Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is the Burgman forum, but I haven't purchased anything yet. I'm getting my license this weekend and I've been looking at the Burgmand and BMW models. They both look great and are around the same price for a 2013 new model. I plan to test ride them after I get my license.

So how does the Burgman ride? Has anyone taken the BMW for a spin?

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have recently ridden both (well the sport not the GT) with out a shadow of a doubt I would buy the Burgman over the BMW. Why, the BMW is faster and handles better and is probably dynamically a better bike but as we all know that is not what riding a powered two wheeler is all about. Probably the best way I can express it is that the Burgman would make me sing to myself inside my helmet the BMW would never have that affect in a 1,000 years and that is the crux of the matter. you can study spec sheets and to some extent road tests till the cows come home and never make the right choice for you. To achieve true Two Wheeled Nirvana buy with your heart and not your head and that means you must ride them for as long as possible before deciding, it is subjective and very personal. For me it's the Burgman in a heartbeat, but that's just me.

Geoff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like the looks of the BMW more and it fits me better. From what I have read, the performance differences between the two are minimal and as you mentioned the purchase price is similar. I would still get a new 650 Burgy as it's been around awhile and hopefully the bugs are all getting worked out, with the BMW there have been problems and maintenance can be costly. The other thing to look at is resale, as the used Maxi scooter market in the USA is great for buyers and not for sellers, unfortunately the BMW scooter has not been around long enough to know if it'll hold value more than the Burgman.

You have lots of options so enjoy the shopping!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
this review of both scooters for motorlive french team, could help you decide:

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you new to two wheels, you should buy a used 400 or 650 Burgman to learn on and to see if riding on two wheels is for you. If you are new, you're going to drop your bike a few times as you learn and it hurts a lot more when you scratch up a new machine than if you drop a previously dropped one. There are a lot of very low mileage scooters and motorcycles around being sold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have recently ridden both (well the sport not the GT) with out a shadow of a doubt I would buy the Burgman over the BMW. Why, the BMW is faster and handles better and is probably dynamically a better bike but as we all know that is not what riding a powered two wheeler is all about. Probably the best way I can express it is that the Burgman would make me sing to myself inside my helmet the BMW would never have that affect in a 1,000 years and that is the crux of the matter. you can study spec sheets and to some extent road tests till the cows come home and never make the right choice for you. To achieve true Two Wheeled Nirvana buy with your heart and not your head and that means you must ride them for as long as possible before deciding, it is subjective and very personal. For me it's the Burgman in a heartbeat, but that's just me.

Geoff.
Thanks for the input. I will be test riding next weekend. Looking forward to the rides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you new to two wheels, you should buy a used 400 or 650 Burgman to learn on and to see if riding on two wheels is for you. If you are new, you're going to drop your bike a few times as you learn and it hurts a lot more when you scratch up a new machine than if you drop a previously dropped one. There are a lot of very low mileage scooters and motorcycles around being sold.
Very good advice! Thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts
I considered both..decided on teh Burgman because of the extensive after market choices.. It's been around a lot longer so there are many more options and also a lot more experience with how it is put together..

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've ridden both and while I COULD get along with a GT650 it's way too new to buy until some kinks are worked out.

I have my doubts the GT650 could stick with the Burgman in the twists but would top it in top end and has better suspension.

I think a Burgman 400 is more suitable to the beginning rider.
Both 650s are big powerful machines and can get you in a heap of trouble very quickly.

IF you are on the tall side and strong then the heft may not bother you.

There are many good deals out there on 650s with super low mileage ( including my own deal on an exec ) who were new riders and got themselves in over their heads.

In 45 years of riding an myriad bikes the two 650 Burgman's I've owned ( 70k km between them ) - they are the best all around bikes I've had.

I just did the 45,000 km service on the 2009 Exec. $250 covered all fluids and service. Not one other thing wrong.

Needed a new battery after 4 years - aside from that oil changes and tires. That's it.

I doubt BMW service costs will be that low.

This is the review that hooked me on the category

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

I bought the Silverwing first but moved to a whole new world with the Burgman 650 and it's performance in the twists was a huge eye opener and the race rider in that review on VFR800 stated there was no losing the 650.
The Burgman is better than I am as a rider and I always feel it's

a) safe ( took on a deer and rider kept it upright and rode it home < former member here - I have his seat :D )

b) reliable ( has always started except for one unexplained issue that seems to happen once in a very great while - we are still discussing it ) even in mid winter and after sitting months

c) it's bloody fun

I do feel the 2013 is overpriced in this economic climate and really think a 400 is a better start point for a new rider.

But for the category.....the Burgman 650 Exec is a proven performer with a lot of value and can take you grocery shopping, across the continent or blister the twisties yet so sedate and effortless in traffic.
Not many rides can cover those bases.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I follow the chatter on the BMWMOA forum about the new 650GT/650.
From what I read it sounds like most are pleased with their purchase so far. There are reports of recalls and some reliability problems, nothing serious as far as I can tell.
Like all manufacturers first year machine have teething problems, I think BMW has a winner with their offering in the maxi scooter class.
I would wait until the next years model comes out and see what they change or improve on before I would buy one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hope and think, the BMW is not that horrible, like written obout here.
I´v decided one to be my next scooter after almost 10 years riding a 650 K3.
So my activity here will be less in the future.
Thanks to all and bye bye!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Your post per day value is now 0.02 worth, which is known to be the best value in advices. I'd recommend keeping it at least at that level. :D As a German you prob know BMW is good, and Kymco a bit different thing.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've ridden both and could live with the 650GT but it's early yet and the only significant difference is the suspension.

I suspect the GT has a bit higher top end but lack of the sport mode ( Power button ) is a downer - still it's a decent ride.

For equal price I think you get more from a Burgman but really neither is a beginner bike for someone that has never ridden.
I got my Exec for half price from a newbie that got in over his head and many others will tell you the same.
They are powerful and heavy bikes and with a skilled rider are a terror in the twisties and for the rest of us a whole lot of fun on the same plus you can commute, go grocery shopping or go across the country. I've put 1,000 km days on mine going up to the James Bay Hydro project and one guy in Australia put 1200 and 1300 km days in on his loop of the continent.
But I'd not get started riding on one.
It's the best all around bike I've owned in 45 years of riding and is bulletproof reliable.
It's actually a compliment to the Burgman 650 how much the GT650 is a close copy.

I'd snag a used 400 and get your feet wet for a bit.

Would help if we knew where you are riding and your height.

·
Banned
78 Posts
The electronically controlled CVT of the 650 Burgman is the unique feature that sets it apart from the rest.

Because of that, it will be the Burgman or nothing for me until someone produces a maxi scooter with an equal or better transmission system.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I hope and think, the BMW is not that horrible, like written obout here.
I´v decided one to be my next scooter after almost 10 years riding a 650 K3.
Thanks to all and bye bye!

Quite normal a German purchase a German badge product even if mix Chinese Kymco/BMW.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts