Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ONLY time I've seen the level drop between oil changes is after long stretches near the top end speed of the bike for sustained runs.

It will start the oil level light coming on for a bit at start and then stay on if I keep the high speeds up ( 1,000 km day slab riding ).

Both the 2005 and the 2009 behave the same.

Anyone have any insight into this? Similar behavior?

I use synthetic and tend to go longer between changes.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I took a lot of long trips while putting an average of 700 miles per day on my Burgman 650 over 3 years.
While on those trips, some oil would migrate to the transmission and other amounts of oil "disappeared" causing me to add small amounts of oil during the trip.
In total, I never had to add more than 1/2 a quart to maintain the proper oil level between oil changes.
It seemed that the faster and longer I rode, the more the oil would "leave" the motor.

I always packed a quart of oil for any long trip.

I used Mobil 1 motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup exactly the same - never seems to drop on local riding - even hard in the twists.
Just seems on the long stretches at high speeds.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Wasent there a seal issue on pre 2007 models? Mind is a 2007 and never uses a drop on super slab.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had a 08 400 and currently have a 09 650 and the oil level never varied on either of them. It confirmed what the prior owners told me.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sustained runs at near top speed?
How many miles on the 650 -

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
My 08 that I cruse at 70+ MPH uses about 1/2 quart in 3600 miles.

My 03 never used any between oil changes, but did migrate about 1/4 quart to the transmission sump in 5000 mile oil changes. What overflowed was almost exacly what was low on the engine.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting - is there any negatives on this overflow?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
sustained runs at near top speed?
How many miles on the 650 -
I seldom exceed 75 and the 400 had 14,000 and the 650 has 15,000.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My usage has only come when in the 90-95 mph range with no lower than 80-85 for long periods.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
interesting - is there any negatives on this overflow?
It gives a noticeable amount of drag at higher speeds, causing a lower top speed.

As others have said, the migration takes place at high RPM's, and since I did my SpeedoHealer CVT mod to bring the RPM's down, the migration is negligible.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I don't ride at high speeds & needed to add oil to mine a few weeks back. Changed engine & trans oil this weekend & found 500 mil. in trans when I drained it. Looks like that's were mine is going. What I don't understand is trans oil came out very clear not the dirty look of the engine. If the engine oil is going into the trans why wasn't it dark when I drained it. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have had oil usage on every 650 I owned. I normally run 70mph on the freeway. I have noticed the usage to be regardless of high-speed freeway or in town. In town usage was considerably less. On my 2500 mile trek earlier this year on my 07 with 34,000 miles, I used about a quart. I did pull a trailer and it was weighed down pretty heavy. I also kept up with traffic. I tried not to speed but that did not work out so well.
My new 08 has had a little usage. During the first 3000 miles I had to add about 1/2 quart. I am currently using a synthetic oil from the dealer.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have had oil usage on every 650 I owned. I normally run 70mph on the freeway. I have noticed the usage to be regardless of high-speed freeway or in town. In town usage was considerably less. On my 2500 mile trek earlier this year on my 07 with 34,000 miles, I used about a quart...
+1 Similar usage.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah very similar to my observations.
Do people think this is generally migration as opposed to engine usage ( valve/rings )?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd guess it's more likely migration, based on the colour the exhaust outlet pipe shows... always a base bench/litmus test for how things are running internally and near the top end. Though removing and looking at the colour of the spark plug electrodes and doing compression test would tell one more...

·
Registered
68 Posts
A quart of oil in 2500 to 3000 miles would probably not show up on the plugs or exhaust. It just isn't that much.

Usage is also going to depend on how the motor was broken in. If it was broke in gently per mfg recommendations the rings won't be seated well and it's going to have more blow-by and oil usage than if it was broken in during the first 100 miles under heavy acceleration and deceleration forcing the rings to seat perfectly.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
A quart of oil in 2500 to 3000 miles would probably not show up on the plugs or exhaust. It just isn't that much.
The funny part about this statement is that this past January, we did a complete service on my previous 650. We changed the anti-freeze and the plugs. I had used a bit of oil since I pulled the trailer for a majority of the 15,000 miles I put on it. The plugs needed to be cleaned but still appeared in good condition. I thought they would have been fouled by 33k miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts