Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took delivery of our new 2012 Burgman 650 in Jan 2012 and a few months ago there has been a sound (seemingly coming from the transmission), which lasts for 2 to 3 seconds, and sounds like a whirring sound combined with a distance train whistle. The bike can be on it's stand with engine off, and suddenly we hear the sound. We sometimes hear the sound when riding (combined with the engine noise). I have heard it make the sound when the bike has not been in use since the previous day and no-one is near or in contact with the bike. Often, I ride the bike and it does not happen. I have discussed it with the local Suzuki service people but they haven't heard it or had experience of it before, (they do not have a great deal of experience with the Burgman). They have checked the bike and transmission and basics like oil etc and all okay. They say it must be okay but I suspect it is not normal. Does anyone have any ideas and what or how I should investigate this further?

Ps. I had not heard the sound in the first 5/6 weeks after taking delivery of the bike or prior to the first service. Apart from the noise the bike is running beautifully.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
If you think about it logcally, with the engine not running you wouldn't get any noise from that or the transmission. That sounds to me like the famous 'Burman burp'! It's just the fuel tank venting, nothing to worry about. I'm sure others will confirm this. :thumbup: :D

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
one way to find out is to depressurize the tank by unscrewing the gas cap and venting the pressure every time you stop the engine, if this stops the noise you know the problem , at least until you get tired of doing it,
I had a similar noise , high pitched whirring train whistle thingy, tried the gas cap, and the high pitched whirry noise asked what I was doing, wahwah waah wah waaaaahhhhhhhh :roll:

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
It is the vent on the gas tank. It is located on the right side of the bike right above the transmission so that is why the sound seems to come from the transmission area. Nothing to worry about it's normal.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Give your Burgy some Prilosec before you feed her. :lol: . My friend had this issue for a while on his 400.
After a while it will go away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the same issue with my '07 Burgman. My wife was out in the garage one late evening, and came back in the house to tell me that my bike was haunted. She said that she was walking by it, when it made a funny kind of babbling sound. Like a little baby was on the opposite side of my bike from where she was walking by. Since I had read the post on the funny burping sound some other members had reported, all I could do was chuckle. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If you make any further responses in this thread then you are showing a helluva lot more interest in the matter than the o/p who posted the question.

Suggest we let this lie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts