-third of the way through North Carolina. You're a freaking beast, man ;o)

I am more of a meanderer. I can take an hour of interstate and it gets too intense; I need a break. Usually I'll hop on an adjacent road, like U.S. 1 for an hour, then back on I-95 or whatever highway I'm following. You would likely leave me in the proverbial dust.

Quality Inn is a good choice. I use that for business trips a lot. Always reliable, always a good price, always a room available.

Mike,

Let's get together soon and hit the local roads together.

Regarding my Roadtrips, the 1st and 2nd time i went up to NY, i had so much adrenaline pumping, so doing 650 miles +/day was no problem....but from now on, every time i hit the road, i do plan on hitting a Quality Inn and taking a 1 days' full rest prior to getting back on the road the following day.

I would greatly appreciate a Roadtrip partner, if i have to limit the daily mileage to 300-350 miles to accommodate your Riding style, that's no problem.

September 2021 i am planning to Ride to the Maine/Canadian Border.....following the Coast all the way up. There is a town in Maine called Grand Isle, it's the last town in the Northeast USA until you hit Canada, i was planning on spending a couple nights there, and then making my way back down.....maybe even hit the Niagra Falls along the way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts