Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I finally got my Skywave 650 test bike -- and now it's freezing here in Tokyo. I'd like to use my electric jacket/gloves for my weekend tour. Can anyone kindly tell me how to access the battery? :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, me too (please)!

(Picking up my new 650 next week)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the LX (Executive in Europe). The electric mirrors are worth their weight in gold in city traffic :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hopefully you folks have owner's manuals. :wink:

Open the seat, look forward of the engine compartment, just before the seat hinge you'll see the battery cover. Pull up on the black plastic pin and the cover will release. The thing with wires going to it on top of the cover is the starter solenoid - do not attach accessory leads to that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paul :p Gotta say that this bike ROCKS! The ride home from work in power mode had me grinning the whole way :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Accessing the Battery

Be Careful!! If you are removing the battery without removing the seat, as most do,you'll want to tip the battery towards the rear of the bike to get it out of the battery recess. Suzuki batteries come with small rectangular nuts inside the terminals for the wires to attach. As you tip the battery, the nuts WILL fall, and are difficult to locate. I recommend reaching down and putting a small piece of tape over the terminal before removing the battery.

Frank

·
Registered
224 Posts
Excellent point about the nuts falling out while tipping the battery out Franklin. You could turn the screws back in after separating the wires from the terminals, and before pulling the battery out. They'll hold the nuts in pace, and you don't have to remember where you layed the screws when you want them next time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

I'm relieved that the 650 battery will be so accessible. :)

On my beloved Piaggio X9, to get at the battery required me to unbolt the top box, dismantle the rear carrier, and then unscrew the rear body panel behind which the battery was lurking. :?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Twinrider said:
...Can anyone kindly tell me how to access the battery?
And let's not forget that we also have an accesory recepticle in the glove box; another way to "access the battery."

·
Registered
250 Posts
Brian said:
...let's not forget that we also have an accesory recepticle in the glove box; another way to "access the battery."
I thought that that was ignition controlled. If I'm right, then it's not much use for connecting my battery tender to (Optimate III). Or am I wrong?

(Can't wait for delivery day!)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
chiefkeefe said:
Brian said:
...let's not forget that we also have an accesory recepticle in the glove box; another way to "access the battery."
I thought that that was ignition controlled. If I'm right, then it's not much use for connecting my battery tender to (Optimate III). Or am I wrong?
Well, you didn't say anything about a battery tender in your first post, just electric gloves and jacket. Presumably you'd only need those when the ignition was on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Brian said:
...you didn't say anything about a battery tender in your first post...
True. I'm still 'conceptualising', Brian, and wondering how many sockets I should add to the Burger, and where I should position them.

I'm sure it'll all become clearer once I've got my sweaty mitts on the new bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention....

I phoned the dealer today. Apparently, the snow we've recently had over here has actually delayed delivery of my new 650, would you believe. The dealer is not now expecting to take delivery until Monday pm so an early March 1st collection is looking unlikely as they have to PDI and fit my accessories before I take ownership.

Tantalising.

:cry:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
chiefkeefe said:
...I phoned the dealer today....an early March 1st collection is looking unlikely...
Good things come to those who wait.

Look at it this way; you'll have more spring weather days for breaking it in properly. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
chiefkeefe said:

(Can't wait for delivery day!)
Keith.
As stated your assumption is correct.
I wired my Optimate tail directly to the battery. The tail is long enough so that you can leave the weatherproof connection just below the seat line - pull it out a inch or so when you want to hook up - and then push it back up behind the seat line when complete.

The accessory socket seems by all accounts to be only 'potentially' useful because it is ignition live only and is poorly located.

I need to sort a live feed for my GPS and when I get the Lardy naked to do this I may also reconfigure the feed to the accessory socket and its location. I will know better once I get the tupperware off.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Norman

Thinking back ... my old Silverwing used to have a power socket tucked away uselessly into the back of the left (lockable) glove box.
I installed a weather-resistant DIN socket in the lid of the glove box, powering it from a plug into said socket.
You can just about make it out here.
I wonder if something like this might be possible on the 650?
Perhaps a whole bank of similar sockets could be installed, one each for the GPS, waistcoat, intercom, etc.?
Hmmmmm

Now, all I need is my 650 to try it out on .... next week ... seems a long time to wait :(

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Keith

Nope couldn't figure it at all! :D

I get 'No Image Available' when I click on your link:

·
Registered
250 Posts
:?

Sorry, finger trouble! It should work now, but here it is anyway ...

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
That looks real neat and would work well on the Lardy.
I think a socket under the seat would be better for heated clothing use - with a tail and 'break-away' connector. In fact you could whack it straight into the Optimate tail!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts