Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will definitely be going to the dark side soon. Have 4,400mi on rear tire now. My question is why have some owners who had the 165/65 go to the 155/65?? Also, what percentage do these tires change the speedometer? Does the 165 make the spedo more accurate or does the 155 do better?

I am having a hard time to find someone to take off M/C tire and put the automobile tire on. Looks like I will have to have a motorcycle dealer take off the tire, and then go to a car tire shop to have it "darksided." :cool:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I use 165/65-14, simply because I already had the tire in my basement.
Even though the tire is noticeably larger than the 160/60-14 M/C tire, I still have to set my SpeedoHealer to deduct 7.2% from the speed signal to get the speedometer dead on.
Given the choice, I would buy a 155/65-14, to get a less clumsy tire.

The SpeedoHealer is addictive. I gaze at the speedometer saying 52, and I know that I am going exactly 52, not 46.8
After using a GPS for many years, it's hard-wired in my brain that a speed displayed as a number is the actual speed, while a traditional speedometer with a scale and needle is grossly optimistic.
The SpeedoHealer makes the speedometer accurate, like a digital one should be.

No, an optimistic speedometer won't save you from getting a speeding ticket, an informed choice of riding speed while knowing your actual speed and the leeway given by LEO's will.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Been all kind of posts on here about Car Tires (size and speedometer error).

My last before breakdown was the 155 x 65 and liked it better than the 165 x 60.

165 x 65 had some people talking of bumping the fender (bottom of storage compartment). I had a few scrapes on mine (not significant wear) with the 165x60).

Closer you can get to 160x60 better off you will be. Speedometer error was, I think, 7% as mentioned above with the 155x65 (who cares -- just subtract 7%). It was near 10% with stock tire.

My 650 has been broke down since Dec of 2013 (CVT I guess as clutch looks OK). Doubt I will mess with fixing it. 73800 miles on it. By the way --about 30000 of that was Car Tire.

Never heard of the healer before -- but if not too expensive it would be nice.

·
Administrator
18,711 Posts
OK, with about 1000 miles on this 185/60 HR 14 tire I am running, I'd have to say DON'T. It runs ok and corners dry ok but in the rain I do not like the feel in a corner.

Putting it on the center stand is easy. The tire slightly rubs the pavement while up on the stand.

The speedo seem to be dead on 70 at 70 MPH as seen crusing next to a cop car with a digital dash.

When I had the 160/60 on, I would travel 163 miles to and from work in two days and it would take just at 3.2 gallons. Then the 165/65 was 152 miles and the same 3.2 gal's. Next was the 155/65 and 156 miles at 3.2 gal's. Now this 185/60 is 143 miles and guess how many gal's to go the exact same place? So my mileage would seem to be going down with the taller tire. The OEM MT would get 51 MPG and this 185/60 is getting 44.7 MPG.
I am using the same amount of gas to the same place.

My first choice would be a 155/65 that is almost 4/10 of an inch taller than OEM. Next would be the 165/65 at 9/10's taller. Or go back to a bias ply MT at 150/70 14 that is 7/10's taller. This 185/60 is 1.18 inch taller than a 160/60

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm coming up quick on rear tire replacement time. I'm not too worried about finding someone who will do the change, but I am concerned with getting the right size. Based on what I can find at tires-easy.com it seems as if the Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW is the closest to the original tire size. Any thoughts, good or bad, on this tire?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I'm coming up quick on rear tire replacement time. I'm not too worried about finding someone who will do the change, but I am concerned with getting the right size. Based on what I can find at tires-easy.com it seems as if the Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW is the closest to the original tire size. Any thoughts, good or bad, on this tire?
It works fine. I put about 8,000 miles on it, no problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm running one right now. I like it a lot, but as for comparisons I don't know cause it's the only tire I have run. The speedo error for me is the speedo reads 4mph faster at hwy speeds. Corners great.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am using the same amount of gas to the same place.

This is what I would expect. Back in the days when I designed equipment for commercial applications the engines had a fuel curve where lbs per horsepower hour would be higher both at lower rpms and at the higher rpms. Since the horsepower required to move the bike doesn't change, I would suspect the engine rpms would be in the more efficient range anyway so no change in fuel burn. Same with overdrive on mine, there is no difference on mpg

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Administrator
18,711 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm having the same trouble Paul was having getting the tire to stretch over high heel of the motorcycle rim. What was the answer Paul??

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had my nephew mount mine. He used some silicone gel used for assembly of tight fitting rubber hoses. I can't remember the name of it. NAPA has it. My nephew calls it 'No Yelling Jelly' - if that helps...

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I'm running the Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14. Have just under 6k on it with no problem I found my speedo error has dropped to just 5% over from 10%. Had motorcycle shop pull the MC tire off. My son & I mounted the CT with no problem just took some doing to get it seated. :( Once seated I played with the air pressure & found 38 psi worked the best. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Desert Rat, you said you were running a Federal Formoza FD1 165/60R14.. Was there or is there any clearance problems at all?? Such as getting it in place and putting the axle back in? How close to rubbing on seat trunk or swing-arm?? Sorry about all the questions. I just want to find the best tire for my needs. I really need a taller tire than stock Bridgestone Battleaxe.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Once you get the bead to set on the wheel everything goes back together just like stock - no problems whatever.

The problem with a tire much taller than 165/60 is it rubs the plastic underneath wearing a hole in it - that will allow water dust and small rodents inside. The 165/60 seems to be 'just right' - it does not rub but I've got the shock preload jacked up to 4th position. And 38-40psi is also 'just about right'. I tried as low as 30psi but it just makes the slow speed wobble in a corner more pronounced. When he first installed it my nephew said he put 35psi in it - it felt 'nervous' and on edge the first time I rode it - in the rain going home. I discovered he had put 45psi in it. It didn't feel right. Once I got it to 37-39psi it felt much better. I aired it up to 40psi the other day - feels good.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The "correct" tire pressure depends very much on your weight. Mine has gone up to 165 lbs, but 30 psi still feels right.
To much pressure, and the sidewall won't deform as required to keep a good contact patch and avoid the "going up on an edge" feeling. To little pressure, and you get the felling of riding on a 30" Pilates training ball at low speed.

The link given brings up a wrong size at 195/60R14.
Later, Jim
That's because the 165 is sold.

The original item is no longer available. We have selected another similar item below.Original item: NEW Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60 R14 75H TL BSW TIRES

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Have anyone try ?

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 155/65R14

Nokian make some of best tire on planet.

·
Administrator
18,711 Posts
The tallest tire I would mount is a 165/65 14, then 155/65 14, 165/60 14 and 155/60 14 from tallest to shortest. The 155/65 14 is between the two 165's.

I am running a 185/60 14 and it will rub without grinding the swing arms casting some, TOO TALL AND WIDE. My top speed went from 112 MPH to 95 MPH MAX. I can not get it above 95 on flat ground.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts