Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is considering buying a Burgman650 but is put off by the quoted price of the CVT belt (ie. four times the price of the T Max belt). Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of teh mileage to expect from the CVTbelt on the Burgman 650? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Paul!

As to date no one here has had to replace there belt. I have seen official Suzuki releases claiming the belt is good for the life of the bike, how ever long that is. The Burgman 650 has been out since 2002 and I have not found anything on the web related to replacing the CVT or failure of the CVT.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello, similar for me!
Personally my AN650 belt is 31500 km (20 000 Mi) old and does not present symptoms of ageing tire.
Today in France, nobody never replaced his.
A few times ago (3 months, 17000 Mi) after having rolled 3 hours under a tornado of rain, the belt emitted an enormous noise of foghorn. But since, all is again normal. (Water introduces by the grid of air filter of the CVT ... Breton rain - (weather french brittany :wink: )).
For information, I changed the belt of X9-500 Piaggio every 12 000 km (7 500 Mi).
Pirmil
not anxious? ...
sorry my english

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info regarding the CVT belt life. Just for info, the price quoted locally (Australia) for a new Burgman 650 belt is $AUS700 - $800 compared to a T Max belt of $AUS200.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone written to Suzuki to get a straight answer as to how long the CVT belt will hold up? I like the answer they give: it should last as long as the bike does. Well how long is that supposed to be???? I'd hate to have the belt snap while heading down the road. Had a snow mobile belt snap on me once. Not fun.

·
Registered
152 Posts
pirmil said:
Hello, similar for me!
Personally my AN650 belt is 31500 km (20 000 Mi) old and does not present symptoms of ageing tire.
Today in France, nobody never replaced his.
A few times ago (3 months, 17000 Mi) after having rolled 3 hours under a tornado of rain, the belt emitted an enormous noise of foghorn. But since, all is again normal. (Water introduces by the grid of air filter of the CVT ... Breton rain - (weather french brittany :wink: )).
For information, I changed the belt of X9-500 Piaggio every 12 000 km (7 500 Mi).
Pirmil
not anxious? ...
sorry my english
ERROR :cry:
follow -> post 1292
... Suzuki Europe, it was decided to replace all elements of box CVT (belt, pulley, bearing, servo). ... 20 000 Mi (32000 km)

pirmil... "for each day its sorrow suffices!" (translate :? ???)[/url]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Transmission belt

I hope this doesn't mean the life of the Burgman belt is around 20,000 miles because here in Canada, it would make the Burgman 650 a ridiculously expensive bike to maintain. :(

I understand the belt is guaranteed for life in Europe but again not in North America.

I hope someone will destroy my comment otherwise this is very depressing. :?

·
Registered
6 Posts
paulmcd said:
A friend of mine is considering buying a Burgman650 but is put off by the quoted price of the CVT belt (ie. four times the price of the T Max belt). Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of teh mileage to expect from the CVTbelt on the Burgman 650? Any advice would be appreciated.
I would be interested in that info seeing as that could be a major repair issue. Is it possible to do it yourself? Anyone have an estimate of the engine life in general?

·
Registered
793 Posts
When I owned a 650 a few months ago, I priced the CVT belt
locally and was quoted $412 US retail.
The AN650's service manual describes a very clean environment
required for an exposed CVT casing and belt.

The AN650 owners booklet states that the life expectancy of the
bike is less than 19,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ajwood said:
I do not find this statement in my AN650 owners booklet. I could not find any projection on belt life in the Service manual either. It simply says to inspect the belt for cracks or uneven wear - but it does not specify any interval for doing that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I guess we really need an answer directly from Suzuki on this issue. Pirmil seems to be saying no one in europe has had to replace a belt, but then he seems also to be saying something in contradiction.

There must be more accurate information somewhere. I'm not faulting Pirmil here, but if you had to replace the belt at 20K miles at a cost of $412, I doubt Suzuki would be able to sell an AN650 to anyone.

And, if that were the case, whatever fuel economy you would have gained during the 20K would be nullified by the belt replacement expense. In other words, it would cost you $103 dollars in belt replacement cost for each 5,000 miles of driving. With that kind of money you could have bought about 50 gallons of gas.

Perhaps allwood, who has a close relationship with Suzuki Canada, can do some investigating for us. It just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ajwood said:
No wonder the belt is good for the life time of the scooter!!! :!:

Isn't 19,000 a bit low??? It wouldn't last me 2yrs!!! :(

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
The only reference to "usefull life" I found on page 71 of the manual referes to emission control warranty, 18,641 miles (30,000 KM)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Unless someone can point me to a page in a Suzuki manual that actually states that the belt has a life of less than 19000 miles, I've got to consider it as bogus information - possibly confused with the emissions warranty expiration that Jim found.

As Ted stated, it would be nice to get an answer on this from Suzuki, but I think that will be difficult. The couple of belt failures that have happened so far, are likely abnormal, and the result of a manufacturing glitch. One of them occurred at extremely low mileage.

Let's not ride this into the ground unless someone can actually come up with a page number in a Suzuki document that makes this statement. It is not fair to Suzuki, and it is not fair to prospective buyers who are perusing this forum for information.

Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
CVT Belt

I agree with you Pauljo. I tend to believe positive remarks about the Burgman and also easily rejects negative ones (so is human nature). I have only had the bike for about 5 weeks and I love it but I want to know the truth about the CVT belt. I never saw any remarks about the life of the belt or the bike in the owner's manual or the shop manual. Someone said: "Do not believe everything you see on the internet". Before we take for granted the stories about the CVT belt, let's find a way to make sure those stories are true.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with alanh. We might as well be talking about a book none of us has read.

I guy in town, who I don't know well, has 50K miles on a Honda Helix 250 (I'm not sure about the Helix part). He obviously rides it all the time. I'm sure it's got a belt in its drive train somewhere.

So I approached him the other day in the coffee shop, interrupting him as he read the Arizona Daily Star, and said, "Hi, I'm Ted White. I just looked at your scooter and I'm amazed at the mileage. Have you ever had any trouble with it?"

He surveyed me, stone-faced, for a moment. "It's a Honda," he said, and returned to his newspaper.

I suspect I won't get to know him well.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ted,

I'm not sure how I would take his reponse. Did he mean the Honda is nothing but problems or problem free? :)

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Honda used to be considered the best for quality - for decades.
...and then came the Burgman.

Reactions: Svantine360
1 - 20 of 115 Posts