Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I certainly considered the BMW, as 2 of my last 3 bikes were BMW's. Just sitting on it, the BMW was not as comfortable to me. Taller and the seat shape was poor (IMO). Reading every review I could find sealed the deal. The Burgman seemed universally rated as a smoother engine and better highway machine. BMW still had some teething issues with the first years (fuel door) and my BMW's all required more warranty service than my past Japanese-brand bikes. I understand the BMW might handle better when pushed hard in the twisties but I chose a scooter for high-speed commuting and lane sharing through So Cal traffic. Push button mirror folding is a huge bonus I use almost every time I ride.

·
Registered
68 Posts
One word: operating cost. Would bet that regular service on the Beemer will be significantly more than the burgie.

Good advice to buy a used 400/650 to try. Then you save $$ while you learn the fine points of riding and not worry too much about the usual dings of learning to rude. And the get the nice Beemer after it has been out a while.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Beemer has a very tall seat height. As a newbie that matters if you are a shorter person when you come to a stop. I personally wouldn't be concerned about the maintenance costs of the BMW - it's a Kymco. And it's not like the Burgmans have proven to be cheap to maintain if a belt or the transmission goes. Buy what you like. As a newbie you may be looking at a sport tourer or a dual sport in a year.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I personally wouldn't be concerned about the maintenance costs of the BMW - it's a Kymco.
Kymco makes the engine to BMW specs and BMW builds the bike in Germany.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
86 Posts
Latest consumer report states that BMW bikes are the ones with the most problems followed by Harleys. The same article praises Japanese bike reliability. BMW CT650 being new in the market complicates the issue even further. Definitely BMW will cost you a lot more to maintain too. Choice is yours :)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Latest consumer report states that BMW bikes are the ones with the most problems followed by Harleys. The same article praises Japanese bike reliability. BMW CT650 being new in the market complicates the issue even further. Definitely BMW will cost you a lot more to maintain too. Choice is yours :)
Me see that also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am a relative new rider as well as I have only been riding for two years. My first year was on a Honda Reflex (250cc) which was a great bike to learn on and to get comfortable. It was also great because it wasn't too expensive in case I discovered riding wasn't for me, and it held its value really well when I sold it to purchase my 400. My '08 Burgman 400 was a great next step. It has more weight which makes it more stable on windy days and much better power than the Honda Reflex. Maybe in a few years I will graduate to the 650, but to be honest, I am really happy with the 400 right now and plan to keep it for a while unless I decide to start taking some longer trips/touring which is where the 650 seems to excel. I considered many scooters before my purchase and did much research on customer satisfaction, reliability, and maintenance cost as these were very important factors in my decision. Good luck with your decision. I am sure the BMW is a great scooter too, and I am guessing that you will know which one is right for you after the test ride, but I would suggest giving the 400 a test ride too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Beemer...

Now I ride the Beemer for 4 weeks, and of course I don´t regret it!
Its not perfect (hard to read dash, very loud engine, small and jiggling mirrors), but it is great to ride. It feels like a TMax with the power of the big burg´. That´s all I want for years. (In comparism to the BMW, riding the big burg feels like riding an old school bus!)

Last year I saw for the first time a new burg (L3) and the BMW parking side by side. I found, I like the look of the BMW much much better.

The reason for buying it was not the German brand. My last German vehicle (a 17 Year old Mercedes S-Class) I scrapped in 1994! Until now I only bought foreign vehicles (even a Cadillac and a real* Chevrolet, what is very unique in Germany. And until now, I even did´nt have owned one single Volkswagen...) All my bikes of course were japanese ones.

*(not e rebadget Deawoo, Opel, Vauxhall, Holden, Isuzu, Suzuki...)

Why would you buy a scooter that required premium gas and had no performance advantage? (BMW).
The BMW performs a little bit better than the burg. And in Germany there is no regular fuel to buy anymore. (Only "Super" 95ROZ; "Super Plus" 98ROZ and Diesel).

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Now I ride the Beemer for 4 weeks, and of course I don´t regret it!
Its not perfect (hard to read dash, very loud engine, small and jiggling mirrors), but it is great to ride. It feels like a TMax with the power of the big burg´. That´s all I want for years. (In comparism to the BMW, riding the big burg feels like riding an old school bus!)

Last year I saw for the first time a new burg (L3) and the BMW parking side by side. I found, I like the look of the BMW much much better.

The reason for buying it was not the German brand. My last German vehicle (a 17 Year old Mercedes S-Class) I scrapped in 1994! Until now I only bought foreign vehicles (even a Cadillac and a real* Chevrolet, what is very unique in Germany. And until now, I even did´nt have owned one single Volkswagen...) All my bikes of course were japanese ones.

*(not e rebadget Deawoo, Opel, Vauxhall, Holden, Isuzu, Suzuki...)

The BMW performs a little bit better than the burg. And in Germany there is no regular fuel to buy anymore. (Only "Super" 95ROZ; "Super Plus" 98ROZ and Diesel).
Ah, ha, ha, ha ! Why am I not surprise, '' an old school bus'', got to pass several new school bus today, my 650 Burgie did not feel old at all, quite the contrary !! ;)

Achtung ! Me not much in to Chinese crap, try to avoid these product like plague, which why will not ever consider BMW 600 - 650 etc.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The old school bus comparison is amusing really. Try again and harder, dude

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've owned 5 BMW bikes and a couple of Kymcos. The 500cc Kymco Scooter I owned a few years ago was far more reliable than the BMWs I've owned, one of which burned to the ground. The BMWs I own now needed a few upgrades when I bought them like replacing the brake lines, replacing all the in tank fuel lines which degrade and burst, replacing clutches that eat their splines, and my favorite, replacing the crappy plastic fuel quick disconnects that crack and leak fuel with after market metal ones. I do like the two BMWs I currently own as they have certain features not found on other bikes, but I wouldn't call them cheap to own or reliable. Last year one fell over in my garage. It cost $3300 to replace all the damaged parts and one body panel alone cost $1067.00. When I had the Kymco scooter it fell over twice, both times damaging the big painted front nose piece. It cost just $90.00 from the dealer.

I've own a big Kymco MXU500 4X4 ATV for 5 years now. It has been stone axe reliable from day one just like the Kymco scooter was. As far as I'm concerned having Kymco build these big scooter engines for BMW is a plus not a minus. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well there is a 3rd option in the Maxi scooters market. Kymco now has the My Road 700. Kymco manufacturer the Engine and transmission on the BMW 650, They are the same power train. I have risen all 3 Here is the verdict. Kymco I find overpriced the only option is the suspension is electronic adjustable. Seat and windshield not adjustable sits high like the BMW. storage is poor, no lockable glove box.
BMW made some nice refinements to the bike and looks great but if you purchase a Maxi Scooter I drive a Maxi-Scooter because I look for ease of maneuverability and com for for long drives, plenty of storage for helmet, rain gear. After you do your homework you will come to one conclusion The Burgman. I just got a 2013 650 not only a great deal but 0.0% finance. After 650 miles on it I;m averaging 55MPG already so that is great for this power house. The only weak link is the Windshield but it seems to be the weak link on zoo others also. So after I replace the windshield I will be complete. One other factor to consider, This is first year for the Kymco 700, First Scooter for BMW and they don't even make the power train.2014 makes !! Years for the Burgman. After a decade of experience making the same model bike I believe they have a major edge on the competition. This is my observations.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well there is a 3rd option in the Maxi scooters market. Kymco now has the My Road 700. Kymco manufacturer the Engine and transmission on the BMW 650, They are the same power train. I have risen all 3 Here is the verdict. ....
It's not the same engine:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/29061/Buyers-Guide-Specifications/2014-Kymco-MyRoad-700i.aspx
Bore & Stroke: 76.9 mm x 75.3 mm 699.5cc

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/27715/Buyers-Guide-Specifications/2013-BMW-C-650-GT.aspx

Bore & Stroke: 79 mm x 66 mm 647cc

But both have a 100% mechanical CVT like a 50cc moped

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not only bore and stroke are different between BMW and Kymco. The Kymco has a swinging variomatic (like the Silver Wing / SW 400/600 T) and the BMW has it into the housing of the engine (like Burg 650 or TMax) and an additional chain to the rear wheel (like the TMax I and II).
However, to be made by Kymco is not a shame.
In my opinion, it is a shame, that Suzuki did´nt change the CVT-Belt issue for the L3.
At least, (if there´s not enough money to change the design), Suzuki should instruct, the CVT has to be dissassembled and checked, and the belt has to be replaced at about 40.000mls.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kymco builds a great product, the shame of it is that the bmw is the highest priced and they did not engineer there own product into the mix, but bmw does this all the time, like the gm transmissions in some of there cars instead of the zf. Kymco is very popular in Asia to bad they early on got thrown into the mix with the Chinese scooters. they are in a class with the burgman and hondas and now bmw

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am in the process of replacing my 07 burgman 650 with 30,000 miles with a newer model. One of the bikes I tested was the BMW 650Gt scooter. My first impressions of the BMW was "WOW!" The BMW does sit higher than the Burgman and I must say the BMW looks very impressive, almost like a true motorcycle. The Burgman has been around for a long time and I must say almost "bullet" proof. The BMW might turn out to be very reliable but if you read comments on the BMW scooter forum you will find that many BMW owners are having problems with the scoot.
One of the comments on the BMW forum was that the CVT of the Burgman might fail around 50,000 or 60,000 miles and cost the owner close to $3000 to fix. Well, in truth, the BMW will need to drive belts and two transmission chains replaced in the same distance, costing much more than the $3000. Actually some Burgman owners get close to 80,000 miles on the CVT while a few Burgman owners might experience a failure at 30,000 miles. This is not the norm.
I loved the BMW but considering it all, I am staying with the Burgman!!! I think it is much more reliable than the BMW. By the way, my last big bike was a BMW boxer! Consumer reports rate BMW now even lower than the Harley which used to be in last place of the big five - Yamaha, Kawasaiki, Honda, Harley, and now BMW.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
29 Posts
... shame...bmw is the highest priced and they did not engineer there own product. ?.like the gm transmissions in some of there cars instead of the zf.
In Germany sometimes the TMax is more expensive than the BMW GT.
Of course the engine (and the vehicle) of the BMWs were engineered by BMW itself. Kymco is only assembling the engine.
Using others components is useful for a long time. In Germany we have Opel cars (GM) with Diesel engines by BMW.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
In Germany we have Opel cars (GM) with Diesel engines by BMW.
It's also known how people interpret Opel - Offizieller Pfusch Eines Lehrlings, oder Ost-Polnisches Ersatzteil-Lager. There's one international saying, "Every car eventually becomes an Opel."

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've owned 2 GM cars. I'd never own another one.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts