Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, yesterday my Burg suddenly lost torque, i.e. I was accelerating to overcome another vehicle, but suddenly it like switched to neutral. Engine is revving freely and no torque is on the wheel. There were no FI`s on the dash. While the engine running I can`t hear any sound from the CVT motor as I switch the CVT between auto-manual mode (seems like the CVT is not spinning, that`s why CVT motor is not able to change CVT position). Wheel is spinning freely iself

I`ve he just before the accident some strange ticking noise while the CVT was freerunning (not accelerating, nor braking)

Any suggestions of what it can be?

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
How many miles are on your Burgman and how long have you owned it ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm no expert Iluhis but it sounds like the drive belt to me. Please keep us advised if you would and good luck.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Either the drive belt or the pulley bolt has come loose and stripped the splines. I would check the bolt if that's still tight likely the belt. Either way the CVT will have to come off the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles are on your Burgman and how long have you owned it ?
I`ve driven it for a 5K km or 2500 miles (odometer says 57K kms, but I`m not sure if it is a correct mileage). Previous owner did install a used belt (I`ll ask him tomorrow about it), but no one knows how long ago and the belt`s original mileage. 3000 km ago I`ve seen this belt and it seemed OK - there were no signs of damaged plates on it.

Today I`ve dismounted CVT motor and tried to check CVT internals. The front part of CVT is turning with the motor, but the belt is not moving - we were trying to spin the bolt under this cap (and, yes, this bolt fell in two parts 300-350 km). and there was a strange dust under the cap on the opposite of the CVT, looks like graphite"bolt under the cap"

I can touch the belt and even place a finger between the front part of CVT (inner part of it) and the belt.

I can feel some minor vibrations while touching the belt when the rear wheel is spinning as if it is lying on a spinning part (rear CVT part), but there is no movement of the belt.

I'm no expert Iluhis but it sounds like the drive belt to me
I think the same, but a friend of mine (he is a mechanic and owns several Burgs) thinks the belt is alive. He has seen this belt 5K kms ago (last year) and he is absolutely sure it was OK and should last a long time. But he has another version, when the belt or CVT was installed incorrectly on the service station and it was a reason of a belt break

p.s. maybe I`m using not the best words to describe, English is not a native language for me and it is a bit difficult to describe something in English, when I don`t know some of these parts in native Russian :)

img_20200727.jpg

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Iluhis , your english is great ....you’re coming thru loud and clear. I wish you a speedy recovery from this set-back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pulley bolt has come loose and stripped the splines
do you mean that a "magic bolt" (CVT pulley bolt) that is fixing the pulley? Do you think it could be a reason of instant loss of torque?

I`ve had a damaged pulley in the place where the bolt is fixing it, but we have "rotated it" and made a new mounting point on the other side of the original point.

I have checked it after 1000km after repair (or 2500 km ago from now) and it was fully OK

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
I will agree, translating Russian to English is hard. Vse khorosho

In that picture it shows what I think is ground up spline metal. That bolt needs to be removed and then the whole spline tube cleaned so you can see inside.

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
The Primary adapter is made from compressed IRON alloy's and is softer than steel. The hollow tube with female splines is steel. So the adapter should fail first.
The primary splines on the CVT shaft have been known to strip and then spin. A HUGE design flaw from the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That bolt needs to be removed and then the whole spline tube cleaned so you can see inside.
I will ask them to clean it. And, anyway, I think they will remove it while dismounting the CVT?
The primary splines on the CVT shaft have been known to strip and then spin
we have made a new milling on the about to opposite side on the damaged pulley and changed the "magic bolt" of the needed size. We had to make a new hole in the hollow tube to fit the new milled place on the pulley

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is how the bolt was when I had previous CVT failure (it is for the picture for the CVT pulley above)

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I`ve seen this belt and it seemed OK - there were no signs of damaged plates on it.
When the belt breaks it is not because the plates are damaged. It's because the 2 fiber loops that the plates ride on come apart. When the belt is in one piece you can't really see anything but the small outside edge of the loops. So you can't really tell if the belt is going to break by looking at the plates.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
789 Posts
Enjoy seems you have the same issue

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
Here is a picture of Maccecht's CVT's stripped splines. You can see the same metal dust.
20200201_153511_1580597630589.jpg

Reactions: Rusty J
1 - 14 of 14 Posts