Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now done 1500 miles on my 650 Burgman (Bought from new) and I am more than happy :) except for a small problem, once in a blue moon (read very rare) when accelerating it misfires & splutters as if it is running out of petrol, which it is'nt.
I am worried it will become terminal, and I have a 250 mile trip coming up.
Only thing I can think of, is to take it for a long blast to 'clear it out' because I do 12 miles a day commuting, but I don't spare the horses! :lol:

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Most of that thread discusses backfire on decelleration, which is not that unusual. Andy describes his problem as a misfire on acceleration, which is definitely not normal. It could be bad gas, though, which was mentioned as a cause of surging and poor accelleration in part of that thread.

I'd try gas from another source, and possibly run a bit of FI cleaner through in one tank. If that doesn't clear it up I think a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I get the odd back fire when I slow down. It only happens every now and then and I have no idea as to why and there is nothing that I have changed either, not even the brand of gas (Shell regular 87).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for being so vague, the misfire happens when accelerating out of a corner, I fill it up from different Petrol stations all the time, and it still happens, so I don't think it is a case of 'Bad Gas'
As I said it only happens very rarely, last time was about 3 days ago, accelerating out of a corner it spluttered / misfired just for a few seconds and then was fine again.
I know of the misifre on the overrun, mine does it, that is just the PAIR system, I had a SV1000 where owners disconnect the PAIR system and it makes the bike run a lot better, any one tried doing it on a Burgman 650?

Andy

·
Registered
135 Posts
the only solutions i can think of is to check the gap in your spark plugs, get the dealer code tool to make sure all electronics are functioning correctly, you also might want to check the throttle body settings and sync, or check for any cracked or loose vacuum hoses or air duct.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Overfill

An over filled gas tank will flood the charcole canister. When
the engine is running, it will pull gas up in the to intake, richening
the engine. Mis fire can happen.

craig

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Normsthename said:
...I had a SV1000 where owners disconnect the PAIR system and it makes the bike run a lot better, any one tried doing it on a Burgman 650?
In my neck o' the woods that would be illegal. No modifying of emission control devices.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this sounds crazy, but I think I have isolated the misfire to left hand corners!
When I slow down and go around a left hand corner accelerating out of the corner the misfire occurs, does not do it on right hand corners!

Good job I live in the UK with right handed roundabouts! :lol:

Andy

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Normsthename said:
I know this sounds crazy, but I think I have isolated the misfire to left hand corners!
When I slow down and go around a left hand corner accelerating out of the corner the misfire occurs, does not do it on right hand corners!

Good job I live in the UK with right handed roundabouts! :lol:

Andy
Andy

Well if that is true it is going to be a reet bugger to find. I reckon you have a dodgy electrical connection 'somewhere'. The 'path' is only opening when the left hand cornering forces come into play.

A process of elimination is needed. How about identifying which is the longest unclipped wire (start with HT) side both coil and to the plugs, whip em off clean and replace and maybe introduce extra clipping to support.

Check ECU and associated plugs well seated too.

I do not envy you in tracking that one down! :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Reminds me of a loose electrical wire problem I had on my BMW 650. It would occasionally strand me - the bike would not start or run for a half hour or so. I took it to the dealer twice - they found nothing. When I took it back the third time I rather heatedly insisted that they find the problem. Their mechanic took it for a ride, and it stranded him about 20 minutes away from the dealership. :thumbleft: That provided him with enough incentive to locate and fix the problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts