Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a scooter and have not yet been to our honda/suzuki dealer, can anyone give me input on what I should purchase or which one I would be more satisfied with. The 3 I want to look at is the Burgman 650, Burgman 400 and the Honda Silverwing. Which is the best and why??? Thanks

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :) You'd be better off doing some reading first before asking such broad questions. There are lots and lots of threads here about 650 vs. 400 vs. Silverwing, so a lot has already been written that you should read first. Also, we have no idea what kind of scooter you're looking for, what your riding style is, etc., so it's hard to give advice. You'll have to narrow your questions down a bit. Everyone has their own idea of which scooter is 'best.'

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA. This has often been discussed on the forums. Try the "Search" function and you should find lots of input. It is difficult to answer your question because you don't give enough information. What is your intended usage, your size, previous riding experience, etc.? All of that and more can be significant to your best choice.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
mrlansi said:
Which is the best and why??? Thanks
The 400 is best because it's less expensive and gets better mileage than either of the other two.

The Silverwing is best because it's a bit lighter than the Burgman 650, and that will make it easier to push when it breaks down.

The 650 is best. It has more power than either of the others. It has more advanced features than the others. It's the king of all scooters at the moment. Get a silver one and you can call it a SilverKing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The question should be which is best for you. The SilverWing is between the Burgman 400 and 650 in terms of displacement, power, seat height and weight. Like the 650 it's a twin, but it doesn't have the electronically controlled contantly variable transmission - it has one like the 400. The SilverWing has 45 liter storage - the Burgmans both have 55.

I would grossly oversimplify it as the SilverWing is basically a twin, 600cc version of the Burgman 400. The seat height an weight are almost that of the Burgman 650, but the body more resembles the 400.

For solo riding the 400 is a very good buy, and gets the best gas mileage. For tandem riding you may want one of the twins. The Suzuki has the most advanced transmission - but if you're a Honda fan then the SilverWing might be what you'd be happiest with. They're all good rides though - so even just picking your bike because of the colors available would be justifiable.

I own a Burgman 650, and my wife owns a 400. I highly recommend either one. You should also check out the Yamaha Majesty, and the Aprilia Atlantic 500. Try to get to see them in person, and to sit on them. Then buy whichever you want - for whatever reason you want. :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Burgman 650 - smooth, big, powerful, and the brakes work. As it is right now, the "hairy back" of super scooters. (i have my nitpix but...)

Burgman 400 - smooth, puposeful, plenty fast, 'prolly good money spent.

Silverwing - honda-esque thingie, middle of the road - good brakes - that could be argued. Has two cylinders and the name.

Majesty? - a bit more stylized than the zuki 400, but, imho, not as much value nor presence on the road now that ive seen a maj tooling down the road.

Like many have said - go sit - and feel - try to garner up the sitting-there-in-the-dealership "karma" and select the one that is right for you.

pedz oh2.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Robert said:
The SilverWing has 45 liter storage - the Burgmans both have 55.
The Honda Canada web site states 55 liters under seat storage for the Silverwing as well.

And just as a side note (you Burgman owners already know this) 55 liters is HUGE! I was just looking at my 66 liter cooler and even with 10% less volume that's a lot of space!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I find the 650's trunk very spacious. But there are two kinds of volumes. One is usable volume. The other is unusable volume. Since the 650's entire seat opens up over the trunk it is rather easy to access the space. I usually slide my helmet in the back of it, then whatever else goes in the rest of the space. Some scooters only open up half the seat to get to the trunk. This leaves a deep area under the pinion seat that is hard to get to, and as such less usable.

For those that get confused (like me), 55 liters is 14.5ish GALLONS. Imagine a gallon of milk. Then picture fitting 14 of them in the 650's trunk. I can picture two in the rear, and maybe four or six up front. That tells you there is alot of space not "easy" to fit a gallon into. It will all depend on what you're storing and how it is packed. There is considerable space "up" in the cavity of the seat underside, but to fill it you have to pack the trunk higher than it's apparent rim. I've considered attaching a small cargo net from an old suitcase to the underside of the seat just to think I'm using that space more effectively.

Does this help you decide? If you're planning on any trips where that storage will be needed, then I'd take a long critical look at each of your options's trunks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Robert said:
The SilverWing has 45 liter storage - the Burgmans both have 55.
Silverwing's got 55 liters of underseat storage according to the Honda Japan website.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Nice photo of the silverwing trunk. Notice that you have to take the ignition key and stick it in the side to open that trunk. I LOVE the simplicity of just pressing the burgman's key in a bit and turning it. I've got the trunk unlocked two seconds after shutting off the bike, before I've removed the key from the ignition. It's a small thing, but I find it very user-friendly.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I stand corrected on the 45 liter Silverwing trunk.

Note in the picture they show a full face and a 3/4 helmet. In the Burgman 650 trunk you can fit 2 full face helmets. I'm not sure - but I don't think both mine an my wifes's full face helmets (XL and L Shoei's) fit in her Burgman 400 trunk.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The answer will differ between riders. It will depend on YOU which is better. Your size, riding style, riding demands, riding experience and many other variables. For ME I was split between a 650 and 400. I chose a 400 because of cost reasons and since I'm getting back into riding I decided a 400 would be more logical. Given the slow depreciation of the Burgmans I will still have the opportunity to upgrade later (should I make that decision). Meanwhile, the higher MPG and lower insurance cost will fit ME quite well.
Test drive them all (if you can) and decide what YOU NEED and then what you WANT.
Just remember, what is right for one person is not necessarily right for another! Be HAPPY with whatever you decide and ride safe! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts