Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
871 Posts
Just a note that you probably saw with your new Givi windshield. "Top speed with windshield installed 85 mph (136.8 kmh)

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
I would not admit to ever exceeding the posted speed limits but I do have it on good authority the top speed on my bike was adversely affected by having the Givi windshield installed. It is rare I would ever feel the need to go much over the typical 75-85 mph we see here in Texas on the big roads. I will tell you the amount of flex in the windshield does bother me a bit when passing trucks. I have a Windstream V on my Triumph that does not flex. I wish the Givi was a few mils thicker.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would not admit to ever exceeding the posted speed limits but I do have it on good authority the top speed on my bike was adversely affected by having the Givi windshield installed. It is rare I would ever feel the need to go much over the typical 75-85 mph we see here in Texas on the big roads. I will tell you the amount of flex in the windshield does bother me a bit when passing trucks. I have a Windstream V on my Triumph that does not flex. I wish the Givi was a few mils thicker.
When I installed my Givi DT257ST I pealed a sticker off my windshield that warned about no exceeding 85 mph. Installed it 5 weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
871 Posts
When I installed my Givi DT257ST I pealed a sticker off my windshield that warned about no exceeding 85 mph. Installed it 5 weeks ago.

I bought the Givi windshield from another member here so I can assume he must have removed the warning sticker prior to my installation of it. Just my observation but the windshield begins to flex way too much far below the 85 mph you mention. Even at normal cruise speeds when passing trucks or worse yet coming up behind a truck, it flexes enough to make me cringe a bit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the Givi windshield from another member here so I can assume he must have removed the warning sticker prior to my installation of it. Just my observation but the windshield begins to flex way too much far below the 85 mph you mention. Even at normal cruise speeds when passing trucks or worse yet coming up behind a truck, it flexes enough to make me cringe a bit.
I have heard tale of a rider with said windshield that was out playing. He said the windshield broke off at 95 mph.

·
Super Moderator
871 Posts
I have heard tale of a rider with said windshield that was out playing. He said the windshield broke off at 95 mph.

I really would not doubt that it could happen. I like the width and height of it for protection but the flex of it has me considering my options. Givi should have done better research.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really would not doubt that it could happen. I like the width and height of it for protection but the flex of it has me considering my options. Givi should have done better research.
I'm willing to bet we'll be fine if we stay 85 or under and slowly learn that that flex is engineered in. That windshield is very complex in design. Especially the bottom rolled edge that extends to both sides. It is one of the best selling shields for our bikes and this is not new of design. My thought for me, allow the engineering to work. Flex is allowed and prevents breakage.Loose the thought that it's not right or dangerous. Trucks are by their nature no fun and are very dangerous to be around. Virtually all tires on these things are retreads except the steer tires (not allowed). We see their remnants all over the roads. I get out of the way quickly to get around and gone from them all. Trucks are worrisome to me, not a flexing windshield.

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
I have had 1 GIVI shield at 115 MPH many times and one at 122 MPH and they did not snap. But the flex is more than a stock shield.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ok so got a copy of the Black Widow (black widow was unavailable everywhere in Montreal. Out of stock... what gives? ) 40 inches by 10 feet, Folding and curved so the bike/s belly does not touch the truck. Loaded it in my medium Bed Ram 2017. Sideways as you can see and the door shuts nicely with about 3 inches spare. So I can take the bike and the trailer camping.. yippee...

Tie down attached to wheels, engine frame -removed engine cover- and the two passenger hand bars. Front wheel is squeezed in the corner of the truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Jaillet look at the Black Widow brand of ramps. I have the 3 piece arched ones but they also make the single width. They have them in different lengths to accommodate the height of your truck bed, 4 wheel drives are higher. The arch eliminates the sharp angle.
Thank you, got a copy of Black widow and I am all set!

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
I ride my AN650 up and down a ramp to my trailer frequently, although the trailer is much lower to the ground than a truck bed. The actual riding isn't bad, though, and I'm glad not to have a clutch. I have three single ramps strapped side-to-side, hence I can put my feet down on each side. By controlling the throttle and both brakes, it's a cinch to modulate my speed up and down, including temporarily reversing direction if I'm not happy with the line I'm following.
Whoooo, one hand on throttle , one hand on rear brake, one hand on front brake, one hand on forward reverse shift, what do you use to scratch yer dangly bits with, I done run outta hands a while back for this trick.

Reactions: dogboy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Jaillet - You must be smarter than average. Simply because you own a RAM. 😁 I absolutely love seeing pickup trucks carrying motorcycles IN THE BED. That's what a truck was made for. And since I love motorcycles, and trucks, seeing the combo is extra enticing!

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram with a LONG BED (Cummins diesel and 6 speed). So I can put El Burgo in the bed straight front to back, and close the tailgate. It looks awesome! And so does yours.

Congrats!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Also check for pillion, sometimes excessive road noise can be caused by not enough snickers bars in pillions posession, a few good caramels and less water can help.
Pillion, just learned a new word here, Thanks Mikey

41 - 53 of 53 Posts