Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I haven't even decided on a 650 burgman yet but I like what I see and have read about it
so I'm looking and here's what I've found locally and I was asking you guys for advice on which
one to get.
I am mechanically CHALLENGED so IF and WHEN service will be needed, I'll have to
take it to a dealer.

Here are some that I have found:
======
2008 Burgman 650 Executive
8k miles
$4500
and they WILL consider taking my 2007 Suzuki DRZ400s (very pimped) in trade. This saves me from forking out any money at all since the bike is for sale anyway.
======
2003 Burgman 650 Executive
22k miles
$4k
Person is also including Givi rack and box and windshield and some other stuff.
======
2003 650 Burgman
50k miles
$2500
Also including a whole bunch of stuff including I think a Givi case and other goodies and I THINK two helmets with intercom.
======

I'd like to hear pros and cons including the equipment that's included but above all, pros and cons on the YEAR model and Mileage.
If I were certain that the 50k miles were no problem, I'd get the last one.

By the way, other than the electric mirrors and windshield, what else does the Executive have and how much more does it way
than the regular 650?

Thanks for any help

George

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
In a nutshell, I would lean towards the 2008, as they will do the trade on the other machine. It's sounds like a lot cleaner transaction.

There is no 2003 Executive, that didn't happen till '06.

More here

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
If you are "mechanically CHALLENGED" then go for the newer model with fewer miles. There is less chance that something will be worn out and need replacing and Suzuki has made some upgrades over the years to address issues in specific areas.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The Executive also has ABS and a passanger backrest.

Bill

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would get the 2008 because it has less miles, has the Executive accessories and it will have running improvements to correct issues of earlier models.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As other replies have written, the 2008 would be a better proposition for the reasons already stated - later model with some manufacturer upgrades over older models, less mileage, executive model (ABS (which should be on all vehicles IMO), adjustable screen (once you have had one and used it -it is very useful for all year riding), adjustable mechanical mirrors (great for splitting lanes, or just manoeuvring in tight spots/spaces), pillion backrest as standard (which if you want to fit a topbox needs to be removed). Trading for your current bike also makes it a less painless transition IMO, even though you MIGHT get something more in selling your current ride privately - means slightly more hassle and means your capital could be tied up for awhile. The earlier models you are considering might sound tempting especially with all the farkles added in, but even if the 2008 executive is stock standard there isn't that much more to add aside from a top box if you are so inclined, and there are plethora of choices in that department from expensive Givi's to Bestem options and everything else in between. I'd say you can't go to far wrong buying the latest model you can afford. Go with the 2008 which is $4500 compared with the $2500 3rd (your preferred) option which is an older model. Even it was a choice ONLY between the two 2003's I'd be going for the one with less mileage even though it'd cost more initially, but it's also an executive model which comes with a premium type assortment of goodies (outlined above). That other 2003 with 50K miles is getting up there in terms of mileage - so I'd be thinking about possible tranny failure at worse or other items that need servicing especially given your self proclaimed lack of wrenching skills, which likely means dealer time (co$t).

Just to correct something that another poster mentioned... the executive model has been available since 2003, I know as I own one along with a 2007 executive too. The 2003 executive just may not have been sold in the USA when it was first released is all. So a 2003 executive is absolutely 100% possible.

However I know what I'd be buying out of the three choices you've presented, it'd be the 2008 executive for all the reasons I've written.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I would skip the 03/04 models, they have some inheritant mechanical challenges that will pop their ugly heads sooner or later, like the wheel bearings, unenforced center stand, CVT design shortcomings etc...

the 05+ models have a few updates that can provide some additional peace of mind...

good luck...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
My recommendation is easy, 2008.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I plan on going to see it tomorrow possibly.

I'll let you guys know regardless :)

Talk to me a little bit about the weight and also the difference in weight between the 400 and 650.
I'm just worried it's gonna be a little heavy. I'm in totally sucky shape (you cannot image HOW bad it is)
and my back's really bad.

I don't plan on dropping it but of course, I might but I will also have to push it out backwards through
a gate that I have and this is probably going to be my main issue.

Does anyone think I might NOT go for that ride because I feel the bike is cumbersome or pain
to get going?

George

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, is the $4500 for the 2008 Executive with 8k miles a good price?

Can the drivers backrest be removed completely and if so, is there anything in the back
that'll bother you like any brackets or anything?

Thanks

George

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
guiri said:
...I don't plan on dropping it...
Does anyone plan on dropping their Burgman?

You either have dropped your bike, or you will. It's almost like taxes and death. It'll happen. ;)

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
The 650 is not an easy bike to push around. For one thing it weighs over 600 lbs. Add to that it does not have a true neutral and it has a wet clutch. When you are pushing the bike you are working against drag in the clutch. When you go to check it out try pushing it around with the engine off and see how you do.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The weight difference between the 400 and the 650 is about 110 pounds. Yes, the driver back rest can be completely removed. All you will see are the two holes the backrest bars fit in to. Also the 650 is heavy but I have my problems (age 80) too and have had a 650 for the last 4 years and not ready to give it up.

Bill

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I rode my friend's 650 before I bought my 400. Because of the lighter weight and because it freewheels due to the dry clutch, the 400 is much easier to move around. I found the 650 is much easier to find than a 07 or newer 400. The 400 is not nearly as powerful as the 650 but it has plenty of power and speed.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
guiri said:
Talk to me a little bit about the weight and also the difference in weight between the 400 and 650.
I'm just worried it's gonna be a little heavy. I'm in totally sucky shape (you cannot image HOW bad it is)
and my back's really bad.

I don't plan on dropping it but of course, I might but I will also have to push it out backwards through
a gate that I have and this is probably going to be my main issue.
Even though I'm pretty "fluffy," I work out on a regular basis, with both free weights and aerobics, four or five days a week. When my back is acting up, which it does periodically (thus the need to keep my core strength up), it's definitely not pretty when I need to back up my 650. And when the 650 gets off center, it doesn't take much of a lean before it's too late for me to get it back to center and better to just let it fall. I would offer that trying to catch it to keep it from falling isn't something you'd want to try to do with a bad back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good advice people.

What about an 05 400 with 8k miles for around $2500?

Yes, I was leery about the size and weight even before I got to the forum but you know
how it is, the bigger the better although I KNOW better (yes, pun intended).

I feel that the 400 is enough anyway as I had a 50cc and it hauled me around without a problem.
Mind you, this was an exceptional 50cc.

The NO clutch thing bothers me as I had a dirtbike that kinda did the same thing.
It was horrible to push.

Also got some advice about the maintenance of the 400 vs the 650

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Daboo said:
guiri said:
...I don't plan on dropping it...
Does anyone plan on dropping their Burgman?

You either have dropped your bike, or you will. It's almost like taxes and death. It'll happen. ;)

Chris
I knew I was gonna get called out on that one.
Reminds me of an episode of Scared Beyond Straight that I watched the other
day and the cons are telling the kids that are there (to hopefully get scared to go straight)
that NO one plans on getting caught but sooner or later, everyone gets caught and this con
is asking the others, did anyone here plan on getting caught? :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
guiri said:
Good advice people.

What about an 05 400 with 8k miles for around $2500?

Yes, I was leery about the size and weight even before I got to the forum but you know
how it is, the bigger the better although I KNOW better (yes, pun intended).

I feel that the 400 is enough anyway as I had a 50cc and it hauled me around without a problem.
Mind you, this was an exceptional 50cc.

The NO clutch thing bothers me as I had a dirtbike that kinda did the same thing.
It was horrible to push.

Also got some advice about the maintenance of the 400 vs the 650
I would want a 400 that was a 08 or newer. They made a lot of improvements in the 400 in 07 and the bugs were worked out by 08. Both the engine and tires are larger along with a lot of other improvements. I paid $3,200 for my 08 a month of so ago with 9,400 miles on it. I think the retail book is around $3,600-3,700.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
If the 05 400 has been well maintained then I would say it could be a good buy. It will definitely be lighter and easier to push around than a 650. In addition to my 07 650 Exec I own an 06 400 that now has almost 38,000 miles on it . The 03 to 06 models are all pretty much the same. Suzuki did a major redesign in 07 so the 07+ models are completely different.

Though the 07+ models are different I don't see a big advantage in buying a used one over buying a used 05 model. The 03-06 models are actually a little lighter and lower to the ground. There was a slight increase in engine displacement with the 07 model. It went from 385 cc to 400 cc. In practice it doesn't make much if any difference in performance. I can accelerate with and run with the 07+ model 400 with no problems.

One big difference is in the way the valve adjustment is done on the two engines. The 03-06 models have what are called screw type adjusters. The 07+ models have bucket and shim type adjusters. For practical purposes what this would mean to you is the screw type adjusters need to be check more often. Since you will be paying someone to do it that is an extra cost. Balanced against that is screw type adjusters are easier to deal with when actual adjustments have to be made. What that will mean to you is it will cost you less when you actually have to have the valves adjusted. So it is kind of a wash.

Past that, some of the 03-06 models have an issue with using oil if run at high speeds for extended periods. It appears the oil is drawn up through the crankcase breather and into the throttle body from the air cleaner housing. Not all of them do it, my 06 never has and a friends 05 doesn't either. Another friends 05 does though. At any rate it's not a big deal. You just need to remember to check the oil after you have ridden a few hundred miles at higher speeds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts