Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Jaillet look at the Black Widow brand of ramps. I have the 3 piece arched ones but they also make the single width. They have them in different lengths to accommodate the height of your truck bed, 4 wheel drives are higher. The arch eliminates the sharp angle.
I believe the product has been rebranded as Widow of Color. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
I ride my AN650 up and down a ramp to my trailer frequently, although the trailer is much lower to the ground than a truck bed. The actual riding isn't bad, though, and I'm glad not to have a clutch. I have three single ramps strapped side-to-side, hence I can put my feet down on each side. By controlling the throttle and both brakes, it's a cinch to modulate my speed up and down, including temporarily reversing direction if I'm not happy with the line I'm following.
On a trailer close to the ground auto would be fine but a truck you have to achieve the rpms to drive it up vs walk it up then shut rpms down real quick to stop ...with a clutch you can feather in and out.... I’m doing this all from memory .... I want to load my Burgy on a truck to save the wear and tear of getting to all the great riding areas....I hate freeway miles.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I want to load my Burgy on a truck to save the wear and tear of getting to all the great riding areas....I hate freeway miles.
Exactly the reason I bought myself an inexpensive, folding trailer. No place to keep one outdoors, but it fits nicely against the inside garage wall. I take it to Florida every year, to Scoot the Ozarks last year, and plan to take it to Northern Michigan this summer. When I take my big trip "out west" I will trailer as far as Colorado or South Dakota, and ride from there. Don't need to burn up a set of tires just getting there and back.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
dogboy,

I’ve looked at those trailers what size of tires does yours have ? And are you able to cruise at highway speeds ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
dogboy,

I’ve looked at those trailers what size of tires does yours have ? And are you able to cruise at highway speeds ?
Tires are 4.80 x 12. Trailer came with Load Range B tires which were limited to 55 MPH, so I upgraded them to Load Range C, which are capable of typical freeway speeds. The only issue I ran into was that the outside diameter of the C tires is bigger than the B tires, so they would occasionally hit the fenders on bumps. I lost two fenders that way, and messed up a tire. I finally smartened up and fabricated a different fender solution that eliminated the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
dogboy, you have put the folding trailer back on my radar with C tires ....I’ll wait to install the fenders after the C’s. A big THANKS for the heads up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
@Blacktruck Thank you for the welcome. I ordered a Givi windshield yesterday, looking forward to get it. I am also spinning my brains on how to carry the bike and trailer. In Quebec my home state, law allows you to build a train of 19 meters (62 Ft) on the road as long as it is stable and all towed wheels have brakes. So thechnically I could tow a bike trailer behind the camping trailer. As long as I don't have to back up, I should be ok... Have you seen this in the States?
I live in NY and my husband and I camp. We have a truck camper, goes in the bed of the truck, with a motorcycle trailer towing behind it with my Burgman and my husbands Kawasaki Voyager. Last year we went camping in Pennsylvania and took the bikes with us. He was a bit nervous pulling the trailer with the truck camper, but it worked out fine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Finally got the Burg after 15 days of waiting for a rendezvous at the govt license office, blame it on the pandemic. Replaced the original shield (which was impeccable for a 2011) with a big givi, already a + on ride comfort. First feeling, I find it noisy, the transmission, and maybe a knock in the engine or is it it’s natural sound. (Any history of engine knocking after 32k km ot 20k miles?) But I also find the road noisy when passing or getting passed. So I think it’s my half-helmet (Ls2) as I was used to quieter rides on my GPZ wearing a fullface.

The good news is after careful measurements, it will fit in the pickup bed in diagonal, with the panel closed, which will allow me to pin the trailer. The bad news is the low guard. 5 inches over 5 ft wheelbase. The 6 ft ramp yields a landing angle way too high. Not only will the bike´s belly drag on the top of the ramp, but the rear wheel will be lifted and I will loose all traction. Some engineering thinking required ahead for this one.

And maybe try a fullface helmet to reduce noise.
Jaillet - Good topic. I'm getting rushed so I didn't have time to see if anyone got to this. I am very knowledgeable about loading motorcycles into pick-up trucks. I would say I'm an expert, but that sounds arrogant. Here is what I suggest.
  1. If you cannot close the tailgate (seems like you're saying you can), remove the tailgate. If I were faced with putting it in sideways, I would rather just remove the tailgate and let the rear tire hangout a bit. Course … I'm assuming the contact patch of the rear tire would still be in the truck, but I'm not sure if that's true with a (sissy :D) short bed truck.
  2. Greatest advice here. Don't get a motorcycle loading ramp. GET 2! Put one in the center of the bed / tailgate. Put the 2nd one to the left. The center one is for the bike, the left one is for your feet to walk up it.
  3. Do not EVER attempt to sit on the bike while going into the bed. Crank the bike, rev it up enough to let the bike do all the pushing, and you follow it along and balance it.
  4. If the breakover angle looks sharp enough to catch the underbody Tupperware, find a place where the ground behind the truck is higher that where the rear tires are. I have to do that all the time because my truck is a 3/4 ton 4X4 and it sits high, making my breakover angle steep.
  5. Slide the ramps into the bed when done. Mine fold longways. Meaning, a 6' ramp turns into a 3' folded ramp. Secure them how you choose (I frequently do not secure them, maybe not a good idea, but they don't move around on my rubber mat).
  6. As for securing the bike, I will leave that to your discretion.
In my case, I have a long bed truck, and would never have a short bed. So I can shut my tailgate, when loaded. I've had my long bed for 20 years, and still love and prefer it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do not EVER attempt to sit on the bike while going into the bed. Crank the bike, rev it up enough to let the bike do all the pushing, and you follow it along and balance it.
I suspect you are significantly larger and/or stronger than I. I can barely keep my 650 balanced from the side, powered or not. I use your method to load my (much) smaller Genuine Buddies in my truck bed, but I'm not comfortable even pushing my Burgman around the garage unless I'm straddling it. Once she starts to tip, there's usually no way for me to stop her.

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
Thank You, Thank You 7milesout, I’ve got a 1997 Silverado full size bed...Please tell us how you tie it down. I’d like to load mine in a truck but am a bit leery ....A trailer would be cheaper than a bunch of busted tupperware ......but I hate trying to back a 4’x8’ trailer when someone’s watching 🥴

·
Registered
191 Posts
I only tied my Burgman down once. I did the traditional fork tie-down, with the figure 8 shaped nylon hoops, and used the passenger handles in the rear. Worked well. But when I tie in the rear, I mainly only focus on what will prevent the rear tire from hopping toward one side or the other, I don't tie the rear down with much vertical force. I tie a bike straight up and down. But I leave the kickstand down just in case, unless it feels super secure. Just looks mo' bettuh with the kick stand up.

When I bought my Burgman was the first time I ever had a bike and had a utility trailer. So it was easy to load, but I still didn't ride that sucker in there, I walked it, and let it pull itself up the ramp. After a year of getting my son's BMX bike, gear and tools rained on, I finally bought a (used) camper top for my truck. He's not BMX'ing of late, but the cap remains. I was also stuffing yard debris in there and that got old quick, trying to shove it all up under the cap, and the cap is a very tall one. The yard debris loads were very small even with a tall "Pappy Cap" and a long bed. One day I made 5 trips to the recycle center and that's all it took to convince me to get a utility trailer. I can pile the crap sky high on the utility trailer and use a couple straps to pull it down and secure it. A utility trailer is a good tool to own. I haven't put the Burgman in the bed of the truck, but would if the Pappy Cap was gone.

I've seen guys park their bikes on the kickstand and then tie it down. But I would think jolting impacts on the kickstand (while traveling down the road) might not be optimal to the kickstand … and wood floor. It would be nice to put it on the centerstand, but it has to be rolled back to get it on there. And then strapping would tend to walk it back forward, possibly off the centerstand. That and the centerstand landing gear might tend to do a number on my wood floor too. So, probably best to just forget the centerstand.

When tightening on the front fork, I don't really push down on the forks. I lean the bike left and right and pull the respective strap tighter. It's easier, and effective. And I repeat that iteration until secure and upright.

dogboy - You are probably spot on. I am 48, built like Shrek, smell twice as bad, and played college football.

7milesout

·
Administrator
18,223 Posts
This is what happens when you tie down just to the handle bars using Canyon Dancers. My buddy tied his down and then while driving, hit a deep dip with the right wheels and the bike went sideways. I had an extra handle bar set.

bit too close.jpg

·
Administrator
18,223 Posts
I rode it from his house to mine like that. Not easy feeling.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you're using a trailer, the easy and safe solution is to mount a wheel chock in the front. Since I use a folding trailer, it takes me 10 or 15 minutes to install the chock when I unfold the trailer, and about the same when I'm doing the opposite. When I ratchet strap the front wheel to the chock, all the other straps become almost superfluous because the bike isn't going anywhere. I use Canyon Dancers and cinch straps to keep Rosie upright, but I don't tighten them much. I use a couple of cinch straps in the rear to keep her rear end from sliding around. I used to attach them to the grab handles on top of microfiber cloths to protect the paint, but now I connect them to my Fehling racks adjacent to their bolt locations.

If I were to make a habit of moving Rosie in a truck bed, I would definitely find a way to install the wheel chock in there. Method would depend on your truck. My Tacoma has a plastic (or something like it) bed so I would mount steel bars above and below the bed to provide rigidity and attach the chock to those. I installed a tie-down bar in there years ago and that's what keeps it secure.

·
Registered
851 Posts
burgmans don't like unpaved roads, they don't like their bars used as tie down points, and has been mentioned before, the windscreen doesn't like going down the road backwards,. I'm not sure how you are going to close the gate with it on a diagonal unless you have a very strangely shaped gate, and getting the lardy in and out of the pickup bed will require several refreshing beverages and probably half days ration of cusswords. Best idea I can come up with, have wifey drive truck, you ride bike behind (not good to have irate wifey behind you in a heavily laden vehicle with you on a ---anything) but then,, if you are taking her,,, camping in a good quality inn with climate control and restaurant will lighten that trailer a bit. You are 63, too young to die of campicide by swmbo.
If you are not married, burgmans are great chick magnets, you should be able to get a "temp" pretty easy. (getting rid of them is the hard part.)
'Campicide', I love it!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you are not married, burgmans are great chick magnets, you should be able to get a "temp" pretty easy. (getting rid of them is the hard part.)
This is, indeed, true. Last summer a lady friend of mine asked for a ride and I have not been able to get her off since. Not that I'm complaining... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
This is, indeed, true. Last summer a lady friend of mine asked for a ride and I have not been able to get her off since. ;)
Try Wine, Full Organic Body Oils with a touch of Barry White .

Reactions: dogboy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just my opinion but I would not do the train you mentioned. I am a long term commercial driver and having something like that is more of a pain than doing it the right way. Figure a way to put it in the truck and you will be much happier. Yes I have seen this in the states and it doesn't work well. It does work but you are limited in what you can do and where you can go. I also have the Givi windshield and highly recommend it. Much better than the stock windshield but it is more flexible in a high wind situation.
Just a note that you probably saw with your new Givi windshield. "Top speed with windshield installed 85 mph (136.8 kmh)

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm glad I opted for the Clearview. I hear that it is thicker than the Givi, so maybe it'll be good for an occasional top speed run (very few I'm sure).

21 - 40 of 47 Posts