Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own this scooter since the beginning of January 2014 and since then I have been concerned with the way it behaves when I ask for a little power when negotiating sharp corners or turning through roundabouts ON WET CONDITIONS (Slippery??) "the engine revs like is not engaged and suddenly it does! so the rear wheel gets a burst of unwanted power which makes me feel I am just about loose the bike" this only happens in slow speed situations and my head goes backwards and forwards like saying YES to everybody on the road. Is this a normal on these Scooters, is there any adjustments that can be done to avoid this? Would any body out there be able to advise please. Regards Clem

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have a 2007 650 Burgman that I bought 10 months ago and so far in the 7,000 miles that I have put on it I have not experienced this phenomenon and I am mighty glad of it. Might be selling it sooner than expected to if that started happening to me.

I hope that it is not the CVT starting to go out of you. Sure is a scary thing in my book and I am very interested in finding out what the culprit is.

Whatever it is, I hope that it is a cheap and easy fix for you.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
How slow are you going when this occurs. Is it below about 8 mph (13 kph). If so what you may be experiencing is the clutch disengaging and reengaging.

To keep this from happening keep just a little bit of throttle on and control your speed with the rear brake. This will keep the clutch engaged. The process is kind of like using the clutch and throttle together on a conventional bike when doing low speed maneuvers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
do as buffalo has just said, I had the same problem on my new 650,I had some hairy times on small roundabouts at low speed, so what buffalo said is correct.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with you all, I will try what Buffalo suggested for the time being. Kot, I might need a bit more info as to how check the TPS? but I think is what Buffalo said; clutch disengaging and engaging again but if is this normal it is pretty rough. Personally I think it should be engaged till just about to stop or to say the least as soon I apply a bit of gas... thank you guys! I am off to work now Clem

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thank you Kot for the TPS link! I must this is all new to me. What are the rest of the guy (Buffalo, Kieran etc.) think of this? I will check this tomorrow. Thank you Kot I will let you know what did I find. By the way those glasses don't suit you mate. Regards Clem

·
Registered
220 Posts
I do find that a little throttle through the corners, including roundabouts and parking lots maneuvers is best done with a little throttle. This has always been the way I do my turns with all my motorcycles, this way you are in control of the scooter and coasting through the bike is controlling you. On a manual bike you can feather the clutch, but on an automatic clutch it's either locked up of not, so for smooth operation it will depend on the riders control of the throttle.

John

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I do find that a little throttle through the corners, including roundabouts and parking lots maneuvers is best done with a little throttle. This has always been the way I do my turns with all my motorcycles, this way you are in control of the scooter and coasting through the bike is controlling you. On a manual bike you can feather the clutch, but on an automatic clutch it's either locked up of not, so for smooth operation it will depend on the riders control of the throttle.

John
That's why we have a hand operated rear brake; for low-speed control by keeping the drive train loaded and stabilizing the chassis.
You can go amazingly slow and make tight turns by keeping the throttle at a fixed position and controlling speed with the rear brake.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Personally I think it should be engaged till just about to stop or to say the least as soon I apply a bit of gas... thank you guys! I am off to work now Clem
If it stayed engaged down that slow you would get the same kind of bucking you get if you let the clutch out to fast with the engine speed to slow on a manual shift bike or car. The engine can't run effectively that slow.

It will reengage if you put on just a bit of gas but you have to give it time for the engine to come up to speed. If you give it gas real slow and let the engine come up to speed slowly it will engage softly as the rpm hits the magic number. That's difficult to do. Much easier to keep the engine rpm up and control the bike speed with the rear brake.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I did started the scooter and during the warm up period the reading on the speedo was O speedy! That is good so next is follow your advice and learn to manage my riding in a different way as most of you guys do and Buffalo also mentioned as well "Much easier to keep the engine rpm up and control the bike speed with the rear brake." Let's see how things develop my friends. I am in debt with you all... Clem

·
Registered
220 Posts
I also feel that you may not be executing the proper way to make sharp turns, remember the proper way is to look 20-30 feet ahead of where you want to go and look for a spot and drive to that spot. You will be amazed on how sharp of turn you can make, your mind will tell you how to get there and you will be adjusting speed and braking without thinking about it. Practice on this method of making tight turns and you will be amazed at what you can do in tight spots.

John

·
Registered
118 Posts
Clem

The throttles on these 650 burgmans are very sensitive. A little input kicks in abruptly. It takes a lot of throttle & rear brake combo to get it to ride smoothly. You can try what I did as well which was to get a throttle tamer to slow down the abruptness of the throttle input. G2 makes one for the Burg and it has helped smooth out my throttle inputs and made riding the Burg more enjoyable. Here's a link to their site. http://www.g2ergo.com/

Note I have no affiliations with G2 and do not make any money on endorsing or recommending them. Just trying to help a fellow Burg rider enjoy ther ride better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts